Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My canvassing blog!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No quite the opposite. There's tons of them round here. Not poaching them either. Only one I know of so far that's cancelled their current cleaner and that wasn't because of price. It just proves that knocking is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

I'm set to start my window cleaning business last week in July, or thereabouts, so I'll be knocking 1000s of doors pretty soon!! I have got some money to set up so I'm looking for a van and pole system. Anyone recommend anything? I was thinking about a vivaro or renault traffic as I've a carpet cleaning machine too. I'm really interested in the size of the tank and whether for example 500l would last me a full day cleaning or better going for 650l. Any recommendations on systems also? Sorry if this is on wrong page!

No quite the opposite. There's tons of them round here. Not poaching them either. Only one I know of so far that's cancelled their current cleaner and that wasn't because of price. It just proves that knocking is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
Thanks for the response. That's where my huge doubt was. I have only been out knocking to two areas so far and they all used the same cleaner. One had serviced the area for 20 years and was charging pennies. 

I was starting to think I'd have to find untouched areas. 

I think I'm going to have to just do raw numbers instead of trying to sell it to everybody or persuade them to use me. 

I have a sales background but I don't think it fits well with knocking doors for window cleaning. Most people think of it like a commodity I think.

Thanks for the response. That's where my huge doubt was. I have only been out knocking to two areas so far and they all used the same cleaner. One had serviced the area for 20 years and was charging pennies. 

I was starting to think I'd have to find untouched areas. 

I think I'm going to have to just do raw numbers instead of trying to sell it to everybody or persuade them to use me. 

I have a sales background but I don't think it fits well with knocking doors for window cleaning. Most people think of it like a commodity I think.

If the are you are knocking is anything like mine, full of cheap shiners, you will struggle to build a compact round..It can be done by knocking and knocking but i hardly have anything on the same street as another. Just way too many window cleaners.

But yes its not a hard sell, its a simple "hi do you need a windy?" yes or no move on. Theres no point trying to persuade people with sales patter because even if you talk them into it they will likely cancel anyway. What you are looking for is enthusiasm, when you knock the door you want someone to be smiling and happy youve called not with the ok if i must attitude.

If the are you are knocking is anything like mine, full of cheap shiners, you will struggle to build a compact round..It can be done by knocking and knocking but i hardly have anything on the same street as another. Just way too many window cleaners.

But yes its not a hard sell, its a simple "hi do you need a windy?" yes or no move on. Theres no point trying to persuade people with sales patter because even if you talk them into it they will likely cancel anyway. What you are looking for is enthusiasm, when you knock the door you want someone to be smiling and happy youve called not with the ok if i must attitude.
Thanks. Yeah that makes sense. Just pick up all the aces/low hanging fruit. And obviously the quicker I get through the no's the quicker I'll get a yes.

I am considering buying a round about 30 mins away from where I live, can anyone let me know the things to look out for when deciding whether to do this please? I'm aware that naturally some customers will probably fall away after the previous guy stops but anyone with experience of purchasing a round that could advise would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Just read through all 27 pages of this thread, a really good read!

I know it’s now a bit of an old thread, but what’s the latest? ?

Just read through all 27 pages of this thread, a really good read!

I know it’s now a bit of an old thread, but what’s the latest? ?
Massive read Haha. Had two Van's, currently back down to one..hovering just below vat and considering future plans I guess. 

Massive read Haha. Had two Van's, currently back down to one..hovering just below vat and considering future plans I guess. 
If you mainly do domestic I would stay stick just below Vat threshold otherwise your domestic's bill goes up 20%! If mainly commercial push on as they don't care about Vat. I certainly wouldn't be ploughing lots of money in at the moment, too much uncertainty. I would say see what happens in next 6 months then decide.

If you mainly do domestic I would stay stick just below Vat threshold otherwise your domestic's bill goes up 20%! If mainly commercial push on as they don't care about Vat. I certainly wouldn't be ploughing lots of money in at the moment, too much uncertainty. I would say see what happens in next 6 months then decide.
I do a lot of commercial and the vast majority of my customers can't claim the VAT back. Virtually all property management jobs fall under this category.

That is a surprise. Vat threshold is £85,000 turnover. Thanks for the info.
I do a gutter job in Gosport, not sure exactly but there are something like 130 flats covered by 2 residential associations.  Each one charges circa £400 per month service charges to all flats, so basically £650k a year fees between the 2. If I was VAT registered instead of just less than £4k it would be just over £3k if I was VAT registered.

Rules must be different for this type of work, and long may it continue.

Latest Posts

Back