Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What did you do before window cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I think the guy runs both his business that way he also runs a garden maintenance side for me IL get my round and it's all done on percentages so gives you motivation to crack on and more money for him aswell not only that but once your finished you go home if your employed most will make you work till your hours are up as I said I hope IV made the right decision jus have to wait and see 
I'm not thinking window cleaning is a bad move by any stretch of the imagination. I left a 40k a year job in April 2018 and I already earn more than that. I set myself some targets at the beginning of the year and I've already achieved them. This is a growing industry where you can earn a lot of money.

You've got a positive attitude and that's a good start. Depending on what percentage he's offering it could be a good little earner for you and a springboard into the industry. A franchisee usually takes 80% of the gross takings for example, for some that percentage would decrease as the earnings went up so as to accommodate wages for an employee. The thing is they would require a 10k buy in and you supply your own van. This is truly self employed and you're running your own business. If you're not expected to find the customers or pay for fuel 60% would be fair IMO. If you're expected to find them yourself then 70-75% maybe. There's also the issue that he's actually employing you full time and basically ducking out of paying NI contributions, holiday pay, sick pay etc. HMRC are cracking down on this quite hard and he may well find himself being forced to declare you an employee if you're there long enough to submit a tax return etc.

On a much more cheery note... Make sure you're getting a good percentage of the takings and invest some of what you make in equipment for yourself, start on your own as soon as you can. Once you have enough for your own stuff offer to continue working for this guy for a higher percentage of the takings using your equipment while you build your own round!

Cick said:
Ye these are all concerns of mine but with limited people wanting to take on somone who hasn't done it it's a way in and just see how it goes IV got a logo made up what do you think ? 
The logo looks great but I don't get it mate, this all seems a little cloak and dagger. The thread starts off by asking what people did before window cleaning but what it's actually eluding to is asking if window cleaning is a good idea. I don't understand why you would need a logo if you're just going to be an employee using someone else's van and equipment ? forgive me if I've read this wrong but I got the impression you were looking for validation that having the job title 'window cleaner' ain't so bad and not actual advice about this particular role.

The logo looks great but I don't get it mate, this all seems a little cloak and dagger. The thread starts off by asking what people did before window cleaning but what it's actually eluding to is asking if window cleaning is a good idea. I don't understand why you would need a logo if you're just going to be an employee using someone else's van and equipment ? forgive me if I've read this wrong but I got the impression you were looking for validation that having the job title 'window cleaner' ain't so bad and not actual advice about this particular role.
Sorry I'm probs a little all over the place in this myself I'm going to be working with the guy if it all goes well and I really enjoy it I want to move on to doing a few bits for myself and eventually if that goes well sky's the limit I guess but if I need to register self employed I may aswell have a company name get the name logo right and I don't need to mess with it later on if that makes sense 

And ye sorry if I got off topic the main point of the thread was to see what people did and the types of people that make it 

And ye sorry if I got off topic the main point of the thread was to see what people did and the types of people that make it 
Thats cool mate, threads go much further off topic than that ?

I've done all sorts of jobs, literally too many to list. It's difficult to judge the people that make it as the bulk of these guys work for themselves. Honest truth is you can make it if you work hard and are committed, no magic formula or type of person. Two bits of advice I would give you if you want to be successful at this. Make sure you're being given a decent percentage and if you're subbing for someone you shouldn't be finding your own customers.

Apprentice Photo Lithography 20 years in print, advertising and design, money was very good back then but loads of stress to go with it., nothing in it these days, then last ten years in Fruit farming, jacked that after giving it a go at another farm for a few months back in June, got fed up with the 6 days a week 12 hour shifts during harvest time and falling asleep at the dinner table. taken a part time job in a supermarket whilst setting up in window cleaning, almost ready to throw myself into it, after having to rest my shoulder after damaging it working in farming...

Two more weeks and be all steam ahead...

Grew up in fishing towns and villages so started fishing as a teenager and paid for university with fishing. Then I got bored/patriotic/gullible so I volunteered for 3 years in the USMC and made less than I would have fishing. Got real busy with fishing after that until I wanted to spend more time with family so I switched to public administration with just occasionally fishing until I was 47. In my spare time I was also in the National Guard (similar to the Territorial Army) for more than 20 years, including allmost 19 months of active duty for the war in the desert. 

The decent paying jobs were out of town so for more than 11 years I had to be gone a lot. Then my wife developed medical issues and I needed to stay home to assist her so I got a job managing a janitorial company in my small town. Then I cashed my savings and bought the company and expanded into WC and I do a bit of carpet cleaning. I prefer WC work and the $ is better but the janitorial is stable 12 month revenue and I can afford to have part time employees do all the janitorial now so that I can concentrate on managing the business and doing WC.

Back