Jump to content







Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic


Chris33

My canvassing blog!



Recommended Posts

dmw

Go those clips myself from bandq, brill for squeegees, glad you're doing well with your smart van.

Share this post


Link to post
Gazz
2 hours ago, Chris33 said:

@Gazz nice one mate let us know how u get on 

Currently working my way through this blog you've made over a year ago. Truly international posts from yourself and others in the community. You seem to be a great at door knocking. Could I ask what you tend to say? I'm at the same stage as you when you started.

Edit: Also what days and times did you find worked best for you?

Edited by Gazz

Share this post


Link to post
Dan Paton

Something like " I'm yer new windie cleaner an I'll be roond every week even when it's pure pishin doon. If ye dinnae pay on time a turn intae a pure radge like. Ken. Have a nice day " I reckon that would work perfectly Gazz lol


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Chris33

@Gazz aye it's been a journey and still disorganised chaos sometimes but it is managed better than before I guess.

 

Regarding what to say at door, more importantly is that you are dressed in what you feel comfortable in (presentable) and always smile. This will help you during the chat no end, on a subconscious level to some extent...not that it's pure science here but I hope you get what I mean.

 

I usually would just say hi I own xx window cleaning company and we also clean full frames and doors as standard; is this something you would be interested in? I would differ the approach dependant on who I spoke to tbh 

 

You will find what works for you through trial but the key is to be FRIENDLY, CONFIDENT IN WHAT YOU SELL (not cocky) and NATURAL and go for TARGETED HOUSES (new build/dirty glass)

Share this post


Link to post
Gazz
36 minutes ago, Chris33 said:

@Gazz aye it's been a journey and still disorganised chaos sometimes but it is managed better than before I guess.

 

Regarding what to say at door, more importantly is that you are dressed in what you feel comfortable in (presentable) and always smile. This will help you during the chat no end, on a subconscious level to some extent...not that it's pure science here but I hope you get what I mean.

 

I usually would just say hi I own xx window cleaning company and we also clean full frames and doors as standard; is this something you would be interested in? I would differ the approach dependant on who I spoke to tbh 

 

You will find what works for you through trial but the key is to be FRIENDLY, CONFIDENT IN WHAT YOU SELL (not cocky) and NATURAL and go for TARGETED HOUSES (new build/dirty glass)

Thanks Chris. I'm going to be pushing it all next week and see where I end up. I'll also try canvious any areas of Facebook customers I gain from groups. I cannot go back to a 40 hour factory job. I value myself more than that.

 

Edit: Also pair of decent jeans with my company polo shirt my license card should be good for chapping doors?

Edited by Gazz

Share this post


Link to post
Chris33

Aye that will do fine mate, similar to what I canvassed in although I have also chapped while working and picked up. It's 90 percent in the head I think...hence why be comfy in what wear and don't have an exact speel (natural mind)

The licence works great too..where in west Lothian are you Gazz? My auntie is from Deans, Livingstone. You are only 30 miles from me so pop over sometime if want.

Also something to note, price it right from the start...something i proper neglected and subsequently have been working on a lot.

Unless really need work then build at ok price and rise new enquiries ££ as you get busy...





Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Gazz
36 minutes ago, Chris33 said:

Aye that will do fine mate, similar to what I canvassed in although I have also chapped while working and picked up. It's 90 percent in the head I think...hence why be comfy in what wear and don't have an exact speel (natural mind)

The licence works great too..where in west Lothian are you Gazz? My auntie is from Deans, Livingstone. You are only 30 miles from me so pop over sometime if want.

Also something to note, price it right from the start...something i proper neglected and subsequently have been working on a lot.

Unless really need work then build at ok price and rise new enquiries ££ as you get busy...





Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
 

I'd be interested in that. I stay at Armadale. But my work is 1 mile away in whitburn. Could you turn your chat on so I can message you. We pretty much are in the same type of area so prices should maybe be the same. I found what you said about £3.50- £6.00 guys everywhere glass only though. Any help would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
slaym75

@Chris33 Hi mate, I'm chuffed to stumble across your thread on canvassing and starting and developing a window cleaning business. I plan to start around Aug/Sept and have given myself upto 12 months to grow it into a full time business. You really helped me get a realistic view of what I can expect or may have to deal with...so thanks buddy! Do I understand you correctly did you started in March 2016 and had around 350 customers as early as autumn of the same year? That sounds amazing, although I'll probably take it a bit slower that that...haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Dan Paton

Aye if door chapping was an Olympic sport Chris would be a gold medalist.


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Share this post


Link to post
slaym75

I

20 minutes ago, Dan Paton said:

Aye if door chapping was an Olympic sport Chris would be a gold medalist.


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Yep...sounds like he did a top job, if I'm half as successful I'll be chuffed :) I can't see many rounds for sale around here (west Wales) so looks like I'll be a door chapper too!

Share this post


Link to post
Chris33

@slaym75 hi mate...september?? Your going to miss the summer rush lol

 

Yes I probs had about that then and now refining it based on price and gocardless. I was very spread out back then though and am over only a few towns now, gradual progress I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
slaym75

@Chris33 Oh yeah didn't think about that...doh! I've just been made redundant but gotta work til sometime in Aug. Yeah I'll have another think about starting earlier now. Cheers mate :))

Share this post


Link to post
PureShine

Im about to start canvassing. Never attempted it before but feel its worth a shot after reading all of the blog. I know it may be difficult to put an exact number on it but how many new custys could be expected to be achieved in an 8 hour canvassing day? Do you guys have a daily target or an hourly target? 

I will be Monday to saturday.

Edited by PureShine

Share this post


Link to post
Dan Paton

My missus goes out between 6 and 8 in the evenings and she normally picks up at least 4 a night.


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Share this post


Link to post
CM Cleaning Services

I have been out canvassing wednesday , thursday last week and today around 6hrs each day and picked up 20 new customers :)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
slaym75
1 hour ago, CM Cleaning Services said:

I have been out canvassing wednesday , thursday last week and today around 6hrs each day and picked up 20 new customers :)

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app
 

Sounds great mate :)) when you say canvass do you mean knocking and waiting for answer and custy signs up or just dropping leaflets and getting a call over the next few days?

Share this post


Link to post
Dolf112
On 03/07/2017 at 20:06, Dan Paton said:

My missus goes out between 6 and 8 in the evenings and she normally picks up at least 4 a night.


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

 Does this seem to be from areas that do not already have a cleaner?

Share this post


Link to post
Dan Paton

No quite the opposite. There's tons of them round here. Not poaching them either. Only one I know of so far that's cancelled their current cleaner and that wasn't because of price. It just proves that knocking is the way to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Share this post


Link to post
slaym75

I'm set to start my window cleaning business last week in July, or thereabouts, so I'll be knocking 1000s of doors pretty soon!! I have got some money to set up so I'm looking for a van and pole system. Anyone recommend anything? I was thinking about a vivaro or renault traffic as I've a carpet cleaning machine too. I'm really interested in the size of the tank and whether for example 500l would last me a full day cleaning or better going for 650l. Any recommendations on systems also? Sorry if this is on wrong page!

Share this post


Link to post
Dolf112
5 hours ago, Dan Paton said:

No quite the opposite. There's tons of them round here. Not poaching them either. Only one I know of so far that's cancelled their current cleaner and that wasn't because of price. It just proves that knocking is the way to go.


Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

Thanks for the response. That's where my huge doubt was. I have only been out knocking to two areas so far and they all used the same cleaner. One had serviced the area for 20 years and was charging pennies. 

I was starting to think I'd have to find untouched areas. 

I think I'm going to have to just do raw numbers instead of trying to sell it to everybody or persuade them to use me. 

I have a sales background but I don't think it fits well with knocking doors for window cleaning. Most people think of it like a commodity I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
adamangler
42 minutes ago, Dolf112 said:

Thanks for the response. That's where my huge doubt was. I have only been out knocking to two areas so far and they all used the same cleaner. One had serviced the area for 20 years and was charging pennies. 

I was starting to think I'd have to find untouched areas. 

I think I'm going to have to just do raw numbers instead of trying to sell it to everybody or persuade them to use me. 

I have a sales background but I don't think it fits well with knocking doors for window cleaning. Most people think of it like a commodity I think.

 

 

If the are you are knocking is anything like mine, full of cheap shiners, you will struggle to build a compact round..It can be done by knocking and knocking but i hardly have anything on the same street as another. Just way too many window cleaners.

 

But yes its not a hard sell, its a simple "hi do you need a windy?" yes or no move on. Theres no point trying to persuade people with sales patter because even if you talk them into it they will likely cancel anyway. What you are looking for is enthusiasm, when you knock the door you want someone to be smiling and happy youve called not with the ok if i must attitude.

Share this post


Link to post
Dolf112
18 hours ago, adamangler said:

 

If the are you are knocking is anything like mine, full of cheap shiners, you will struggle to build a compact round..It can be done by knocking and knocking but i hardly have anything on the same street as another. Just way too many window cleaners.

 

But yes its not a hard sell, its a simple "hi do you need a windy?" yes or no move on. Theres no point trying to persuade people with sales patter because even if you talk them into it they will likely cancel anyway. What you are looking for is enthusiasm, when you knock the door you want someone to be smiling and happy youve called not with the ok if i must attitude.

Thanks. Yeah that makes sense. Just pick up all the aces/low hanging fruit. And obviously the quicker I get through the no's the quicker I'll get a yes.

Share this post


Link to post
slaym75

I am considering buying a round about 30 mins away from where I live, can anyone let me know the things to look out for when deciding whether to do this please? I'm aware that naturally some customers will probably fall away after the previous guy stops but anyone with experience of purchasing a round that could advise would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.