Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kev

Almost ready to take the plunge over to the darkside

kev
The bottom line is if you are set on having a cage and insurance approved fitting its going to cost you more, if you a bit dodgy and want cheap it can be done.

way i see it is you have to do what you have to do

I get you mate. Cool

kev
Agree with adamangler. You can use ratchet straps, but get the industrial strength ones. Insurance isn't a problem as they are not a permanent fixture. Go for it kev, it will drive you insane the first couple of months with teething problems, but after that you will wonder how you managed without it

So is that the way it works because it isn't a permanent fixture?! What would the straps be strapped to?

Dave B
Yeah that's what i am looking to do mate that would be ideal. I couldn't fill the tank from my flat i'd have to go to my sisters after work and fill it then if i need to top up at work just do it from a customers outside tap with a hose. Was thinking i probably wouldn't go through more than 500 or 600 litre on a good day just going by what i've seen other people saying

I don't use more than 150l-200l in an average day and i am busy

I set myself up with a diy trolley for around 60 quid including trolley and pole off ebay for 110

A few 25ldrums from local car wash when they chuck em and away you go

I buy my water but if you only need di it won't add much more to the cost

You could be working wfp for 300 quid i reckon and then buy better bits as you go

Drums and trolley would do the job mounted in the van until you catch up enough to afford a tank

Then go for better pump, reel and flow controller and you will have both then so awkward houses you could whip the trolley out and off you go

adamangler
What would be the reason for drawing more water from two barrels at the same time mate?

no other reason other than it save you running out mid job and getting an air lock, on a first clean you may well use 25 litres on a job..sometimes airlocks can be a bitch to clear slowing you down. Tip: bit of wire coiled around the end of the hose going into barrel to sink it right to the bottom.

Dave B

Legally i wouldn't tell the insurance if tank isn't fixed as it is a load and vans are designed to carry loads

You wouldn't have to tell then if you had your ladders and bucket in the back so why a removable load??

I went wfp about 3 months ago after 26 years trad and never looked back

As for swapping customers over i just turned up as normal and cracked on

When customer went to pay i would quickly say don't worry about the water in the glass it's 100% pure and will dry crystal clear..sometimes it can leave the odd spot seeing as i have flushed all the dirt and years of soap out the frames and seals but any issues give me a shout and I'll pop past ony travels and sort it

Tbh i have had nobody with a problem with it and most are amazed at the quality of the job

Usually then they comment about how clean the frames look and that's that

I never explain before i do the job and if no one is in i never mention it

Underdog

iv just set up my van mount. everything has cost me around 1500. thats an ro unit at home with a 500litre tank.sump pump to van.500 litre tank in van.shurflo pump,spring controller, one shot remote control.110a battery on a split chrger from van. gardiner slx 25, 100metre hose and reel. all plumbing bits and bobs and some spares. its working flawelsessly but i was able to save money as iv done everthing myself from plumbing at home to welding tank in van and wiring chargin system.

steve garwood
So is that the way it works because it isn't a permanent fixture?! What would the straps be strapped to?

The bulkhead or anchor points

kev
I don't use more than 150l-200l in an average day and i am busy

I set myself up with a diy trolley for around 60 quid including trolley and pole off ebay for 110

A few 25ldrums from local car wash when they chuck em and away you go

I buy my water but if you only need di it won't add much more to the cost

You could be working wfp for 300 quid i reckon and then buy better bits as you go

Drums and trolley would do the job mounted in the van until you catch up enough to afford a tank

Then go for better pump, reel and flow controller and you will have both then so awkward houses you could whip the trolley out and off you go

Cheers for that davey it's something to think about

kev
no other reason other than it save you running out mid job and getting an air lock, on a first clean you may well use 25 litres on a job..sometimes airlocks can be a bitch to clear slowing you down. Tip: bit of wire coiled around the end of the hose going into barrel to sink it right to the bottom.

I'd be looking to do 20 to 25 houses a day mate that's why i'm thinking loads of barrels would be hassle

Underdog

Also i give a letter to every customer explaining how pure water cleaning works. some people disagree with this and say no need bbut its working very well with my customers.people accept things far better when they understand.i picked up workfrom people who have had wfp before but the cleaner has never bothered to explain whats happening and why are the windows wet.its a small effort that goes a long way.

kev
iv just set up my van mount. everything has cost me around 1500. thats an ro unit at home with a 500litre tank.sump pump to van.500 litre tank in van.shurflo pump,spring controller, one shot remote control.110a battery on a split chrger from van. gardiner slx 25, 100metre hose and reel. all plumbing bits and bobs and some spares. its working flawelsessly but i was able to save money as iv done everthing myself from plumbing at home to welding tank in van and wiring chargin system.

It'd definitely be a lot less hassle welding it yourself mate

kev
The bulkhead or anchor points

It would have to be the anchor points a i have a ply bulkhead lol

kev
Also i give a letter to every customer explaining how pure water cleaning works. some people disagree with this and say no need bbut its working very well with my customers.people accept things far better when they understand.i picked up workfrom people who have had wfp before but the cleaner has never bothered to explain whats happening and why are the windows wet.its a small effort that goes a long way.

Yeah i can see you're point there mate but i'd speak my customers through it

Dave B

I am a bit strange though according to these guys as i like to trad bottoms still sometimes

Still it's always handy to have your trad tools to hand

I got a 40 quid house to do in the morning which is mostly all patio door jobbies round the bottom and conservatory windows

Used to be hard work but wfp fixed that

Gotta do the insides tomorrow for another 40 so the wagtail will be out and I'll be quick as a flash

Amazes me that some stick wagglers can't or won't do insides

kev
Legally i wouldn't tell the insurance if tank isn't fixed as it is a load and vans are designed to carry loads

You wouldn't have to tell then if you had your ladders and bucket in the back so why a removable load??

I went wfp about 3 months ago after 26 years trad and never looked back

As for swapping customers over i just turned up as normal and cracked on

When customer went to pay i would quickly say don't worry about the water in the glass it's 100% pure and will dry crystal clear..sometimes it can leave the odd spot seeing as i have flushed all the dirt and years of soap out the frames and seals but any issues give me a shout and I'll pop past ony travels and sort it

Tbh i have had nobody with a problem with it and most are amazed at the quality of the job

Usually then they comment about how clean the frames look and that's that

I never explain before i do the job and if no one is in i never mention it

So there is no way i can get done for insurance purposes then or if i got stopped off the police and would the straps definitely be strong enough to secure the tank properly? Yeah i see where you are coming from with the customers that is generally the way i'd approach myself. At the end of the day as long as it's a good job nobody can complain. I'm really thinking of getting a loan of a grand or so an just getting the van mount done myself and not selling part of my run as it is worth £700 a month an i really dont want to. It's an asset i could build on. It's just the guy that was working with me has left me in the shit so i've got all sorts going through my mind. And plus van needs a service and other bits which will be about £500. It's never ending

Tuffers
I'd be looking to do 20 to 25 houses a day mate that's why i'm thinking loads of barrels would be hassle

It's going to take you a while to get up to 20 to 25 houses done a day mate (depending on size of course). I found the first 3 months a proper ball ache, piece of pish now oh and you find muscles you never knew you had!

Dave B

Once you are used to it 2 average houses per 25l barrel is not hard to do if regular cleans

I did over 200 quid today ..fsg job which used half a drum as i used her outside tap for the plastics and frames etc

The other 120 i did with 4.5 drums and squeegeed a conservatory for some variety

Underdog

i welded angle irons to the floor with a steel brace over the top but also using straps. ive got 1 strap thats a 1500lbs one and one smaller one. heavy duty straps keep caars and vans on trailers so i see it that that as long as they are heavy duty they will hold a 500kg tank

kev
I am a bit strange though according to these guys as i like to trad bottoms still sometimes

Still it's always handy to have your trad tools to hand

I got a 40 quid house to do in the morning which is mostly all patio door jobbies round the bottom and conservatory windows

Used to be hard work but wfp fixed that

Gotta do the insides tomorrow for another 40 so the wagtail will be out and I'll be quick as a flash

Amazes me that some stick wagglers can't or won't do insides

I'd never stop using a squeegee if i had to. I mean say a window is open and no one is in then i would have to get the ladder off and do it trad. And what about the doors too? Doing it with the pole would make the doorstep soaking. Na i would do what i had to do and i'm and no doubt that some customers wont want it done wfp so i'd have to do it trad. I've got a couple in mind who've said to me before they dont like it

spanish pete
So there is no way i can get done for insurance purposes then or if i got stopped off the police and would the straps definitely be strong enough to secure the tank properly? Yeah i see where you are coming from with the customers that is generally the way i'd approach myself. At the end of the day as long as it's a good job nobody can complain. I'm really thinking of getting a loan of a grand or so an just getting the van mount done myself and not selling part of my run as it is worth £700 a month an i really dont want to. It's an asset i could build on. It's just the guy that was working with me has left me in the **** so i've got all sorts going through my mind. And plus van needs a service and other bits which will be about £500. It's never ending

Don't believe a word about not telling your insurance company. There are so many window cleaners running around with basically no insurance. If they have any kind of water tank fitted strapped down or factory fitted you have too tell your insurance company its a none factory mod If you had a bad accident and the insurance company finds out your van has any type of tank your fucked.

Dave B
It's going to take you a while to get up to 20 to 25 houses done a day mate (depending on size of course). I found the first 3 months a proper ball ache, piece of pish now oh and you find muscles you never knew you had!

I do love doing my custys now they are all maintenance cleans so no soap etc left in the seals etc

3 bed house earlier no one in..£12 in under 15 minutes is lovely

I am very quick trad but couldn't keep that pace up without being dangerous on the ladders

Underdog

with a little practice its faster. iv got the wife working trad on bottoms and shes only just learning so does about 2 windows a house and sorts out the payment slips etc. we can do 20 semi detached houses in about 5 hours. bearing in mind i do the majorit of the work i think 20 plus houses in a day on your own is easy

kev

Yeah it will propably be harder than i think but to be honest i'm thinking it will be easier than trad. But yeah different houses take longer no matter what method. My smaller houses i'm thinking 30 to 35 a day as they are all next door to each other

Dave B
Don't believe a word about not telling your insurance company. There are so many window cleaners running around with basically no insurance. If they have any kind of water tank fitted strapped down or factory fitted you have too tell your insurance company its a none factory mod If you had a bad accident and the insurance company finds out your van has any type of tank your fucked.

Why is a big tank a mod but 20x25l drums is fine?

Tuffers
I'd never stop using a squeegee if i had to. I mean say a window is open and no one is in then i would have to get the ladder off and do it trad. And what about the doors too? Doing it with the pole would make the doorstep soaking. Na i would do what i had to do and i'm and no doubt that some customers wont want it done wfp so i'd have to do it trad. I've got a couple in mind who've said to me before they dont like it

If a window is open, do just the glass and not the frame for obvious reasons. I've still got some who insist on trad (old farts) bugger me do I resent doing them! But they have been with me for a long time, so I feel obliged.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.