Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is going on with my TDS?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

99.9% of the time it will be due to fitting.
It's not actually set up as it will be, my plan was to get it operating at its optimum outside where I can address any leaks before putting it in the shed. 

There will be a sediment filter before the fiberdyne as it seems there's a lot of sediment in the supply.

But otherwise I believe that's all plumbed up correctly to test the membrane

20200517170037_IMG_2372.JPG

20200517170118_IMG_2373.JPG

That water in the clear filter looks very dirty ?.. 
The filter housing is stained as a very clogged sediment filter had been left in it for a while. I'd thoroughly cleaned it before hand and no amount of effort could bring it up. I didn't think that could have any effect as it would still have to pass throughout the carbon filter.  Maybe I'm wrong?

The filter housing is stained as a very clogged sediment filter had been left in it for a while. I'd thoroughly cleaned it before hand and no amount of effort could bring it up. I didn't think that could have any effect as it would still have to pass throughout the carbon filter.  Maybe I'm wrong?
I believe the sediment filters have no bearing on the performance of the RO membrane.

So I took the inlet side end cap off, checked the membrane o ring, can't see anything wrong. I used a screwdriver and knocked the membrane in towards the housing but everything was snug.

Here's a pic of the membrane, maybe there's something I'm missing
spacer.png
20200517181103_IMG_2375.JPG20200517181551_IMG_2397.JPG20200517181108_IMG_2376.JPG

Like I said before @con95a I'm gonna see how this week goes and I'll be giving mine a few good long flushes and hopefully that might improve things. Maybe just try that and see how it goes?

Like I said before @con95a I'm gonna see how this week goes and I'll be giving mine a few good long flushes and hopefully that might improve things. Maybe just try that and see how it goes?
At this point I don't have many other options ? I've heard of membranes "settling in" but just can't forsee it'll improve that drastically. I was hoping for 95% efficiency at the very least.

5% improvement seems a long way to go... here's hoping!

At this point I don't have many other options ? I've heard of membranes "settling in" but just can't forsee it'll improve that drastically. I was hoping for 95% efficiency at the very least.

5% improvement seems a long way to go... here's hoping!
Well I'm currently in the same boat so you're not alone. I was hoping it was gonna be instant. But I've heard and read different things like they need at least 8 hours flushing. I've also heard people flushing them for 5-10 minutes  and getting perfect results. It's a bit mind boggling. But surely if plumbing is all correct, it's seated correctly etc etc the only thing left is it's a faulty membrane ?‍♂️ however the next thing is pressure but again, these HF5's are purposely made for low(ish) pressures right...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm currently in the same boat so you're not alone. I was hoping it was gonna be instant. But I've heard and read different things like they need at least 8 hours flushing. I've also heard people flushing them for 5-10 minutes  and getting perfect results. It's a bit mind boggling. But surely if plumbing is all correct, it's seated correctly etc etc the only thing left is it's a faulty membrane ?‍♂️ however the next thing is pressure but again, these HF5's are purposely made for low(ish) pressures right...
Yeah, my thing is there's no way to prove its faulty. The manufacturer would just say it's not been used as per the specs (80psi, right water temp etc) and if sent to them, I bet under perfect conditions they'd get it working well. I'll update on here how I get on with mine. Maybe if the membranes we got are from the same batch they used plenty of preservative so will take a while to settle

Did you change the Fiberdyne at the same time as there have been issues with the wrong Fiberdyne purchased which has contributed to high ppm.

I might have found something. I thought I'd time the production of 1 litre with the gate valve fully shut (it has a hole drilled through) which I presumed was 50/50 ratio. But the timings seem to indicate that's not the case 

1 litre of product = 28 seconds

1 litre of waste = 16 seconds

I don't know the math to figure out what ratio that is, but I think I need to replace the gate valve with one that isn't drilled. Would that make sense? 
I think you have cracked it. You need more waste. So just open your gate valve a little to increase that to a little more than the pure you are getting. 50/50 waste to pure would mean you would fill each 1 liter container in exactly the same time. Your pure to waste ratio is 64% pure and 36% waste. Its the wrong way around. 60% waste to 40% pure is a good starting ratio. Once you get the ratio right just mark the handle so you can reset it after flushing.

Purefreedom drill a small hole in the gate valve paddle to allow some water to waste if someone should fully close the gate valve so as not to damage the membrane. You don't have to buy another gate valve.

As the others have said; you need to change those prefilters. Your carbon block is the most important as it removes chlorine from the water. Chlorine eats membrane material.

I believe the sediment filters have no bearing on the performance of the RO membrane.
If its blocked it will do as it restricts the flow of water to the membrane. Restricted flow means reduced pressure which will reduce the efficiency of the membrane.

I think you have cracked it. You need more waste. So just open your gate valve a little to increase that to a little more than the pure you are getting. 50/50 waste to pure would mean you would fill each 1 liter container in exactly the same time. Your pure to waste ratio is 64% pure and 36% waste. Its the wrong way around. 60% waste to 40% pure is a good starting ratio. Once you get the ratio right just mark the handle so you can reset it after flushing.

Purefreedom drill a small hole in the gate valve paddle to allow some water to waste if someone should fully close the gate valve so as not to damage the membrane. You don't have to buy another gate valve.

As the others have said; you need to change those prefilters. Your carbon block is the most important as it removes chlorine from the water. Chlorine eats membrane material.e
Even tho I have a Pure Freedom system I also think this is what is up with mine too. This is why I was asking @Part Timer what he was doing with his PF system. Maybe they have calibrated mine wrong somehow? Gonna try and measure mine hopefully later on today after work.

Sorry I don't understand, if I'm producing 1 litre of waste in nearly half the time it takes to produce 1 litre of pure, isn't the ratio in favour of waste? More waste than pure every minute. This is the gate valve fully shut. 

I tried opening the valve more and this just resulted in pressure dropping and output TDS rising. However much waste I've tried the efficiency is around 90% 

As the others have said; you need to change those prefilters. Your carbon block is the most important as it removes chlorine from the water. Chlorine eats membrane material.
I hope not, the fiberdyne carbon filter is brand new. I purchased it with the new membrane. 

Sorry I don't understand, if I'm producing 1 litre of waste in nearly half the time it takes to produce 1 litre of pure, isn't the ratio in favour of waste? More waste than pure every minute. This is the gate valve fully shut. 

I tried opening the valve more and this just resulted in pressure dropping and output TDS rising. However much waste I've tried the efficiency is around 90% 

I hope not, the fiberdyne carbon filter is brand new. I purchased it with the new membrane. 
Sorry, you are right. My brain switched over this morning and is working in reverse.

The gate valve is working OK. Sorry for my confusion.

I  have looked more closely and see you are just running a side carbon filter without a sediment filter. Your first filter looks empty now I look more closely. It just looked as though the first filter bowl looked very reddy brown, the same colour as our sediment filter becomes when it get to the end of its service life. Our water is full of sediment.

Sorry, you are right. My brain switched over this morning and is working in reverse.

The gate valve is working OK. Sorry for my confusion.

I  have looked more closely and see you are just running a side carbon filter without a sediment filter. Your first filter looks empty now I look more closely. It just looked as though the first filter bowl looked very reddy brown, the same colour as our sediment filter becomes when it get to the end of its service life. Our water is full of sediment.
Oh no worries, just glad I haven't been battering the membrane.

Yes I ordered the sediment filter from a different supplier to bulk out an order and it's only just arrived, the housing is stained though from a previous user leaving dirty filter in. 

Not sure if this will reveal anything, but when on complete flush the little water that comes out the pure end is reading at 85-90 ppm. (Tap = 295-300) Is this normal? Wondered if it could be a small amount of waste mixing in

The inline meter arrived this morning so has been easier to monitor results. 

Right I've been able to measure my timings. Here's the results:

Water from tap - 410ppm (I know I cry)

RO - Bringing it down to 31ppm

Time to fill 1L of pure - 22 secs

Time to fill 1L of waste - 9 secs

Pressure - 50psi.

Any ideas @spruce @doug atkinson

Back