Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you declare business water usage at home

WCF

Help Support WCF:

They will contact you if there’s anything amiss (as they did with me) i use my other half’s garage at her flat for storage and now fill up at hers for convenience. They noticed her water usage had gone up from a family of two to a family of 4 or 5. They rang asking if she had a leak, she said no my mothers been staying here on holiday and we’ve had more visitors than normal, but mainly my boyfriend is using it for window cleaning as he’s a window cleaner. They were fine about it and didn’t ask for any extra. Say you have a 500L tank and it takes 40 minutes or so to fill, it’s roughly the same as someone watering their garden every day for 40 minutes. Some gardens are very large and the watering can take a long time. So as long as you’re a sole trader then i think you should be fine. If you ran a medium sized company with 5 vans on the road then thats an extra 2500L per day potentially so they would probably ask you for extra in that scenario.

Their main concern is that they haven’t got any leaks in their system and want to know that the water is being put to use, as they can get big fines for leaks. Thames water just had a £120 million fine for leaks in their system not long ago.

Depending on the area as well different authorities may be stricter than others due to varying levels of water reserves.

Many customers will say “use my tap if you like” so you could take 50L from here or there. As long as you’re not taking liberties and filling a 500L tank from one customer just to clean their 3 bed semi.

Unless the water company ring, i wouldn’t create an issue for yourself, the time will come if they feel it’s necessary [emoji4]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Many thanks[mention=5882]incheck[/mention] helpful to know I'm only down the road from you in Newport :)

Yeah I also fill from my partner's house around 400/450 a day was just curious if I needed to do anything in regards to the extra water consumption

Thank you

Yeah i wouldn’t panic mate welsh water are as good as gold. If they ring just be honest and say where the water is going, if they want more money i’m sure it wouldn’t put you out of business and you could always raise your prices to compensate. They’ve resolved at least 3 blockages in our manholes free of charge over the years. The little un is disabled and frequently flushes things he shouldn’t down the loo. And he also runs taps of his own free will and forgets to switch them off so we are constantly checking the taps are off. We’ve explained all this to welsh water and they are very understanding about it which is a god send. Never made us feel criminalized about anything including the window cleaning.

Latest Posts

Back