Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Age.. oldest solo trader?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Found out where I got my tennis elbow from, its when I extend my ladder as all the strain/weight ends up at the base of my elbow and I immediately fell pain. No pain working with the extreme unless its the 35' pole so commercial guys will have long term effects. 
Ex fireman are you not scottish.....they use bigger heavier ladders.

I am surprised at the amount of experiences people seem to be having of wear and tear injuries from wfp pole work. To me, I regard the vast majority of it as only light to moderate exercise, nothing more. We do only mostly work up to first floor (second level), with just a small handful of third level work. Of course working higher is a whole different ball game, especially on commercial with bigger, heavier brushes.

Admittedly, I now use an Extreme 22 and an Extreme Sill Brush. That was forced upon me as a necessity to allow me to get back to work after my operation a year ago and the chemo before and after it. I was just too weakened to use the SLX.

Prior to the op I was using an SLX 22 and a Medium Mixed Sill Brush as my everyday pole. I still use that setup for the soapwashes now that I've regained most of my fitness.

I will add that physically, I'm a lightweight, only 68kg on a good day. And nearly 65 years old. That's what confuses me. If I don't find it a particular bother, why do so many others? I'm not criticising anyone, I'm just interested.

When I think of the amount of physical work I've put my body through over the years; Days on end on jackhammers, roadwhackers and shovels. Plus the hundreds, if not thousands of miles I've kayaked on rivers, lakes, canals and sea, I feel very lucky that I rarely get an ache or pain. I did always make sure to develop my own efficient techniques for whatever work I was doing.

My mother is nearly 90 and she has great pride in telling me that she hasn't an
ache or a pain anywhere so I guess genetics might be a large help as well.

I know that a lot of people are unlucky and suffer from arthritis or injuries but I think for a lot of folk it's possibly largely down to unnecessary extra effort and a less than polished methodology and technique. I don't know.
Also if your working wfp  shall we say more "leisurely" rather than whipping round the windows nineteen to the dozen will make  a difference too as the faster you go the less time for good body positioning technique etc. And it is over time not necessarily immediate that effects starts.

There’s an old guy who lives in my town he’s 77 still trading 3days a week solo, fit as a fiddle he is.

if my body and mind allow me to work at 77 YES a couple of mornings a week.

my shoulders are constantly aching now and just started having tennis elbow .im 53 a life time on the glass

Also if your working wfp  shall we say more "leisurely" rather than whipping round the windows nineteen to the dozen will make  a difference too as the faster you go the less time for good body positioning technique etc. And it is over time not necessarily immediate that effects starts.
What's all this "leisurely" and "body positioning" ? For heaven's sake! Get stuck in! We're manual workers not ruddy ballerinas. Quick reactions and movements should be second nature and Automatic. As should a degree of grit and toughness. ? ?

With the current equipment available we should be able to "eat" this light work, except for those unfortunate enough to have health issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
i very rarely have any aches and pains and i think its down to  weight training 3 times a week for many years now.......it has helped with WFP plus the part time hours that i work and better equipment(electric reels,hot water and carbon poles).....this all makes a difference.....

also do you guys have terrible diets that suffer from aches and pains a lot?a high protein diet with plenty of fruit,veg and wholegrains would probably help......

i very rarely have any aches and pains and i think its down to  weight training 3 times a week for many years now.......it has helped with WFP plus the part time hours that i work and better equipment(electric reels,hot water and carbon poles).....this all makes a difference.....

also do you guys have terrible diets that suffer from aches and pains a lot?a high protein diet with plenty of fruit,veg and wholegrains would probably help......
I either have a sausage and fried onion butty or a hot Cornish pasty most days. Both of these have veg in right?

There’s an old guy who lives in my town he’s 77 still trading 3days a week solo, fit as a fiddle he is.

if my body and mind allow me to work at 77 YES a couple of mornings a week.

my shoulders are constantly aching now and just started having tennis elbow .im 53 a life time on the glass
There are things you can do to lessen the pains your felling. See a sports therapist or a physical therapist. They can do a world of good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ex fireman are you not scottish.....they use bigger heavier ladders.
The 13.5m ladder weights 95 kgs I think. 4 of us carry it and put it up then 2 of us extend it with a rope. I could hardly do it, heaven knows how women could do it when they enter the job. One was a female rugby player and good at it but she was used to flinging a guy over her shoulder and giving him a lift home. ?

I think a lot of my niggles comes from racing motocross for nigh on 30 years, too many broken bones to mention and torn ligaments but I still get up everyday and walk 5 miles before I go to work, I love the outdoors and could never be stuck behind a desk it just isn’t me, as my dad used to say you can rest when your dead son !

I think a lot of my niggles comes from racing motocross for nigh on 30 years, too many broken bones to mention and torn ligaments but I still get up everyday and walk 5 miles before I go to work, I love the outdoors and could never be stuck behind a desk it just isn’t me, as my dad used to say you can rest when your dead son !
Riding crossers is why all my fingers are not straight lol.

My grandad always said "I'll sleep when I'm dead" lol

Back