Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

any good videos?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

When working on my own years ago I would use 500-650 ltr in around 7 hours so what you are using isn’t excessive, as for univalve save your money and just kink the hose over between windows works just as well and doesn’t cost £30 and only last 10 months 
I must admit that they are my thoughts about kinking the pipe and the the univalve. When my aquadapter broke it was heaven at how light the pole felt at angles, I swore I’d never go back, I’d get a bigger tank first lol

The chap who trained me told me I was being too thorough. Once it's is clean its not getting any cleaner, its like being pregnant... you ain't getting her pregnant again once the jobs done haha.

It took me a while to find the right technique (Probably still ain't found it). I watched some video's on youtube and took some advice on technique from the guys on here. The more practice I get the faster I get at it so i'm sure you will be the same. if you're just getting into the swing of things again you may find a shut off helpful, its amazing how much you can waste between windows, especially when you get snagged on something on the way.

The best video I could find was this. Not really about speed but knowing the technique will surely speed you along.

Thanks for that. That makes perfect sense. I think I miss someone telling me “that enough” it “that’s too much” etc. I have only ever had one complaint off a customer, so I know I’m doing enough, but not if I’m doing too much lol

I only use 200 lites a day & windows left great. Trolley saves water I think as don't need pressure as high so not using so much water ?

This is what I mean with wanting to see a video. People put, I only use X amount of water a day etc. But I’d love to see how they are only using that amount a day if you get what I’m saying. I think to be able to do a full days work on something as low a 200 litres of water a day would be amazing. Imagine  the savings to the business, you could easily work out of a family car at that, never mind all the reduced costs of resin and/or membranes etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I mean with wanting to see a video. People put, I only use X amount of water a day etc. But I’d love to see how they are only using that amount a day if you get what I’m saying. I think to be able to do a full days work on something as low a 200 litres of water a day would be amazing. Imagine  the savings to the business, you could easily work out of a family car at that, never mind all the reduced costs of resin and/or membranes etc. 
I think you're over thinking it man. Just get to your optimum and go from there. Things like stop taps and univalve are great to help but when it comes to speed its quite an individual thing. In theory the old chaps should be much slower than the young guns but I bet in some cases it comes down to arm strength which comes with regular use of the pole. Then you have to factor in the weight of your pole and brush head, if I put the heavy sill brush on my cleaning time is extended. Basically there are a lot of variables, don't worry about how fast johnny down the road can clean cos he ain't you.

When I first started I did some friends windows for free and then canvassed in the street to drum up some business. One is a new build 2 bed and the second time I did it I timed myself, raced round and completed it in 12 minutes from set up to packing away... When I went away and thought about it, had it been a paying customer I would not have been happy doing it that quick. Going a little (only a little) slower and checking my workmanship gives me peace of mind. To be fair I checked the one I am on about the next day and the job was good but its just the worry. I am happy at 20 minutes for a house that size.

I struggle to use 500L in a day. Can't think of last time it happened. 

10 years back when I started with DIY systems I was lucky enough to have a mentor whom was a real geek in the world of cleaning and the science of it. 

He told me then that optimum water flow for clean windows was 2 LPM and I've stuck with that guide line ever since. 

Yes, I clean quicker than many I see out and about. Perhaps that's just experience, I don't get complaints cause although I'm quick I'm there long enough to ensure the jobs done right. 

What I have learnt over the years is optimum flow is enough water to get the dirt to run off the glass.  No more. No less. 

I have watched many if not all of your videos green pro and you are one of the people who make me doubt myself and/or want to strive to improve myself. I agree, I don’t think for me personally restricting water flow any lower is the answer. It’s speed and ultimately confidence, I think maybe I’ll stick to my present water usage and either fill up at dinner or get a bigger tank. I’ll also work on my speed which should ultimately reduce the water I use. 

I have watched many if not all of your videos green pro and you are one of the people who make me doubt myself and/or want to strive to improve myself. I agree, I don’t think for me personally restricting water flow any lower is the answer. It’s speed and ultimately confidence, I think maybe I’ll stick to my present water usage and either fill up at dinner or get a bigger tank. I’ll also work on my speed which should ultimately reduce the water I use. 
Don't forget to install a shut off too  :1f602:

If I've got a busy day and I'm in the right mindset for it (eg. good weather!), I can usually do £100-£120 in about 150-180 litres of water; usually takes a few hours. This tends to mean my pump pressure is set slightly higher than normal, so my water goes down quicker, but I work faster. If I'm not feeling the day or am just generally tired, I can use 200 litres on the same work and practically watch it waste away while rinsing, but I'm taking the day more steady. We all have our own way of working and so, to be honest, unless it's costing you a fortune and you need to cut costs back, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're having to go home or whatever to refill throughout the day then maybe just upgrade your tank?

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Note: I usually run my pump at the exact same settings daily. I use a univalve which has saved an unimaginable amount of water. I still can do a full 6-8 hour day on 350l or less

If I've got a busy day and I'm in the right mindset for it (eg. good weather!), I can usually do £100-£120 in about 150-180 litres of water; usually takes a few hours. This tends to mean my pump pressure is set slightly higher than normal, so my water goes down quicker, but I work faster. If I'm not feeling the day or am just generally tired, I can use 200 litres on the same work and practically watch it waste away while rinsing, but I'm taking the day more steady. We all have our own way of working and so, to be honest, unless it's costing you a fortune and you need to cut costs back, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're having to go home or whatever to refill throughout the day then maybe just upgrade your tank?

Note: I usually run my pump at the exact same settings daily. I use a univalve which has saved an unimaginable amount of water. I still can do a full 6-8 hour day on 350l or less

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, what you’re saying makes sense. It costs me very little as in resin usage etc, the costs are in time as in the time taken to refill and/or not doing the amount of work in a day that’s possible. I think a combination of a bigger tank, some sort of water saving device (even if it’s just a tap) and working on my speed without affecting results is the way forward. 

They were never intended to make you doubt yourself.... just the ramblings of an old man that learnt most things the hard way.  

Lowering the water pressure may be just the ticket.  You could be causing spotting from splatter from too higher water flow? Just food for thought. 

They were never intended to make you doubt yourself.... just the ramblings of an old man that learnt most things the hard way.  

Lowering the water pressure may be just the ticket.  You could be causing spotting from splatter from too higher water flow? Just food for thought. 
@Green Pro Clean Ltd... Where are these videos dude? Forgive me if i'm being thick and they're somewhere obvious. I did look but I can't find them 

Water usage can be a real issue more so if you are using 2mm jets which are just real pain and have no real pressure when rinsing, I did a F.S.G job on Saturday using 2mm jets what a nigthmare rinsing was painfully slow. 

Now I use Gardiners brushes so I ditched the 2mm jets years ago and now remove them from any new orders what I do use and have used for around 8-9 years are https://www.clarketools.net/clarke-pack-of-5-10mm-welding-tips---8132275-591-p.asp , These give a more powerful rinse and use far less water as the actual id of the jet is 0.8mm you will be able to reduce the flow quite a bit, but find the right balance not to high otherwise you will get bounce back . 

I struggle to empty a 350ltr tank on a full days work with over 20 jobs I can have a estimated 35-50ltrs left in my tank. The welding tips can fairly easily be inserted into the Gardiners brushes although on ocassions may need a little tap or 2 with a hammer. 

Latest Posts

Back