Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working in the snow....

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well snow is expected over christmas what do people do in long periods of snow? Especially if no hot water system
Build a snowman ?

Oops, not politically correct, snow person ?.

On a series note. Just except it’s better to leave the van on the drive and have some time off.

Chances are your water will freeze when trying to work (even with hot water which I had for ten years). You’ll get your van damaged by incompetent drivers. Or worse, you’ll get stuck somewhere, walk home, go back to your van once the snow has gone to find it’s been broken into and your gear nicked.

Put a nest egg away in the better months as a buffer. ???‍?

Well snow is expected over christmas what do people do in long periods of snow? Especially if no hot water system
We don't get long periods of snow these days, Last year we got 2ft of snow within an hour I wasn't going anywhere apart from out with the dog in my town there is bank or sizeable hill to go up or down to get out and get back it's completely pointless venturing out as @steve garwood said you'll get stuck behind incompetent drivers one person gets stuck and people just stop behind creating a bigger issue my wife has the common sense to drive around these idiots who shouldn't have left the house 

Also factor in most people are selfish and streets don't get cleared by neighbours like they used to years ago so you'll only be going into streets and get stuck and no one is going to come and help you as they content clearing their driveways and watching people out of the window getting stuck but how could they push a van with 100's of litres in the back anyway

I'll be in tenerife so not bothered....I've got a hot water system too and I don't work if there's thick snow on the ground...

The problem is my van getting stuck(or crashing)in the snow with half a ton of water in the back....its not worth the risk mate....plus I've got a 26k emergency fund built up so no worries about paying bills....

I'll be in tenerife so not bothered....I've got a hot water system too and I don't work if there's thick snow on the ground...

The problem is my van getting stuck(or crashing)in the snow with half a ton of water in the back....its not worth the risk mate....plus I've got a 26k emergency fund built up so no worries about paying bills....
I was booked to go to Tenerife on January 8th. Just read stories online of people missing their flights as staff are off because of covid, so ironically, massive queues are forming that are waiting to have their covid status checked.

Also last year my neighbour had to dash home early as Tenerife was put on the red list.

Can’t be bothered with the hassle, so moving the family holiday to March.

Have another booking out there with the lads in early February, just going to wait and see for now ?

26k emergency fund? Mate get yourself another house & start renting. You can be off the tools within a couple of years ?

26k emergency fund? Mate get yourself another house & start renting. You can be off the tools within a couple of years ?
I needs to buy a house and that money will sharp disappear ?  he is already renting that's why he has 26k in the bank 

If my wife didn't want us to keep moving into houses that need a full renovation I'd be lot richer ?

Anybody else worked today with the snow we had in Yorkshire?

I still cracked on, but wondered what your guys opinions are working in snow? 

Windows cleaned fine, had 2 customers cancel on me for the clean today with a text at start of day before the snow had even stopped ?, but turned into a nice day. The only 2 things I really noticed was 1. Couldn't do skylights because of snow on covering them completleView attachment 22875y (custys were fine about it) and 2. I couldn't see any dog poo so was walking around some gardens and just hoping, as I know it will have been lurking underneath. 

View attachment 22874
If you can drive safely with weight on board, gain and maintain traction and your system isn't frozen or jets iced up crack on. 

I'd love some snow only ever get rain.

Worked in Norway and Canada for along time so embrace the cold 

Thought it was 40k ? ???

If you can drive safely with weight on board, gain and maintain traction and your system isn't frozen or jets iced up crack on. 

I'd love some snow only ever get rain.

Worked in Norway and Canada for along time so embrace the cold 
I've never not driven my van because of snow or ice.

The weight of water is an advantage for traction and if the van gets damaged that's what insurance is for.

Drive properly and it is safe anyway... I've driven grit lorries for extra cash in the past gritting car parks etc and driving in horrendous conditions whilst well in negative temperatures in the wee hours.

Take a shovel in case you get stuck and crack on lads.

I've never not driven my van because of snow or ice.

The weight of water is an advantage for traction and if the van gets damaged that's what insurance is for.

Drive properly and it is safe anyway... I've driven grit lorries for extra cash in the past gritting car parks etc and driving in horrendous conditions whilst well in negative temperatures in the wee hours.

Take a shovel in case you get stuck and crack on lads.
I understand your view @Dave BI'll stay off the road if I feel it's too icy or snowy though. It's not my driving standards I'm worried about. I'm quietly confident in my own safe standards ( full car, hgv and motorcycle licences. Plus Advanced Motoring Pass Certificate) It's the other clowns I share the road with that I worry about. There's not a day I don't see stupid, aggressive or inconsiderate and selfish driving : inappropriate speeding, poor anticipation, late braking, harsh steering, failure to follow fluid traffic blending practices. A lot of these folk will not have had any serious training or experience of driving in ice or snow and they're dangerous enough in good weather conditions.

If the van gets damaged or written off I could be down for weeks. If I have to replace the van I will have to source, pay for and aquire an unknown vehicle. Arrange and pay for signwriting and I'll have to do it all in a hurry. Then I will have to transfer all the equipment over and hope it's a good vehicle. That's if my son and I escape injury.

There's no guarantee that the insurer will side with me. No guarantee that they'll win against the other insurer if they do fight my corner. My insurance costs will go up regardless.

On balance, I'll stay safe off the road for the very few days it usually lasts and go back rested and with renewed vigour after. The work and money won't be lost, only delayed for a short while.

We each have our own ways and rightly so. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I was booked to go to Tenerife on January 8th. Just read stories online of people missing their flights as staff are off because of covid, so ironically, massive queues are forming that are waiting to have their covid status checked.

Also last year my neighbour had to dash home early as Tenerife was put on the red list.

Can’t be bothered with the hassle, so moving the family holiday to March.

Have another booking out there with the lads in early February, just going to wait and see for now ?
We re going at 6am Xmas eve.....my missus won't be though as she's got covid and has to isolate until Xmas day....

In the unlikely event that it snows here in paradise my van will be staying safely tucked up on the drive well away from the numb nuts, it's not worth the risk.

The biggest problem I find is too many two wheel drive cars wheel spinning up every hill polishing the surface to perfection, that and the idiots in their jacked up Shoguns who think they are indestructible.

Subaru rules! ?

Back