Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water marks even though water has a reading of 0

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jacob Lawrenzo

Good morning,

I own a small cleaning company in Surrey, we've cleaned ovens & carpets for 11 years, but we are now venturing into window cleaning.

Whilst we start & build up the window cleaning division I opted to buy a Streamline battery powered WFP trolley system. It came with a TDS meter. When I first tested the machine on my windows at home, it left water marks. I tested the water and it was showing between 5-6 ppm. I changed the resin and now it's reading zero ppm. However, it's still leaving pretty bad watermarks. What could be the reason if the water is "pure"? Can any additives be added to the water to help, or will these be neutralised when run through the resin? 

Many thanks in advance.

No doubt it's your cleaning technique, a first clean will take 3-4 times longer than regular clean and full and thorough rinse should avoid the issues you are having, as you are based in Surrey you may be in a very hard water area you will go through your resin in no time, what's your tap tds?

Good morning,

I own a small cleaning company in Surrey, we've cleaned ovens & carpets for 11 years, but we are now venturing into window cleaning.

Whilst we start & build up the window cleaning division I opted to buy a Streamline battery powered WFP trolley system. It came with a TDS meter. When I first tested the machine on my windows at home, it left water marks. I tested the water and it was showing between 5-6 ppm. I changed the resin and now it's reading zero ppm. However, it's still leaving pretty bad watermarks. What could be the reason if the water is "pure"? Can any additives be added to the water to help, or will these be neutralised when run through the resin? 

Many thanks in advance.
Have you read the forum or considered first cleans remove years of road grime, dust, soap residue and the water sits under the seals, frame edges and in the breather vents

You finish cleaning walk away and the water trapped finds it's way out running down the glass leaving marks.

Another top tip is to always have a secondary tds tester to cross reference your system production 

the reason your leaving water marks is inexperience mate.....it could be dodgy rubber seals,oxidised frames,not enough rinsing contributing to less than a professional job.....

can you not go out for the day with an experienced wfp cleaner?this would do you the world of good as you have to adjust your technique depending on the condition/style of windows your cleaning

Good morning,

Many thanks in advance.
Do you rinse with the brush on the glass or off?

if on the first clean your brush gets dirty and you are rinsing on the glass that would cause spotting. 

The o/p couldn't have been too bothered about his problem. He joined on Monday at 7.17, posted his question at 7.41 and then hasn't returned to check for any answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
No doubt it's your cleaning technique, a first clean will take 3-4 times longer than regular clean and full and thorough rinse should avoid the issues you are having, as you are based in Surrey you may be in a very hard water area you will go through your resin in no time, what's your tap tds?
Thanks for your response. I'm sure you're absolutely correct that it's my inexperienced cleaning technique, I'll practice more on my windows and friends & family's windows before launching it as a service.

Water at my home in Surrey is reading approx 240 ppm.

the reason your leaving water marks is inexperience mate.....it could be dodgy rubber seals,oxidised frames,not enough rinsing contributing to less than a professional job.....

can you not go out for the day with an experienced wfp cleaner?this would do you the world of good as you have to adjust your technique depending on the condition/style of windows your cleaning
Thanks, that's good advice going out with an experienced wfp cleaner for the day.

What's your TDS PPM count on your tap water? 
Hi, it's approx 240 where I live.

The o/p couldn't have been too bothered about his problem. He joined on Monday at 7.17, posted his question at 7.41 and then hasn't returned to check for any answers.
I really appreciate all the responses. 

Work has been hectic this week; I also have a 7 month old foster baby at home and we had a 20 week scan at the hospital yesterday, got a girl arriving around NYE! ✌️

Do you rinse with the brush on the glass or off?

if on the first clean your brush gets dirty and you are rinsing on the glass that would cause spotting. 
Hi, I rinsed with the brush off to start, but I probably haven't rinsed enough.

Thanks for your response. I'm sure you're absolutely correct that it's my inexperienced cleaning technique, I'll practice more on my windows and friends & family's windows before launching it as a service.

Water at my home in Surrey is reading approx 240 ppm.
Using resin to produce pure it's totally pointless then, you will go through resin in no time at all, if you bought this https://www.streamline.systems/product/streamflo-25-portable-trolley-system-25ltr/ with the resin vessel to produce pure on demand then to point you've wasted some money as it just isn't suitable to produce pure on demand with a tap tds of 240ppm

Good morning,

Many thanks in advance.
Is it leaving water marks on ALL windows that you clean?

Hi Jesse Couldn’t see an image of the windows, but it might well be the Frames were extra dirty and then running onto the windows and leaving Mark’s or air vents, water dripping from them. If it was white marks on the glass it could well be the frames milking which is oxidisation and the frames will need a good rub to get rid of it. Hope this helps

The above post have plenty of advice. Have you tried any of them?

Also not directed at you but what's with all the old posts been resurrected recently. It's really frustrating having to scroll down to the relevant point where the new msgs start

Latest Posts

Back