Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working when raining

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hello guys I’m doing okay started up 2 weeks ago now only been canvassing twice and by a customer telling me about a app called neighbour hood I’ve got customers coming to me I’ve around 22 customers which as amazed me 

how much dose it have to rain before u stop cleaning I don’t mind being in it but a lot of window cleaners say don’t work in it but how can u make ur money up say if it rains constantly for 2 days etc 

plus got a new wider soft medium sill brush from gardeners today are the bigger ones better than the smaller ones regards david 

Hello guys I’m doing okay started up 2 weeks ago now only been canvassing twice and by a customer telling me about a app called neighbour hood I’ve got customers coming to me I’ve around 22 customers which as amazed me 

how much dose it have to rain before u stop cleaning I don’t mind being in it but a lot of window cleaners say don’t work in it but how can u make ur money up say if it rains constantly for 2 days etc 

plus got a new wider soft medium sill brush from gardeners today are the bigger ones better than the smaller ones regards david 
If you search in the search bar at the top you will see this discussed quite a lot. 
It’s a personal choice really, some get waterproofs on and work in it, others don’t. What I would say is get good waterproof boots. Walking trousers because they dry out quickly if you are only caught in a shower. Keep as dry as you can, once your soaked it’s time to call it a day, it’s so uncomfortable,  It’s entirely up to you though, 
brushes again a personal thing. I personally don’t like the bigger brushes but lots do, again your choice. Again lots like them. 

EECC8434-6044-4E21-A014-28ED674C2A2F.jpeg

This is my new brush is it better than smaller ones 

We work in rain provided it’s not torrential, if we drive down the road with the wipers on intermittent we work if going all the time generally stop or go home . Finished at lunch time today as it was horrendous, which is unusual. Once you are well established you should be able to build up a money reserve to cover days like this .  

I did my first clean in the rain today. It all went well and custy was happy. I did stress any issues let me know as I want to make sure they are happy. 

A couple of things I found, when it's just spitting no issues at all. When it starts raining harder the rain runs down my neck! The hose needs cleaning as it picks up all sorts of mess, pole hose even more so. When the pole and your hands starts getting wetter you need gloves to get a decent grip. Having to wear glasses is a pain in the rain! 

I would say, depends on how busy you are and how long the rain is forecast. It's your business so your choice really ?  

We work in rain provided it’s not torrential, if we drive down the road with the wipers on intermittent we work if going all the time generally stop or go home . Finished at lunch time today as it was horrendous, which is unusual. Once you are well established you should be able to build up a money reserve to cover days like this .  
Thanks doing well at the moment pj got around 22 customers in 2 weeks still working 4 on 4 off in my factory job will probably break from that in 4-5 months do it slowly as I’ve kids and mortgage and been there for 22 years now but they treat u badly needed this change so all set up singing and dancing lol will take my time as I’m doing it alone and want to stay a one man team if possible any advice on all this pj please 

It’s a personal choice really, some get waterproofs on and work in it, others don’t. What I would say is get good waterproof boots.
Decent waterproofs yes, no such thing as waterproof boots they all let water in eventually I wear ankle wellies and feet are bone dry all day

I'll happily work in light to medium rain all day but if it's lashing down I'm off home or won't go out.

Thanks doing well at the moment pj got around 22 customers in 2 weeks still working 4 on 4 off in my factory job will probably break from that in 4-5 months do it slowly as I’ve kids and mortgage and been there for 22 years now but they treat u badly needed this change so all set up singing and dancing lol will take my time as I’m doing it alone and want to stay a one man team if possible any advice on all this pj please 
Just keep building and refining your work it takes time but worth the effort , try and build as compact a round as you can , if you get a new job canvass all the surrounding properties and try and build up little groups hear and there , less travelling more earning . Set yourself a minimum price of xx then when all properties are that then start increasing it by a small amount when taking on any new work then graduate increase the old work price and keep repeating this , none of us have perfect rounds they are always altering , but this will keep you up to date with pricing a few years ago I had to increase prices dramatically as I hadn’t raised them in years ,some jobs the price doubled , only lost a handful of customers, now we put up the prices every 2 years by smaller amounts . I think your approach with your old job is right you still have a guaranteed income whilst building so you are secure . Just keep doing what you are doing and any questions just ask . Working on your own will give you maximum earnings and less hassle , but will restrict your potential for  expanding into bigger commercial , but focus on the domestic as if you loose a few houses it’s no big deal but loosing a large commercial contract hurts believe me !!!! 

Just keep building and refining your work it takes time but worth the effort , try and build as compact a round as you can , if you get a new job canvass all the surrounding properties and try and build up little groups hear and there , less travelling more earning . Set yourself a minimum price of xx then when all properties are that then start increasing it by a small amount when taking on any new work then graduate increase the old work price and keep repeating this , none of us have perfect rounds they are always altering , but this will keep you up to date with pricing a few years ago I had to increase prices dramatically as I hadn’t raised them in years ,some jobs the price doubled , only lost a handful of customers, now we put up the prices every 2 years by smaller amounts . I think your approach with your old job is right you still have a guaranteed income whilst building so you are secure . Just keep doing what you are doing and any questions just ask . Working on your own will give you maximum earnings and less hassle , but will restrict your potential for  expanding into bigger commercial , but focus on the domestic as if you loose a few houses it’s no big deal but loosing a large commercial contract hurts believe me !!!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent waterproofs yes, no such thing as waterproof boots they all let water in eventually I wear ankle wellies and feet are bone dry all day
Could do with a pair of ankle wellies, getting a bit fed up of wet feet.

What do you use? Do you have a link?

You'd only be working 15 days a month up here then ?, especially autumn time. We work in heavy rain as long as it's not really strong winds as well. Many times it has been heavy rain and the rain doesn't touch the windows.

You'd only be working 15 days a month up here then ?, especially autumn time. We work in heavy rain as long as it's not really strong winds as well. Many times it has been heavy rain and the rain doesn't touch the windows.
It was to bad today had the wipers going full speed and couldn’t see through the screen , road was like a river ??? came home and had a nice delivery from Gardiners so unpacked all that and connected up a new pole for  caravans as we now have rather a lot if them and no point in using an extream  22 for them ??? converted it to hoseless it seams a nice little pole clx 10 

Do work in the rain, but heavy winds combined with rain is a showstopper for me at least.

We will leave the house in light to medium rain unless heavy rain is forecast imminently. We'll go out if we can be confident of getting at least a few hours in. We won't start the day in heavy rain but once we're out we'll stay working until we feel it's too heavy for us.
We generally have a very good idea of the weather that's coming for about a week ahead through studying the same smartphone app as small aircraft pilots and deep sea fishermen. The same one I've reliably used for planning sea kayaking trips and work for the past six or seven years. With the same app (windy) I can also see the actual weather radar animation from the previous hour. By looking at that and seeing the direction and speed of rain systems it's easy to see what's imminent and what's coming in the next few hours and I can decide accordingly. Time lost to rain is not money lost unless it lasts for weeks, it's only delayed. Unlike when clocking in working for an employer we can catch up when we're back.

Clothing: I cant remember the last time I got seriously wet. It would have been some time ago getting caught out in a deluge part way through a soapwash. Proper clothing is so easy. I can't understand the confusion over it?. Bush-hat to prevent water going down the neck £10~£20,  Regatta waterproof, breathable Dover Jacket £30, lightweight hiking trousers : Regatta, Craghopper, Peter Storm £30, Armstrong leather work boots £40 (totally waterproof). I have on at least one occasion stood on a nail, so no trainers is my choice, tin of waterproof dubbin for a few times a year treatment of the boots £5...Sorted for a little over £100. I've never had  the need for fashion labels and the prices that go with them. I don't get wet. I rarely get cold. I never get uncomfortable.
Brush: my personal choice is Supreme Dupont Tapertec.

Glad it's progressing well for you. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
3 hours cleaning in the rain today and an hour yesterday.....its not pleasant but id rather be out cleaning than sat at home earning nothing and getting behind with work.....also the great advantage of working in the rain is your customers dont bat an eyelid after a few years when you turn up in wet weather....

this is the number one reason why window cleaners dont work in the rain!...customer perception.....dont let the weather throw you off your schedule!

obviously if its really bad with strong winds to boot then finish early or reschedule for another day but i only have to do this maybe once or twice during the whole year....the rest of the time its workable...

trust me you ll feel better than sitting it out at home!it very rarely rains heavily all day either so theres usually a few hours of dry weather to work in during a wet day anyway....

Back