Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slippy

Got quite a big house, four sides of house's guttering, how much?

Smurf

Black gutters most of the time are easier to clean but do get quite dirty still and suffer more so from gutter creep than white.

Jimroot

I really wouldn't like to do one with ladder, the houses I've worked on so far, only one had straight forward ladder placements, all the others were very tricky access whether it's gnome collections and other garden furniture, slopping muddy gardens, walls of various dimensions blocking brace deployment, house features negating standoff placement, loose stone chip cladding, loose, narrow, steps, delicate plantings or easy scratch slabs... ... ... ...

Maybe (probably) it's me and franks approach. Considering a 14 double with ladderm8 to get into tighter placements.

mark2788

Do you mean washing inside gutters as well or just removing moss and dirt etc? Because £100 or even over £50 seems alot of money, can't see many people paying that? Good to hear though as might start charging more haha

Advertisement

Jimroot

I think the original post described exterior gutter clean, rather than anything interior.

I guess charge what you think is reasonable to you to do a good job.

I'd like to charge more than some to take my time and cover all bases and help cover my overheads. I know of people who do it uninsured and borrow equipment, do it fast, etc and yes they charge less (how good a job they do is up to the home owner to decide) but I'm not competing with them, I'd rather do it safe and slow for a decent wage.

Smurf

Myself I prefer to be different and offer the whole external property cleaning experience to customers that also includes driveway. paving & patio cleaning too. The one stop shop so to speak.

Works well for me :)

Jimroot

Something worth noting, I've heard it said some people are suspicious of window cleaners, it can be seen as a crafty way to scope a house...

I'm sure charging low prices can only reinforce such opinions.

Smurf

Just as a side note have a look at this post and tell me you can make more money just doing windows. :D

Edit: link now attached http://windowcleaningforums.co.uk/threads/pressure-washing-decking.15165/

It baffles me why anyone would want to climb a ladder to gutter height and get covered in shite for the same money you can make on the windows.

No one remember this equation from school?:

Xtra Hgt + drty shte² = £££s

Smurf

The combined services I offer you can make more money in a couple of days than most window domestic window cleaners earn in a week.

Dave B

I just had an argument with a woman

First binned custy in a while

2 monthly

4 bed

Easy windows but also conny

£20 as it doesn't take 40 minutes

When i quoted her last year she asked about conny roof which is a wfp job as lots of awkward pointy tops on the glass

I told her i can do it when i eventually get wfp

She says today "why haven't you done the roof yet as you quoted 20 quid including roof"

I said i never would have as that will cost more than your windows do

She is stood there with money in her hand telling me i have to do it

I took the money off her and walked away as i am not ever being spoken to in that tone of voice

Not going back either and i also do her daughters house so it looks like i have just binned 2 jobs

Smurf

"YOU HAVE TO DO IT" Bless her :rofl:

Just goes to show how ppl can misunderstand what cleaners say to them as she obviously thought it was included in the cost you gave her to start with. :laugh:

Advertisement

Jimroot

She sounds a piece of work. You're better off with out them davey, less trouble in the long run and she'll still have a dirty roof :-)

Dave B

I had had enough anyway with that job

Poxy little dog in the garden refused to go in so was running round barking at me and every time i turned round to look it was sneaking up behind me

Was ready to toe punt it up the garden with my toecaps if it got too close

If i quoted for the roof last june why is she only questioning me now

Jimroot

Use your smallest modified squeegee as a ninja star... Woof woof woothefcuk... :-)

Jimroot

Window frames too? No gutter clear? Maybe £100 the lot upvc and windows, £150 with clear if youve got a vac

peter rogers

i already do the windies 20 all round the house no clean them out done that in october so just a clean i was thinkin 100 as it take me bout 2 an half hours doin it on me jack

Smurf

I would chance it at 50 squid a side myself for cleaning all plastics guttering, fascias & soffits but thats just me. Time wise would take me around 3-4 hours to do properly including cleaning the frames and glass for free. That's using wfp method and by ladders if need be.

If you go in at say 140 squid then you may have a better chance but still is a lot of work to do it properly. Especially if the plastics are badly stained and you need to use ladders and do it by hand. Also the left aspect looks a bit narrow to be putting ladders up to me.

Some would try to clean it quicker and charge a lot less but I like to do the best job I can.

What price did you have in mind?

Advertisement

peter rogers

£100 and using wfp i already do the windows but if he says yes il wait to the nxt time windies r due

plus the insides of the gutters are clean :)

i haven been up a ladder to do upvc cleaning and not going to be either lol

Smurf

If you are happy with the price and the customer is happy with it too that's all what matters :thumbsup:

Jimroot

I wouldn't like to go up a ladder and do it either, I'd give the money back to be honest, or say half the cash if the results aren't 100% with the pole.

Smurf

No matter what method you use you will never get it looking 100%. More so using just wfp method as you will be surprised on some jobs how ineffective it is especially on old plastics compared to doing it by hand.

Therefore I would never say that to a customer either or you will never earn any money @Jimroot.

What I do say is "I will do the best I can and it will look a lot cleaner than it is now"

Regarding using ladders that's an easy one to get to the roofline by ladders if you've got the right kit. If you don't use the right kit you will struggle and would be quite risky to do.

Jimroot

I'm s&@£ with ladders as you know :-/ I just can't get to grips, mainly with the stand off making it too heavy (for my liking) and clattering off house pieces. How I haven't dropped them into something yet is a mystery I'm grateful for.

Anyways, yes I wouldn't use language like 100% you're spot on there!

Better than it is now is a good one. I nearly talked myself into cleaning the inside of the gutter once, and had to talk myself out of it again. Must practice the art of shutting up for my own benefit :-)

Advertisement

Smurf

I try to avoid using ladders a much as I can but in this job it's just another tool I have to sometimes use. No decent triple ladder setup is going to be light so maybe you will have to go to the gym or something or take someone with you to give you a hand.

Jimroot

Thing is, I'm not exactly known for my weakness... A decade in fitness and martial arts etc. I used to swing 20kg kettle bells and I've done pull-ups, handstand push-ups for those years. I assumed it would translate into ladder use.

Something about the setup mystifies me, I'm not working effectively with the lever weighting, guess more practice

Smurf

I cleaned the exterior of this property last year and tomorrow will be checking & clearing all the guttering & downspouts, cleaning all the plastics, cleaning the conservatory roof & sides, then clean the patio area, paving to the front door and also the driveway. Which will take the best part of 2 days to do. Then come back another day to resand the block paved drive.

So I should be well and truly fooked buy then...:rolleyes:

Like a plonker I have booked work in the following day too. Oh deep joy :D

Here are some pic if interested

IMG_4423.JPG.dbc32e25a138b8caab720fb020e8b816.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG.8d915f206b1885710040fd58ee96934f.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG.53cc797488e258a8ad9218fc5399f06f.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG.df10cd9f866e9ef11890bb141cd1f6dd.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG.c106887d97356b263cc9a614b54090aa.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG.f53fe8f0fe7a66287c2d100168cc769c.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG.992190b615cbe8cfc614bc7360c9b121.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG.aad18bc4a3101949794527800d9be5e7.JPG

IMG_4441.JPG.0fed6abfb0aa8475aaf7fb24b1467ec1.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG.f4326c5f03d731740df3e98ba5042f77.JPG

Smurf

I do that one every year like many others I do so you can see why now I don't just do window cleaning as I can earn more in 2 days than some can earn doing a full week on the glass. :)

Mind you being old I'm fooked after doing jobs like that so need time off to recover. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.