Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Would you startup today knowing what you now know?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's a good way to earn reasonable money but it is hard on the body
I must disagree with you there. I've done harder jobs - warehouse work moving heavy goods / pallets around by hand. Not fun, not easy and not well paid either.

The only thing i've noticed with WC is that my upper back has an issue now - that may well be coincidental though and in fact i've noticed on many jobs that using my pole and arms actually seems to ease the symptoms.

of course id start up knowing what i know now........

this job is easy these days compared to what it used to be like on ladders and collecting a few evenings a week!......round software,hot water systems,xtreme poles,electric reels,electronic payments and smartphones have made it the best paying job in the world for hours actually worked.....you cant beat the flexibility too...

the hardest part is getting the solid customer base thatll bring you in a steady income...this takes many years of refining to get to the real "sweet spot" im in at the moment........

you can never rest on your laurels for long though.....the refining never ends........

I must disagree with you there. I've done harder jobs - warehouse work moving heavy goods / pallets around by hand. Not fun, not easy and not well paid either.

The only thing i've noticed with WC is that my upper back has an issue now - that may well be coincidental though and in fact i've noticed on many jobs that using my pole and arms actually seems to ease the symptoms.
How long have you been window cleaning?

Not entirely sure why that's relevant however comparing the two jobs i can tell you WC is nowhere near as physical as some other jobs.

Yes it IS physical but not AS physical.
Never dug trenches for a living or done hod carrying, or laboured for a brickie gang. Just 3 jobs I think more physical than window cleaning.

Oh I am pleased you back you little ray of sunshine ?
I aim to please!

?

Come on! Its a job after all. Its not the meaning of life! It pays the bills, pays for my toys, and puts a roof over my head and food in my stomach. 

Next question please...

Last edited by a moderator:
And at what height you're working at, fairly certain swinging 47' poles around for a few hours a day is as hard as any job mentioned.
Years ago I had an excel carbon 45 foot pole with an ionics 18 inch commercial head on it and used that for 5 hours a day over 3 days on commercial work every 6 weeks , I sold it to a friend years ago , I was round his place a few weeks ago and he had it in his garage I picked it up and wondered how I ever used it !,,,???? it’s soooooo heavy my ultimate 74 pole is half the weight . I must be turning into a whimp ???

Years ago I had an excel carbon 45 foot pole with an ionics 18 inch commercial head on it and used that for 5 hours a day over 3 days on commercial work every 6 weeks , I sold it to a friend years ago , I was round his place a few weeks ago and he had it in his garage I picked it up and wondered how I ever used it !,,,???? it’s soooooo heavy my ultimate 74 pole is half the weight . I must be turning into a whimp ???
We started off trying to use a 47' fibreglass monstrosity, both my son and I get belly button hernias from the strain trying to use the damn thing. You were tired just extending it, let alone using it. ?  

I aim to please!

?

Come on! Its a job after all. Its not the meaning of life! It pays the bills, pays for my toys, and puts a roof over my head and food in my stomach. 

Next question please...
Yeah I agree it is just a job, but life is what you make it and window cleaning is pretty easy I prefer to work on my own so this it's ideal for me plus I get to start and finish when I chose and do what I want, a paye job simply does't offer that at all plus I would have to put up with other people ?

Yeah I agree it is just a job, but life is what you make it and window cleaning is pretty easy I prefer to work on my own so this it's ideal for me plus I get to start and finish when I chose and do what I want, a paye job simply does't offer that at all plus I would have to put up with other people ?
I just realised that I was getting irritated over the last couple of weeks, turns out I have been annoying myself at work, had to pull myself to one side and give myself a verbal warning for upsetting myself. 

Then the other day, I felt a pinch on my bum, realised it was me doing it. Now I'm facing a sexual harassment charge against myself, not looking forward to the hearing on that one. 

I suppose if it's just me though I could just keep it all quiet...oh hang on...ooops just let it slip on here..

I'll just be a duck and throw bread at myself....

NOTE TO ANYONE CONSIDERING WINDOW CLEANING AS A CAREER, JUST READ WHAT I JUST PUT VERY CAREFULLY, THAT WILL BE YOU 20 YEARS FROM NOW..

Then the other day, I felt a pinch on my bum, realised it was me doing it. Now I'm facing a sexual harassment charge against myself, not looking forward to the hearing on that one. 
As you're training to be a Solicitor? At least you can defend and cross examine yourself. You'll save a fortune on legal expenses, especially if you have to appeal the initial decision

I just realised that I was getting irritated over the last couple of weeks, turns out I have been annoying myself at work, had to pull myself to one side and give myself a verbal warning for upsetting myself. 

I suppose if it's just me though I could just keep it all quiet...oh hang on...ooops just let it slip on here..

I'll just be a duck and throw bread at myself....

?
Sounds like you are away with the birds. ? Talking about birds, those pigeons are making me some amount of dough. £40 to fit a makeshift bird spike on the horizontal arm of a satellite dish and I made it myself from my sheet of mesh I use for fitting around solar panels. ? 

We started off trying to use a 47' fibreglass monstrosity, both my son and I get belly button hernias from the strain trying to use the damn thing. You were tired just extending it, let alone using it. ?  
Oooh you think you had it bad.

We had to struggle with those awful grey Brodex glass fiber poles.. dreadful.

We also used to have a 57ft Brodex carbon pole, that was literally like a tree..

As you're training to be a Solicitor? At least you can defend and cross examine yourself. You'll save a fortune on legal expenses, especially if you have to appeal the initial decision
Yeah still training, although the Covid thing stopped it all. But still swatting up, won't be until 2021 until i can realistically look at starting uni..

I only got an slx22 and even that, at some angles when extended I find real painful, like hernia potential. dont reckon i'd handle high/heavy work. Also steel plate in left wrist dont help, 

Back