Welcome guest/lurker! Read more... ×
No Mess With Jess

Business please HELP!

No Mess With Jess

Hi All, 

Its been a while since I was on here as work has been manic- but I need some advise from the people who have been running their business for a few years plus!

I have 1 star employee, who may be considering leaving - he has said the workload is a little too much and he is worried about the hours dropping in the winter (due to rain/snow). I will make every effort to make his job easier and more manageable as he is a star employee. 

Does anyone else run there business with employees on the ground working? Do you just have 1 staff member? I find that with just 1 staff member, my whole business relies on him and that he doesn't quit, when he does - I have to find someone new and re-train and re teach the round. its too much hard work!

Do you think it would be better to have two staff members at one time - maybe go in the van together and split the hose (1 does front, one does back)??

I would really love any suggestions on this matter - how to help current employees, how to recruit new ones, how many to recruit, how do you run your business regards to staffing?

My business is growing rapidly, I also off gutter services and house cleaning - and my phone doesn't stop! which is amazing - but I need someone to do the work on the ground as I have a 4 month old baby. 

Part Timer

Can you explain the second paragraph, specifically the worried about the workload and the drop in hours. This reads, to me, that he is on some bonus scheme. 

No Mess With Jess

Hi. Sorry I meant to say that because the buisness is getting so busy, the workload is getting too much for him. He has about 14 jobs a day at the moment. And he struggles with it. 

He is worried that the hours will drop in winter as when it rains and snows, he cannot work. So will be less hours and less wages for him. 

Hope that makes sense. 

He is on a reward scheme, but that it just something I do as an employer. 

Paramount Cleaning Service

Depending on the winter we have his workload shouldn't drop to much the problem i am seeing and don't mean to sound disrespectful is your business is relying on 1 member of staff and with what you've said it sounds like he wants he has to get or he will leave it's your business and you need  and up to you how you run it maybe a second employee would help even part time . I would be looking at how to change the hold he has on your business

Nudel

If you value him that much, pay him even though the weather is bad and he can't clean. That should keep him around.

If you find it troublesome to work that much, turn the growing down. Have your guy start his own company and rent him instead. One guy on here built his business around renting out cleaning vans, and suppling some work instead of hiring staff.

Stop doing extras, get rid of the worst paying customers, up you prices and make yourself a top of the line window cleaning round you can easily do in 3-4 days a week on your own.

Way, way less headache, pretty much the same money.

Iron Giant

I think he might be scared of the cold and wet, as the weather can be no worse throughout the winter, days are shorter and that's the real impact on an achievable target not so much the weather. I have just started finishing before 4 pm this week in prep for the reduced daylight ahead due to taking on a lot of work this year.

I am sure you know what is achievable with your jobs and if you have been a good employer as you have mentioned then I am sure something can be sorted 

No Mess With Jess

Thank you all. So good advice in there. 

I can't do the work myself at the moment as I'm on maternity leave. I have over 250 customers and its growing quick, so I may need to get another staff member in anyway. I think I'll hire two, then I'm never dependant on one person like people have said. 

The idea of a rain/snow wage is interesting. Maybe a set lower pay could work..... Something I'll have to think about and see if its worth it, or just finding someone new. Thanks for that suggestion. 

Has anyone ever done a split hose before where two people can work at the same time. Else I would have to invest in a new van which I can't afford at the moment. 

Nudel
4 minutes ago, No Mess With Jess said:

Has anyone ever done a split hose before where two people can work at the same time. Else I would have to invest in a new van which I can't afford at the moment. 

Tried it, but you don't get very good pressure. Better off to buy a second pump, controller and reel which shouldn't be too expensive.

Or you could buy a backpack and do a simple trolley system.

Paramount Cleaning Service

alot of guys run a split hose round our way 1 guy has 3 so you should be ok depending on your set up

scottish cleaning service

Expect your house cleaning business to become even busier, growing industry.