Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Age.. oldest solo trader?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Okay now we know theres alot old folks around here ?

So far 79 is the old solo trader anyone knows of....?

I’m 54 and just about to start again, shining since I was 16 built up a company sold it when I was 40 , went and trained to be a sparky did it for 10 years but absolutely hated the game but thankfully got made redundant in September so starting again and feel super excited to get going and just done my van

A6E3FF7C-A7BA-4FED-BB7F-5CB8B433CB4C.jpeg

Interesting thread especially the mention of some seeing Windies in their 70s still doing Trad. Wonder the long term effects using "Modern" methods as in WFP will have on the body over time? Window cleaning is a physical activity and will have an effect especially if your using a long pole 6 or so hours a day whether it is the lightest you can get or not.

Found out where I got my tennis elbow from, its when I extend my ladder as all the strain/weight ends up at the base of my elbow and I immediately fell pain. No pain working with the extreme unless its the 35' pole so commercial guys will have long term effects. 

Interesting thread especially the mention of some seeing Windies in their 70s still doing Trad. Wonder the long term effects using "Modern" methods as in WFP will have on the body over time? Window cleaning is a physical activity and will have an effect especially if your using a long pole 6 or so hours a day whether it is the lightest you can get or not.
As I’ve said I’ve been trad for 40 years. No aches or pains. None. I can still run up and down the ladder. The only windies i hear talking about pain are the wfp ones ???

There will be effects from using poles etc. When you do any repetitive motion over and over, there are always RMS (repetitive motion syndrome). Last year I tore my right should cuff during a simple reach and stretch to get a corner of a window. The physical therapist said he saw this type injury often. 

I do agree but what we do is no ware near as physical as doing something like digging up the roads or being a builder or other manual work , it’s the easiest job I have ever done and Ime 58 

it’s the easiest job I have ever done and Ime 58 
I do agree @Pjj the overall job is simple and basic. The thing is that constant repetitive motion will always have an effect on the body. We just have to figure out the best way to mitigate the damage.

I got at least another good 20-30yrs ?

I am surprised at the amount of experiences people seem to be having of wear and tear injuries from wfp pole work. To me, I regard the vast majority of it as only light to moderate exercise, nothing more. We do only mostly work up to first floor (second level), with just a small handful of third level work. Of course working higher is a whole different ball game, especially on commercial with bigger, heavier brushes.

Admittedly, I now use an Extreme 22 and an Extreme Sill Brush. That was forced upon me as a necessity to allow me to get back to work after my operation a year ago and the chemo before and after it. I was just too weakened to use the SLX.

Prior to the op I was using an SLX 22 and a Medium Mixed Sill Brush as my everyday pole. I still use that setup for the soapwashes now that I've regained most of my fitness.

I will add that physically, I'm a lightweight, only 68kg on a good day. And nearly 65 years old. That's what confuses me. If I don't find it a particular bother, why do so many others? I'm not criticising anyone, I'm just interested.

When I think of the amount of physical work I've put my body through over the years; Days on end on jackhammers, roadwhackers and shovels. Plus the hundreds, if not thousands of miles I've kayaked on rivers, lakes, canals and sea, I feel very lucky that I rarely get an ache or pain. I did always make sure to develop my own efficient techniques for whatever work I was doing.

My mother is nearly 90 and she has great pride in telling me that she hasn't an
ache or a pain anywhere so I guess genetics might be a large help as well.

I know that a lot of people are unlucky and suffer from arthritis or injuries but I think for a lot of folk it's possibly largely down to unnecessary extra effort and a less than polished methodology and technique. I don't know.

I do agree @Pjj the overall job is simple and basic. The thing is that constant repetitive motion will always have an effect on the body. We just have to figure out the best way to mitigate the damage.

I got at least another good 20-30yrs ?
By trade I am a sprayer panel beater , I had rsi in both my elbows from using a hammer a lot , even now the muinit I start using any hammer it sets it off and I haven’t done that job in 26 years , so I agreee rsi can be a problem with jobs , Howe ever I have been window cleaning for 22 years or so 18 years aprox wfp without any noticeable issues and when I started wfp the poles were very heavy and like telegraph poles , now they are so much lighter smaller diameter there is no comparison to the original ones 

By trade I am a sprayer panel beater , I had rsi in both my elbows from using a hammer a lot , even now the muinit I start using any hammer it sets it off and I haven’t done that job in 26 years , so I agreee rsi can be a problem with jobs , Howe ever I have been window cleaning for 22 years or so 18 years aprox wfp without any noticeable issues and when I started wfp the poles were very heavy and like telegraph poles , now they are so much lighter smaller diameter there is no comparison to the original ones 
That's beauty of new tool designs most things are more ergonomic. 

The original Aluminum Tucker pole where monsters! There like the T-Rex and the SLX's are like the Velociraptor fast,light and can handle job quickly ?

Back