Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Confession time!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Herm

Okay, so this is the situation which I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me with.
I've not long started offering soft washing and landed a job to soft wash their render. Everything was going perfect and kept the ratio to roughly 3% and was looking great, had one stubborn area that still had red streaks on one side of the house. Decided it needed another going over and I stupidly put neat into the back pack without mixing with water. I got distracted and tbh I totally forgot I hadn't. I've attached a pic of the outcome and you can clearly see where the newt was applied, we had some sun and the marks vanished which made me happy but after some more rain it's come back again?!

It's all a learning curve. The customer is delighted with the house but this is annoying me. Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome.

Sunny one is there is was all gone and the dull pic was a few days after with some rain.

Attachments

• IMG-20230403-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230403-WA0003.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20230330-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230330-WA0001.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 80
Hummmmm that’s a new one on me never seen that. On odd occasions we use neat hypo on stubborn stains but not had that happen , I would be inclined to spray the whole wall with a mix again scrubb and rinse see what happens.

Thanks Pjj yeah took me by total surprise if I'm honest. I'll pop over this week to see if it's improved and I'll do as suggested. Do another 3% mix and cover that side again? I'll give it a good rinse off after.
Do you rinse off all jobs after applying? Thanks for your help.

Thanks Pjj yeah took me by total surprise if I'm honest. I'll pop over this week to see if it's improved and I'll do as suggested. Do another 3% mix and cover that side again? I'll give it a good rinse off after.
Do you rinse off all jobs after applying? Thanks for your help.
Only things we don’t rinse are roofs and pebble dash

I've seen K Rend dry patchy and then it has stayed patchy for life. I would clean the dull area again with 3% and see if it blends in. I Softwashed a few roofs today and it was my most profitable day since I started window cleaning and all helps towards the new van I will need in the future.

Thanks scottish, I'll give it a go. worst comes to the worst I'll paint the side of the house. I'll swing by this week and give it another going over with 3% mix. Hopefully it'll blend back in and over time and sun. How long are you letting it rest before rinsing off?

Thanks scottish, I'll give it a go. worst comes to the worst I'll paint the side of the house. I'll swing by this week and give it another going over with 3% mix. Hopefully it'll blend back in and over time and sun. How long are you letting it rest before rinsing off?
Usually 45 minutes but on a white wall I did I just left it. Dries to salt and when the sunlight hits it, it brings out the white and looks like its just been painted and the customer was over the moon.

Salt is corrosive so I wouldn’t leave it on a painted surface
If left on darker colours it looks like effervescence as well , always best to rinse it down , dwell time will vary on temperature , wind , strength of mix , and what you are trying to kill off. Green algae will be dead and disappear in a few muinits ,and can be rinsed off , red, black growth will take longer and sometimes will require multiple treatments , to remove different layers bit like pealing an onion someone described it to me . 20-45 muinits between applications and it needs to be kept wet so if it’s a hot day just keep applying light coats to keep it wet .

Usually 45 minutes but on a white wall I did I just left it. Dries to salt and when the sunlight hits it, it brings out the white and looks like its just been painted and the customer was over the moon.
well done on the
well done on your day mate, always nice to have a good earning day, makes it all worthwhile, thanks for the advice that's ace.

A roof clean today, Dekkra aluminium tile system with some kinda coating on top, attracts moss like crazy, good dry day and nae wind, had tae get the turbo nozzle on it but tiles came up great, be another half day on it tomorrow, £400 all in
nice one, I have spent most of the day getting moss out of a tarmac driveway, I swore I'd never do another one and I got sucked into it!! I swear there's nothing worse than cleaning tarmac.

nice one, I have spent most of the day getting moss out of a tarmac driveway, I swore I'd never do another one and I got sucked into it!! I swear there's nothing worse than cleaning tarmac.
I find tarmac easy to kill moss etc and remove using bio washing powder a day before to kill it all as hypo lightens the colour of the tarmac
A pain not being able to whack the psi up without damaging it though

Dave, are you using a FSC? I've never used bio washing powder before but if I do another I'll give it a try. It's not so much the moss removing it's the constant rinsing, it feels relentless and never looks great when dried out if I'm honest. That or I'm doing it all wrong?!

I find tarmac easy to kill moss etc and remove using bio washing powder a day before to kill it all as hypo lightens the colour of the tarmac
A pain not being able to whack the psi up without damaging it though
What do you do with the bio washing powder ? I have Hurd others say this but not sure how they apply it . If you just sprinkle it surely you have while spots everywhere?. We don’t do much tarmac but I do my own drive and hypo it it’s old and already a bit grey so it doesn’t make any difference, but agree rinsing and getting rid of small dirt and bits of grit is a Paine .

Latest Posts

Back