Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Start up advice. Buy water in Essex

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Agius

Hi guys, 

I’m looking for some start up advice. 
I know some of these questions my seem sill, but please bare with me. 

1, Buy a van already kitted out or buy a van and have everything fitted? Pros and cons/cost 

2, I’ve been advised to get at least a 600L-900L tank?

3, What are your thoughts on https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/Home/Packages#ionic-portage pros and cons of using this over the traditional system?

4, On top of the van and water system, how much would it cost roughly for all the extras - poles, brushes, hoses etc? 

5, Where do you fill up with water? Sill question I know, but I live in a 1st floor rented flat ??‍♂️
This is why I’m thinking that www.spotlesswater.co.uk might be the way forward for me. 

6, Any tips or advice would be welcome. 
Thank you in advance ?

Hi guys, 

I’m looking for some start up advice. 
I know some of these questions my seem sill, but please bare with me. 

1, Buy a van already kitted out or buy a van and have everything fitted? Pros and cons/cost 

2, I’ve been advised to get at least a 600L-900L tank?

3, What are your thoughts on https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/Home/Packages#ionic-portage pros and cons of using this over the traditional system?

4, On top of the van and water system, how much would it cost roughly for all the extras - poles, brushes, hoses etc? 

5, Where do you fill up with water? Sill question I know, but I live in a 1st floor rented flat ??‍♂️
This is why I’m thinking that www.spotlesswater.co.uk might be the way forward for me. 

6, Any tips or advice would be welcome. 
Thank you in advance ?

The vans I've seen advertised with systems fitted by a business on Ebay seem to be high milers. I personally would try to find a lower and newer van and have a system fitted. But this would depend on how much you can afford to spend.

The bigger the tank to bigger the van you will need to transport that water. I found that a 500 liter tank fitted into each of the lad's vans was more than enough for a days work. For that you will need a van with at least an 850kg payload. Transit Connect LWB to a swb Vivaro/Trafic would be options. (However, spend money on a full AA or RAC report before you buy.)

You are in a flat so you can't process your own water. You have no other option but to buy it in. Spotless isn't cheap but isn't over the top expensive either. Its a business cost. I don't know what you mean  when you ask about the pros and cons of this over a traditional system. In window cleaning term traditional is ladders, squeegee, applicator, a bucket of water and scrims. If this is what you mean then trad (traditional) has a much cheaper startup option, usually the household car with roofracks. The downside is that injuries from using ladders are well documented. Wfp is the safer route but has a much bigger intial investment outlay.

I would suggest you look on Gadiner's website for prices on poles etc. I would suggest a carbonfibre SLX27 will reach 99% of the jobs you want. A CLX27 is a cheaper option by is half carbon and half fibreglass. It a little more whippy. I used a CLX22 for many years. It nearly 10 years old, in storage now for the past 2 years but still has some life left in it as a spare if needed.

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/

Would I spend all that money on a system not knowing if I could make a go of window cleaning. Some people haven't the self discipline to be self employed.

Read through this for some very good suggestions and pointers

https://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/topic/28393-7-months-starting-my-story-so-far-lots-of-tips/?tab=comments#comment-404505

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Spruce! 

Verry inforative. 

My apologies. I’m still getting used to all the terminology.

3, What are your thoughts on https://www.spotlesswater.co.uk/Home/Packages#ionic-portage pros and cons of using this over the traditional system?
Let me reword my question. 

what are the pros and cons of (a) having and “spotlesswater” tank fitted, to (b) having a complete RO system fitted? 

You are in a flat so you can't process your own water. You have no other option but to buy it in. Spotless isn't cheap but isn't over the top expensive either. Its a business cost.
Are there places I can go and fill up my tank with just regular water, if I had a RO System fitted in the van? I’m just thinking more long term. I don’t see myself staying in this flat too much longer.  

Would I spend all that money on a system not knowing if I could make a go of window cleaning. Some people haven't the self discipline to be self employed.
I’ve been self employed for over 10 years as a chauffeur. I’m very motivated when it comes to business. 7-8k to get set up feel quite comfortable after buying 70-80k cars, on a wing and a prayer. 

I still have regular work (1-2 weeks per month) that pays my just enough to live on, so I can build something slowly, locally. Until I no longer need the chauffeuring work, and I never have to drive in London again!! ????

One las thing, 

Would you recommend a brand? It’s a mine field! 

I’ve attached some pictures of kits I’ve found. 

Thnanks. 

E689B66D-8FF9-4555-92D4-9325C0C41A3B.png

E5B99941-6984-477E-AFB1-17BC9E760885.png

50542908-F34E-47E2-ABD0-5ADCBA1BEB6E.png

F98E64E5-E768-4D25-95D5-7229CF823FAF.png

E55B0295-8C5A-4830-A3C7-78A2FBFC197A.png

You can have any tank fitted and then fill up at spotless.

If you finance an ionics system through spotless then you will end up paying way over the odds.

Once your out the flat I would recommend setting up a small RO to make water.That way you're not reliant on someone else. Spotless would be a good short term option.

You can buy second hand vans from ebay etc just be careful there is a lot of rubbish out there but some good bargains can be had.

I have a van for sale at the minute

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-combo-lwb-1-3-window-cleaning-van-with-Grippa-tank/163514093310?hash=item2612330efe:g:GscAAOSwJOJcUC4b:rk:1:pf:0

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You need to understand how an r/o works @Agius. Depending on the TDS of your water, you may use 1000 liters to make 300 liters of pure that you can clean windows with. If this is the case then you are throwing away 700 liters down the drain. If your water tds is below 100ppm then you could remove all those dissolved solids in your water by just using resin, but that will be expensive.

If you have a small r/o in your flat, how will you get it to your van's tank? Who pays the water bill? If its shared amongst all the tenants, then you are going to make enemies quite quickly.

I can only imagine that the only way you are going to get this to work is to buy water in.

A small r/o produces water very slowly whereas the bigger ones much faster? How will you control filling a tank so the water switches off when your van's tank is full on the first floor?

A van tank is a van tank, period. We have a standard tank on both of our vans. We process water with r/o in an IBC tank in the garage and transfer the water we need into our van's tank in the morning. Then we drive to work whilst the r/o replenishes the water we have drawn. My r/o (a 4040) produces 2 liters of pure every minute. If we draw 600 liters then it will take around 5 hours to replenish that. It going to be more cost effective to purify water yourself, but I don't see you have an option.

Be careful of package deals. They don't always provide the best equipment. When businesses offer freebe's as an incentive to buy, why don't they make the product cheaper (more affordable) to begin with?

I would recommend you ask Purefreedom for a quote on a basic delivery system with a hose reel but without poles. The poles they used to supply were at one time no match for Gardiner Poles. A basic delivery system is a tank, a tank frame, a pump and controller, a hose reel and a pole to clean the windows with. IMHO I would only buy an upright tank. And I would give Ionics a miss. They do make good equipment but at a very upmarket price. I would look at a more down market system and spend the extra on a better van.

You need to understand how an r/o works @Agius. Depending on the TDS of your water, you may use 1000 liters to make 300 liters of pure that you can clean windows with. If this is the case then you are throwing away 700 liters down the drain. If your water tds is below 100ppm then you could remove all those dissolved solids in your water by just using resin, but that will be expensive.

If you have a small r/o in your flat, how will you get it to your van's tank? Who pays the water bill? If its shared amongst all the tenants, then you are going to make enemies quite quickly.

I can only imagine that the only way you are going to get this to work is to buy water in.

A small r/o produces water very slowly whereas the bigger ones much faster? How will you control filling a tank so the water switches off when your van's tank is full on the first floor?

A van tank is a van tank, period. We have a standard tank on both of our vans. We process water with r/o in an IBC tank in the garage and transfer the water we need into our van's tank in the morning. Then we drive to work whilst the r/o replenishes the water we have drawn. My r/o (a 4040) produces 2 liters of pure every minute. If we draw 600 liters then it will take around 5 hours to replenish that. It going to be more cost effective to purify water yourself, but I don't see you have an option.

Be careful of package deals. They don't always provide the best equipment. When businesses offer freebe's as an incentive to buy, why don't they make the product cheaper (more affordable) to begin with?

I would recommend you ask Purefreedom for a quote on a basic delivery system with a hose reel but without poles. The poles they used to supply were at one time no match for Gardiner Poles. A basic delivery system is a tank, a tank frame, a pump and controller, a hose reel and a pole to clean the windows with. IMHO I would only buy an upright tank. And I would give Ionics a miss. They do make good equipment but at a very upmarket price. I would look at a more down market system and spend the extra on a better van.
If you require a van with a delivery system in then @Cghwindowcleaninghas one for sale on this site. It's got a big enough tank for you and has a good quality delivery system in it and it will save you hunting around.

If you require a van with a delivery system in then @Cghwindowcleaninghas one for sale on this site. It's got a big enough tank for you and has a good quality delivery system in it and it will save you hunting around.

You can have any tank fitted and then fill up at spotless.

If you finance an ionics system through spotless then you will end up paying way over the odds.

Once your out the flat I would recommend setting up a small RO to make water.That way you're not reliant on someone else. Spotless would be a good short term option.

You can buy second hand vans from ebay etc just be careful there is a lot of rubbish out there but some good bargains can be had.

I have a van for sale at the minute

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-combo-lwb-1-3-window-cleaning-van-with-Grippa-tank/163514093310?hash=item2612330efe:g:GscAAOSwJOJcUC4b:rk:1:pf:0
Vauxhall combo lwb CGH is selling great van, I have the same van with a two man setup CGH system is a grippa system very highly rated.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the things we sometimes forget (I did) was what do you also envisage also using the van for. My son just happened to see a Berlingo van on Ebay which he mentioned. It looked good although the body was a bit tatty. It was a good buy as its very good mechanically. I bought it without considering that he really wanted a van with 3 front seats as he has two children (our grandchildren) to transport sometimes and they are still in car seats (the elder can get by with a booster seat now). On those odd days his wife takes the van to work and he has the car. Its a bit inconvenient. Lesson learnt. Try to look into future needs and plan accordingly.

At the bottom of the listing he has put £7250 for everything.

In my opinion the van is to old but that's just my opinion.The system is ok but you need to find out when the filters where changed a new 4040 membrane will set you back £250.filters will be £20.00 and a bag of resin £75.00

The poles are fibreglass you would struggle to give them away and the trad tools could be picked up for £100-£150.

you could buy the van for 3k and put a brand new system and tools in for less.

I have a 2008 Vivaro with a few more miles on then the above van. One thing you have to remember when buying a van that has been used for a long time in this industry is they are taking a constant battering from being virtually fully loaded half their life. The floor rots, due to the water leakage, the discs, shockers etc get much more wear and tear. From personal experience, and from other owners, the Vivaro gearbox is prone to breaking in the 100-120k range, a £1000 bill. If you do decide to go for the van I would have a full AA check done on it and check all previous MOT's

Hello.
The system is 3.5 years old. All in good working order apart from I need to replace one of the pumps that costs £100. I can buy and fit it or I can take £100 off the price and you could get it done yourself. I was told the controller had broke so I got a new one and it turned out to be the pump, not the controller. That means I have a spare controller that is going to come with the sale. All the filters are due to be changed in a few weeks time.

Back