Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When you meet another window cleaner in person

WCF

Help Support WCF:

southcoastkev

How does everyone find meeting a fellow window cleaner in person?

I'm yet to find one that isn't at least polite (touch wood). Most are ever so friendly and a few years ago I'd been up and running about 6 months and one even let me try his SLX as I was about to buy one as I'd been saving up.

But some of the window cleaners on the facebook groups etc can be quite aggressive and even nasty with one another. I know online gives anonymity of sorts but often it's completely unnecessary.

Most of the ones we bump into are very good we even give them some leads for stuff we donโ€™t want and they do the same with bigger jobs that they canโ€™t do or donโ€™t want works very well , several have come out and we have trained them how to do different aspects of the job , there are one or two who look daggers at you but the majority are fine

Most are fine but there's one I don't particularly like and I always feel obliged to talk to him for 10 mins when I see him.just because we re window cleaners doesn't mean I have anything else in common with him....I think he could be a danger to young women.not joking either!๐Ÿ˜ฎ

How does everyone find meeting a fellow window cleaner in person?

I'm yet to find one that isn't at least polite (touch wood). Most are ever so friendly and a few years ago I'd been up and running about 6 months and one even let me try his SLX as I was about to buy one as I'd been saving up.

But some of the window cleaners on the facebook groups etc can be quite aggressive and even nasty with one another. I know online gives anonymity of sorts but often it's completely unnecessary.
I know nearly all of my local counterparts and have a faultless relationship with them.

Happy to pass around work if too busy or muck in on large jobs where many of us work together and share the fee.

Like any trade there's always a few who see themselves as a hierarchy. There's enough work for everyone and there's no real reason to not get on

I get on so well with the other windie that does a similar round to me, that I often sell him excess work, and we play snooker every other week.
Another guy that works local to me now does all my jet washing and conny roofs and pays me a commission.
Sometimes getting on with other windies can be lucrative ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘

A while ago someone said to me to not treat other people who do the same thing as competitors, but more as colleagues. Especially in "luxury" service providing jobs I think that's important - we're collectively creating a "need" for something that people only ever will WANT (i.e. they will never NEED their windows cleaned). Thought that was an interesting and positive way of looking at it. To that end, I always take the time to stop and introduce myself if I see new windies, and always give a honk on the way past ones I already know, or a brief chat if I'm out the van. I do the same with posties around my round too. It's nice to be nice, and when there are miserable -----s, I make it a point to try to wear them down by being kind and positive. It's worked on a number of occasions, but there is one postie who remains staunchly miserable, angry and complaining. :rolleyes:

I don't mean go all millenial about it - dying your hair white blond, consuming quinoa with soy milk latte while blogging about the joys of being a window cleaner. :LOL: I just mean a genuine smile or nod and an open "how's it going" and being glad to see another human being making a fist of it in this world.

Just my thoughts.

@steve garwood that's the best way mate. The window cleaner that let me try the SLX does a lot of high level flats and high gsf cleaning etc which I don't do, so if I get that type of enquiry I pass it to him. He in turn has passed me the odd job too

@Stuart S couldn't agree more mate. Life can be tough enough as it is without any unnecessary grief. There's a mixture of wfp and traditional cleaners near me. Two traditional cleaners are a pair of brothers who people said they can be a bit off with others. They turned up and cleaned the next door neighbour when I was at a customer. I just said hello and quickly introduced myself. If they see me now they always say hello.

Think it depends on where you operate.

West of Scotland has its fair share of alright people (usually younger) mixed in with the old school, bitter territorial types.

You need to watch purchasing runs as some will try and get back in - chipping away at the customer base (normally undercutting) which they dispensed with (sold on).

A while ago someone said to me to not treat other people who do the same thing as competitors, but more as colleagues. Especially in "luxury" service providing jobs I think that's important - we're collectively creating a "need" for something that people only ever will WANT (i.e. they will never NEED their windows cleaned). Thought that was an interesting and positive way of looking at it. To that end, I always take the time to stop and introduce myself if I see new windies, and always give a honk on the way past ones I already know, or a brief chat if I'm out the van. I do the same with posties around my round too. It's nice to be nice, and when there are miserable -----s, I make it a point to try to wear them down by being kind and positive. It's worked on a number of occasions, but there is one postie who remains staunchly miserable, angry and complaining. :rolleyes:

I don't mean go all millenial about it - dying your hair white blond, consuming quinoa with soy milk latte while blogging about the joys of being a window cleaner. :LOL: I just mean a genuine smile or nod and an open "how's it going" and being glad to see another human being making a fist of it in this world.

Just my thoughts.
I totally agree with Stuart and do exactly the same thing, always be friendly, polite and respectful of everyone ๐Ÿ˜€ it gets to go a long way . A toot, wave and smile makes everybody feel better and promotes peace and good working relationships in the area. I am now 65 and been in business 34 years with a big round. So it's always worked for me ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘

I find most fellow windys are up and down with there moods!!! (Get it?) .I'm on nodding terms with 90% of em. That'll do me nicely.
Yet to meet a lady windy tho yet.strange that.mmm. just sayin.

Back