Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Your help needed looking for quick delivery of a product

WCF

Help Support WCF:

trad pole takes an average joe about 6 months to get acceptable results- and never do a first clean with a trad pole, u will risk getting cancelled
just my experience .
I think boarcity is spot on here. If it's a first clean i speak to the customer and ask them what they'd like me to do, assuming they're home. I warn them that the results won't be as good and usually they want me to skip that window til next time. I've got a bog standard unger pole and I think the mop/squeegee is called a vice versa or something like that. You soap the window and then flip it round and squeegee.

contact ya houses to clean and explain the situation and if they cant wait a few days wile ya get sorted they arent going to be good custys anyway and your better off without them i.m.o.

Hi, yeah I no what you mean, its just dam hard, the windows look smeary when i do em, why is that? same principle, I dont no why it comes out so bad for me. I tend to dodge houses where i would have to use one, so mnay pitched roofs slooping roofs, its a pain as miss so mnay houses. I do just pull downs on on pole and its a pian if the windows have the white frames and loads of them so the windows are small. I will just have to tell the custy look its hard to get to i can try it with a pole but the results are not as good. End of.

One reason WFP i attracting me a bit.

Scottie,

I feel your pain mate, but let's take a slow look at the situation.

You are using ladders.

You do not have a ladder matrix.

You have a few custys.

You don't like pole work yet.

Ok,

So

Do what you can.

Go to the custys and try to do the job as best you can at present, however that may be.

Look at just one window at a time.

Try to put the ladder up safely and see if you are confident on it enough to do the window.

If not then try the pole on that one.

Repeat on each window.

Repeat on each job.

Work slowly.

Your not in a rush.

You are doing very well Scottie.

Keep on going.

clear.png

i know a lad that uses a sofa cushion fixed on the end of a pole to buff with - hes a pro , not a novice

Sometimes no matter how much time, learning and guidance you give someone not everyone will make a traditional window cleaner. I have a young lad working for me it's over 6 months and he still sh!te but he's a good lad honest and reliable and he has a new baby to support so I don't mind. Let's see if he lasts the winter lol /emoticons/biggrin.png

I think you are scareing yourself off of ladders Scottie

If the ground is solid and not slippery the ladder will be fine if used at the right angle

Take your time and get some practice

are you a wall man davey? i was but for only about a month,been a sill man ever since
however -placing ladders on sills is very risky this time of year, especially on bay windows -the risk of a sideaways slip is always on my mind
I used to go on the sill but now prefer to go above the window or to the side

Now i have my mini standoff i have the ladder at the same height as if i was going on the sill but the wheels touch the wall below so i don't actually touch the sill and have a few inches extra room behind the ladder to clean the sill properly

No more 2 dirty spots where the ladder was sitting on it

I took to trad pole as soon as i tried it but then again i did the same with a Squeegee

Went out with mates dad on week off school and he taught me to fan as standard

Had never seen pulldowns etc just cracked on and had it sussed after a couple of windows

Everyone has something they take to naturally

I have 2..windows and beer

Yep that is my plan to do as many windows as possible ladder wise and the others with pole. I think its just getting used to it, just not so good at present, mind you it has to be perfect or I will not leave it, no way can i leave a window not looking spot on. I dont want to use WFP, as not confident in it, rather use ladders as up close.

Cheers for the advice guys. I have a few houses where I just say I cna not reach that one sorry. They seem ok. I use ladder stand off and that sits nice on the wall below the window and feels solid and I am in the right height to clean the window.

My persoanl opinion is that you have to have a saftey device like a m8rix or ladderm8, just my opinion, well maybe for a newbie, in time I prob will discover what i can and can not do, but I actually like using the ladder, its odd but its rewarding as you can see your work close up, up there:)

All good, thank you.

Hi Tuffers, yeah, its easy to use plonk down and put ladders on, seconds, its really safer, I used it and I would not be able to put ladders on decking i had to do with out it, I would **** myself, outward slip would have hapend. You think normal ladders are ok in the wet etc? I not as confident as you as newbie and tryign to be safe. I thought it was a quick good thing to use. Literally takes me seconds, put it by house get ladders and put ladder in postion slip it under and away go, all in all 45 seconds then just move it each window. easy. /emoticons/smile.png
I just worry with everyone saying watch the ladders in winter need safty or dont use ladders get WFP, i can not yet as not built my business up enough. Am I being too over safe, I have a stand off too, that make me feel safer than just the ladders on the wall.

Cheers and cheers smurf for the words:)
You'll find it hard to build confidence using that thing all the time , its all about learning to place your ladder and trusting it, m8 a house must take ages placing that down at every window

You'll find it hard to build confidence using that thing all the time , its all about learning to place your ladder and trusting it, m8 a house must take ages placing that down at every window
I think its pretty good, I put it on decking that was well slippy and greasy, I put ladders on and they just slipped, I personally think its little dangerous ladder son decking, the m8rix took 10 seconds to put down and it held solid, felt safe as houses lol. Good for me, I would not trust decking persoanlly and I would be scared if honest doing it, the ladders were slippy. Each to their own, I probably just a chicken /emoticons/smile.png Good product though I recommend it, it takes me about 30 seconds if honest extra to put it down a nd put ladders on to do two back windows up top and for me 30 secs is nout for pure safty. I think I will stick with it always as outward slip does happen and why not have somthing that adds a good security to your work, if it took ages to place it I would think twice, but it takes me seconds, I no the angle the ladder goes so i usually place it perfect position each time. Maybe when I get confident when its not wet and I dont use it, on a dry summer day I will get confidence and maybe not use it, I dont no, but wet conditions and slippery frost makes me nervous, I may look a fool to some but it adds saftey for me:

I agree that decking is not safe for ladders, even when the decking is bone dry.
I am well nervous on decking hence the m8rix, it makes me feel safe. Really good product for me, I am not the most natural on ladders, maybe in time, but I still dont think I will ever be one of those guys that goes flying up, so this product is fine for me:

You still.have to pretend you are not using it and get your mind round putting ladders at correct angles at all times as it won't help if ladders are at bad angles

I put the ladders at correct angles and on the m8rix. Nothing to it, just good bit of safty kit imo:) If it provides outward slip security why not use it as it takes seconds to put down. I just not prepared to put ladders on slippy surfaces and decking with out it. normal dry day and good conditions I prob wont use it as nothing under the ladder that is going to make it slippy, it should all be fine./emoticons/smile.png

I put the ladders at correct angles and on the m8rix. Nothing to it, just good bit of safty kit imo:) If it provides outward slip security why not use it as it takes seconds to put down. I just not prepared to put ladders on slippy surfaces and decking with out it. normal dry day and good conditions I prob wont use it as nothing under the ladder that is going to make it slippy, it should all be fine./emoticons/smile.png
Safety it upmost important and yes on decking use this everytime without fail (as I'm sure you will ) it's just as you progress you'll eventually get jobs that are tight or you can't use your safety equipment and that's when experience comes in also safety is well and good but it does take time and extra time taken on every house means your potentially not earning what you can , getting use to not using this is a good idea when spring arrives and things weather wise are calmer , good luck m8 hope you find a replacement fast

I use just ladders on dry decking

And used to use them on gravel and wet decking also..just at a shallower angle

Ànkalad has converted me

Latest Posts

Back