Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice for a potential newbie female window cleaner

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Frankie:)

Hi everyone
So would really like to hear from both male and female window cleaners on the reality of the job.
My partner has his own round and I’m thinking of setting up my own round.
He is worried that I’m really going to find it really hard. Especially in winter as I do feel the cold really badly.
He’s worried about be lifting the reel in and out as I’m only 5ft 1. I’m currently a dance teacher so quite fit and love what I do but I need something that I can be at home on an evening for my kids.
My partner is worried about the physical aspect and also the mental side as he says he finds it mind numbing.
Do you guys enjoy it, how difficult is it. Please be blunt, no sugar coating.
Thank you ☺️

There is no need to be lifting a reel in and out of the van have it mounted inside the van and the hose going through rollers in the van floor like in the pictures below , it’s a physical job but I know several women that do it and just do two storey houses so they can use shorter lighter poles , in the winter it’s not pleasant using cold water and stiff hoses but dress up with thermals and gloves and you will be fine 👍. Mentally you have to be motivated to get up and get out there and crack on with work it’s not for everyone, one of my guys is an excellent employee but he wasn’t motivated enough to run his own business so he works for me and loves it .

Attachments

• IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    880.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2907.jpeg
    IMG_2907.jpeg
    974.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    951.6 KB · Views: 1
My wife ran my business with my son while I was recovering from a broken leg and ankle fusion.
Yes she found it physically hard at 49 and this was in December through to spring the worst bit for her was the winter weather and a few patronising customers about her doing the job.
She still does a day or two as needed. Take your time get it right and you’ll be fine.

@Frankie:) although we work together rather than separate vans/rounds, my wife really enjoys window cleaning. Where I live there is quite a large elderly population and the old ladies in particular absolutely love her. She does have some circulation issues and suffers a bit in the winter. She wears good quality gloves and socks, shoes etc and we make sure we have flasks with tea. I also try and get her to start on the side of the property that has the most sunshine on it, and I'll then go to the shadier side which is usually colder. Working in the cold isn't quite as bad as it seems but obviously you are a bit restricted in terms of daylight etc so as someone else said the easier/quicker your set up is the better. If you pace the day out ok it's not too bad, and I always remember how much I prefer it to my old job. Good advice on the other replies about being able to start each job quickly and also having a few days with your partner to see how much you enjoy it. Good luck 👍.

As PJJ has said no need to lift out the reel - I wouldn't go so far as to put in rollers just yet tho. also make sure you have a carbon fibre pole SLX - OVA-8 for easier working - maybe an extreme but they are expensive.

I know 2 ladies running there own window cleaning and do really well - very popular with the older ladies.

depends on the winter but we really haven't had a bad one for some time and if your busy you won't notice the cold ;)

With a van mounted reel you will be fine. With your partner having experience you will do great. Go out with him for a day at a time and see how you go. Be aware you will be slow but take your time and do a good job and you will be fine. I'm sure you will gain customers as you are a woman, there will be lots of people who are happier having a woman do their windows.

You could do well working as a team or even split work i.e. your partner could do the more physical jobs. Having 2 vans could enable you to team up to tackle bigger jobs. Plus in the event of a vehicle breakdown, if you set your vans up right could enable you to both work from 1 van.

Winter isn't that bad, as long as the ground doesn't have snow or heavy frost your water shouldn't freeze.
As for work wear, I use SkyTec Argon gloves, base layer top and trousers, Trespass Mens DLX Walking Trousers (waterproof and lined), a sweatshirt, + waterproof soft shell jacket if it rains. First job I might be a little chilly but after the first job you soon warm up.

Get your partner to teach you on your own windows then go out with him. Obviously he will be set in his ways so just do it the way he says and when you go it alone you can tweak how you work.

As for enjoyment, it is enjoyable getting through your work and gaining customers, I work with bone conducting headphones so listen to music all day, it's amazing how a decent bit of music boosts your speed. Some days it can be annoying with the weather or equipment breaking but you get through it and crack on.

Go for it.

i had 2 lady employees they were So popular they were trusted to do inside work where they excelled and good on the ladders too . When they both left about the same time ,to have babies -i had to explain to the customers why they left -and was accused,angrily more than once , "you are not the father are you??"

I’m currently a dance teacher so quite fit

If thats the case then all youl have to do is throw some water over a couple of windows on each house, a super soaka would probably do the trick and you still wont get any complaints id imagine, so dont need to worry about any reel or any of that carry on.

As PJJ has said no need to lift out the reel - I wouldn't go so far as to put in rollers just yet tho. also make sure you have a carbon fibre pole SLX - OVA-8 for easier working - maybe an extreme but they are expensive.

I know 2 ladies running there own window cleaning and do really well - very popular with the older ladies.

depends on the winter but we really haven't had a bad one for some time and if your busy you won't notice the cold ;)
A guy round here uses reel bolted down like me but uses this to keep back door open a couple of inches for hose while working but keep van secure
I use them also after seeing him do it
Keep it on all day and remove once finished
https://amzn.eu/d/1RYDntu

A guy round here uses reel bolted down like me but uses this to keep back door open a couple of inches for hose while working but keep van secure
I use them also after seeing him do it
Keep it on all day and remove once finished
https://amzn.eu/d/1RYDntu

I leave my van back or side door open, depending on what way im taking the hose out, never once had anything nicked, its never even entered my head that things might get stolen while im working,

I know a guy pretty well who ended up getting his companies van stolen, he was working for a residential window cleaning company and left the keys in the ignition of a 3 month old brand new transit, he was using a ladder at the back of the house, came back round and the van was going the other way past him and someone waved at him, he didn’t recognise them but thought its obviously a prank because the guys waved and hes just not noticed who he was, the van was never seen again, the insurance company refused the claim because the keys were left in the ignition, the guy wasn’t even sacked.

There was a Scottish lady named @Beccy who worked wfp from a bicycle and trailer with a small son. She had split from her husband.
She hasn't been on here for a few years now, but she was an inspiration to all of us.

Her link isn't working @Frankie:) , but if you do a search using @Beccy, you will find her posts. She later upgraded to a van, but she used that bike and trailer for a number of years.

As blokes, will always try to make sure that our women don't overdo things, so your partner's lack of enthusiasm is probably very well-meaning.

There is no reason why you can't do this job within your capabilities. We passed a lot of work onto a husband and wife team. To begin with, she had difficulty raising an SLX18 pole, but in time she became an expert. I watched her from a distance once, and couldn't believe how far she had progressed, wielding her wfp pole around. She has become a real pro. It will take time to develop muscles in places most women don't have doing this job. (Don't get me wrong, my wife also struggled with a pole to begin with, but she could carry our kids around for hours, which I couldn't do.)

When my wife worked with me, we got numerous enquiries from women folk. When she later stopped working with me, we slowly lost those jobs. (The reason why she stopped was that we don't work well together as a team - never have done and with what little time we have remaining, sadly, we never will.)

I leave my van back or side door open, depending on what way im taking the hose out, never once had anything nicked, its never even entered my head that things might get stolen while im working,

I know a guy pretty well who ended up getting his companies van stolen, he was working for a residential window cleaning company and left the keys in the ignition of a 3 month old brand new transit, he was using a ladder at the back of the house, came back round and the van was going the other way past him and someone waved at him, he didn’t recognise them but thought its obviously a prank because the guys waved and hes just not noticed who he was, the van was never seen again, the insurance company refused the claim because the keys were left in the ignition, the guy wasn’t even sacked.
We have never had an issue either with theft, but I've had the wind whip the rear door open right round, which broke the internal lock mechanism. So my policy is to take the hose reels out the back and close the doors. I yell at my son when he leaves them open.

Many years ago, a van came into our panel beating shop with one of the barn doors ripped out of the van's body work. A gust of wind had apparently caught it. That did a lot of expensive damage, so I don't want the same happening to my van.
The image of that mess is burned into my brain.

I know a guy pretty well who ended up getting his companies van stolen, he was working for a residential window cleaning company and left the keys in the ignition of a 3 month old brand new transit, he was using a ladder at the back of the house, came back round and the van was going the other way past him and someone waved at him, he didn’t recognise them but thought its obviously a prank because the guys waved and hes just not noticed who he was, the van was never seen again, the insurance company refused the claim because the keys were left in the ignition, the guy wasn’t even sacked

3 or 4 times I've felt in my pockets for my keys only to find them still in the ignition, once with drivers window down. Even after cleaning 2 houses a couple of times. Luckily this was on the "better parts of the round" lol. Once I even left my wallet in passenger seat in full view for 45 mins til I was looking for change for a customer 🤦 shudder to think of it had been in some areas or bust cities.

If thats the case then all youl have to do is throw some water over a couple of windows on each house, a super soaka would probably do the trick and you still wont get any complaints id imagine, so dont need to worry about any reel or any of that carry on.
Haha as in fitness level fit 🙈

It can be physically challenging at times depending on the job and yes mind numbing as you can go a whole day without really speaking to anyone if you are in paid employment now that's easy you have set hours no chasing money and 4-5 weeks paid holiday a year,

My wife wanted to work with me in the past I talked her out of it, first off it was the amount of extra work I'd have to generate to cover her wages along with the investment required to get a 2 person set up, which would have been wasted money if she didn't like it,

she hates spiders and daddy longlegs she'd have been freaked out more times in the day on most houses and because we have a dog who is used to a set time for walks my wife was under the impression she could finish for the day at 1.30pm which would have meant me driving her home and in my opinion wasting time.

Thankfully after being in the same job for almost 20 years and then having to change jobs 3 times she now has a job she really likes, no early starts and home not much after 1pm and I get to keep my solitude and sanity.

It can be physically challenging at times depending on the job and yes mind numbing as you can go a whole day without really speaking to anyone if you are in paid employment now that's easy you have set hours no chasing money and 4-5 weeks paid holiday a year,

My wife wanted to work with me in the past I talked her out of it, first off it was the amount of extra work I'd have to generate to cover her wages along with the investment required to get a 2 person set up, which would have been wasted money if she didn't like it,

she hates spiders and daddy longlegs she'd have been freaked out more times in the day on most houses and because we have a dog who is used to a set time for walks my wife was under the impression she could finish for the day at 1.30pm which would have meant me driving her home and in my opinion wasting time.

Thankfully after being in the same job for almost 20 years and then having to change jobs 3 times she now has a job she really likes, no early starts and home not much after 1pm and I get to keep my solitude and sanity.
Some couples can work well together, others can't. We can't.

Back