Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Water tank fitted cost on insurance.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Its a bit crazy then if a builder can take a pallet of bricks in his van, I cant see how that is any less dangerous than a tank of water, say both strapped down.
Water will surge bricks are static. One is permanently in the van the other is just being moved to site big difference from an insurance point of view 

I'm with Admiral and have just renewed. It's gone down from £292 to £247. That's with the Mrs on it and she had a prang in October. Nowhere on my policy does it mention a fitted tank. They ask if you carry hazardous materials, which I don't. I don't understand why so many people are being asked about water tanks from their insurer. I have never been asked.

Are people carrying gas cylinders declaring they're carrying a hazard?
I mentioned it to them on the phone and told them it was professionally fitted and asked about it been on the policy so it was on their system so since then it has always been on policy,

for years it never was when I was with A-plan and I started having doubts about A-plan as it was all verbal over the phone nothing ever in black and white, if it's on the policy they can't wriggle out of a claim, that's the way I see it as the biggest insurers are the worst for wanting to wriggle out of a pay out. 

Its a bit crazy then if a builder can take a pallet of bricks in his van, I cant see how that is any less dangerous than a tank of water, say both strapped down.
If you Google about carrying loads you'll find you'll be directed to a Gov website they put it all on the driver and or the company about ensuring a load is secure and go on about mentioning having systems in place to prevent movement and by that having a tank or something else which is permanently in a van or truck been secured that to me means having a tank bolted in with a frame, 

Now I have interpreted what I read in my own way, someone else may view it differently and an insurance company will interpret what the Gov has down in black and white and ultimately decided if a driver has took all the nessecary steps to ensure they have done everything that they should have to secure what they have in their load bed and prevent an accident,

Pics of a lashing point removed from my van, I'd not want 500kg strapped to four of those and hope they don't shear through the floor in the event of an accident 

20200202_115541.jpg

Most vans couldn't handle a pallet of bricks as they have to many tool boxes and sun newspapers littered all over the van. They all have trailers and then have to technically ensure all loads are secure and covered 

If you Google about carrying loads you'll find you'll be directed to a Gov website they put it all on the driver and or the company about ensuring a load is secure and go on about mentioning having systems in place to prevent movement and by that having a tank or something else which is permanently in a van or truck been secured that to me means having a tank bolted in with a frame, 

Now I have interpreted what I read in my own way, someone else may view it differently and an insurance company will interpret what the Gov has down in black and white and ultimately decided if a driver has took all the nessecary steps to ensure they have done everything that they should have to secure what they have in their load bed and prevent an accident,

Pics of a lashing point removed from my van, I'd not want 500kg strapped to four of those and hope they don't shear through the floor in the event of an accident 

View attachment 26433
Yeh there not worth even having really, putting temptation there but maybe good for holding down a , erm, bag of light bits and bobs? ton of feathers? ( well maybe not a ton, would have to be compacted fairly)

If you want to know if your insurance is valid ring the insurance company and ask them about your tank. You might be surprised!
Totally agree mate, but not as surprised as @Tuffers will be if he actually has any sort of crash or incident or gets stopped for a routine check by VOSA or the local old bill. Crazy to take the risk when as you say pick up phone disclose all to insurance company and if they say they dont need to know then get that in an email and happy days 

Totally agree mate, but not as surprised as @Tuffers will be if he actually has any sort of crash or incident or gets stopped for a routine check by VOSA or the local old bill. Crazy to take the risk when as you say pick up phone disclose all to insurance company and if they say they dont need to know then get that in an email and happy days 
There's either been a misunderstanding or bold disclosure of fact which worries me. Either he hasn't got the correct cover or hasn't informed his policy provider 

Disclaimer. Just adding my opinion on a matter that will invariably affect all of us via price hikes and regulations 

You may however are you a window cleaner and carrying a tank that's noted legally  within a trade policy 

Which doesn't make any sense when you read it.
You typed 

I'm insured to carry my own goods.

I replied 

You may however. are you a window cleaner and carrying a tank that's noted legally within a trade policy 

Yeh there not worth even having really, putting temptation there but maybe good for holding down a , erm, bag of light bits and bobs? ton of feathers? ( well maybe not a ton, would have to be compacted fairly)
A ton of feathers, now that would better than an airbag going off into your face 

That’s why I put my comment above.

Every insurance company ask if there are any modifications to the vehicle. Having a tank bolted through the floor full of water is exactly that 
Also included in modifications is a fitted towbar, roof racks and non factory standard alloys. 

My son has been with his insurance company for a few years now. (Not sure which one.)  They have just renewed every year with the same details as the year before. Last renewal they found that the insurance company had removed all the modifications. 

The lesson learned is that we all need to ensure that the details are correct on every renewed policy. A reduction in insurance premiums could be a red flag. As @Apw1210says, he was driving around in an 'uninsured' insured van. 

The thing is that when they queried this, the insurance company took no responsibility for their error. He was told he should have checked his policy to ensure it was correct before renewing it. 

Thankfully they weren't involved in an accident the previous year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also included in modifications is a fitted towbar, roof racks and non factory standard alloys. 

My son has been with his insurance company for a few years now. (Not sure which one.)  They have just renewed every year with the same details as the year before. Last renewal they found that the insurance company had removed all the modifications. 

The lesson learned is that we all need to ensure that the details are correct on every renewed policy. A reduction in insurance premiums could be a red flag. As @Apw1210says, he was driving around in an 'uninsured' insured van. 

The thing is that when they queried this the insurance company they took no responsibility for their error. He was told he should have checked his policy to ensure it was correct before renewing it. 

Thankfully they weren't involved in an accident the previous year.
It's Easy to accept a cheaper or general renewal based on the requirements to operate but spending a good hour reading through the schedule and certificate files can be the time details are changed to truly represent your vehicle.

Failure to do this will catch up with you in a costly and embarrassing manner 

Latest Posts

Back