Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Winter wear

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I stuff hand warmers down my gloves to take the edge off first thing on a morning until I warm up. I find good breathable long johns really help and waterproof shoes/boots are a must.

I've been to Gooutdoors and decathlon last week.  Yesterday I went to just Gooutdoors.  Today I'm going back to Decathlon.  I've not bought anything yet, it's doing my head in, too many options.  I get that picky that I end up getting nothing  :1f602:

Think I've narrowed down for the trousers though, gooutdoors has some water resistant fleece lined regatta one's that you can tighten at the bottom of the leg via buttons.  They are £45 and don't seem baggy, haven't got my size in stock but they look good for the really cold days.  

I looked at some Craghoppers which were like combat pant but with a fleece like lining, they were also £45 but I don't think they were water resistant and they looked baggy, there was also no adjustment for the bottom of the leg.

Currently still wearing shorts and t-shirt, if it's cold I just throw on a thermal vest but finding I need to remove it half way through first house.

I think I might just stick with my rain jacket that I've had for years, it's served me well and still keeps me nice and dry, won't be many days that I need it as I try and avoid the rain.

So for me I'm thinking this is what I'll be getting.

Fleece lined trousers for really cold days

Over water proof trousers for working in rain

Thermal vests

Possibly a wind proof gullet with a hood and good neck coverage for the days with a biting wind

then for gloves it will be anything that gives good grip with nitrile disposables underneath (warmer days just use nitriles)

Cap

Woolly hat

Boots...ahhhhhhhh don't even go there, lol.

Think I've narrowed down for the trousers though, gooutdoors has some water resistant fleece lined regatta one's that you can tighten at the bottom of the leg via buttons.  They are £45 and don't seem baggy, haven't got my size in stock but they look good for the really cold days.  

I looked at some Craghoppers which were like combat pant but with a fleece like lining, they were also £45 but I don't think they were water resistant and they looked baggy, there was also no adjustment for the bottom of the leg.
Don't get fleece lined you'll only end up with sweaty b0llocks, no matter how cold it is. Nowt worse than that. 

Long sleeved thermal top sweat shirt , snood , bobble hat

long johns , thin breathable waterproof trousers I use Nash carp fishing pants

ecw boots walking socks and Showa 282 gloves

This an ok jacket because you can remove the internal fleece jacket, the fleece collar and the arms if you want. Got some good sized pockets for big phones as well. I bought it last year and still wearing it. Still not cold enough to have the fleece collar on yet. Its ok in light rain, heavy rain it wont last all day. I just put over a rain jacket if it gets really bad.

Portwest PJ50YNRL Series PJ50 Hi-Vis 3-in-1 Pilot Jacket

In my opinion Francie  the ecw boots are the best dry feet all day 

there not the cheapest of boots but they do as they were made for extreme cold weather.

I am a traditional window cleaner (ladders). When I was in my 20’s I’d wear long johns and thermal vests. These days (late forties) I don’t even wear a coat, Just a good jumper. (Climate change)but on my hands I have found ‘wondergrip thermal’ gloves. Good grip and very warm. 

Back