Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Burned by customer . . . What would you do?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Block their number and move on!!

My cancellation policy is 100% of the price for a last-minute cancellation or failure to provide access as agreed I always get my money as most of my customers pay via direct debit, so it's not an issue and I'm guessing 99.9% of the email's confirming the payment request goes to spam.

Customers of late are really starting to pish me off and @Dodotop I'm like you, I don't like confrontation but customers are getting put in their place I have dropped quite a few recently that have been on my rounds for years and have always paid via bacs and this hasn't been an issue but all payers that were to be chased multiple times for payment have now been removed from my rounds.

Some customers will have personal stuff going on most likely financial despite seeming well off with a nice house and cars etc, I have had more drop me in recent months than ever before and they have been pretty blunt about it saying they can't justify the price for the time it takes me to clean their windows, these will all be blocked.

As window cleaners we have a verbal agreement with the customer that’s just as legally binding as a written contract , but it’s not worth trying to enforce if for the price of an average domestic clean It’s far better to just dump and move on .
I’d love to see if that’s ever worked out for anyone though as it’s your word against theirs with no evidence or proof. It wouldn’t even get to court, maybe judge Rinder😂

Obviously your round / business is a pretty big one mate but personally I would have just done the outside for half the money. Saves grief and you may have kept the customer that way.
Again, you’ve got a good size business there so your terms etc and running must be working for you 👍🏼
Thats what we were trying to do, I wasnt pushing for insides and was already doing the mental gymnastics of lining up a replacement for the time. Was fully expecting to just do and get paid for external clean, she left side open for us.
It quickly became apparent over the phone call though that we werent getting paid for squat and he was more than happy to screw us over.

Personally I find the 50% late cancellation fee gives the best protection/warning to customers. There was even one job who paid for six or seven months like that before we arranged to be on the same schedule as the cleaner.

Id be interested if anyone has ever gotten anything out of the legal route, not just the threat of? I took an old employer to small claims for unpaid wages, but obviously a completely different circumstance, still was a big hassle though.

Now ive cooled a bit Im likely to leave it, but I might have a change of heart and do something truly dastardly and kidnap their kittens or something!

I’d love to see if that’s ever worked out for anyone though as it’s your word against theirs with no evidence or proof. It wouldn’t even get to court, maybe judge Rinder😂
Actually it would stand up in a court the fact that you can supply years of BACS payments is enough evidence as is a reply to an email accepting a quote , we keep all these on file and if we had any issues which is very rare we remind the client of said emails etc . I do however accept its not worth perusing a domestic job through the courts for £25-100 , however when it’s a commercial company and thousands of pounds that’s a different matter , I have ccj against a couple of companies but have never got the money but it has put one firm out of business as several of us got to gether and took legal action . The other one it wasn’t worth continuing with further action .

Just a quick word of thanks again to all you regular contributors here, I dont post much but have gleaned a lot from reading your guys experiences.

So got burned today by a customer. Think they had been unreliable in the past, so when they rejoined round a few years back I made sure that they were aware of all our T&Cs.
The numbers arent too important but for context its a three monthly job that we do in and out for £133+Vat £160. I always send out notifications weekend before due with date to expect us.
Last visit I surprised the wife as her husband hadnt passed on the message, same thing today. So we have a little chuckle about how hopeless he is and I mention that I can take her number as well to include her in future. She had to go out so was unsure about leaving us alone to do inside, her husband has often done so before but she seemed a bit nervy as I had my lad with me today. I didnt push.

She went away called husband and upon return she said outside only, I said we require 24hr notice when canceling or adjusting, but I wasnt strong, it was very measured and she seemed to understand and said I can message husband. We start front and do a few windows when I get a call from the husband, he says: "Its not going to work out, we are going to have to part ways", I was shocked and again meekly mention our cancelation policy, to which he says "well its my policy for you to give two weeks notice . . .".

Im not very good with confrontations and just kept silent as could feel myself getting mad and didnt think that was gonna help anything. So he hung up on me. We managed to last minute slot in a £65+Vat job from our waiting list, but still a bit out of pocket.

Im just so shocked by the sense of entitlement and lack of respect for you and your business that some people have. I console myself by the fact that for every bad egg theres likely 50/60 great customers out there. Its odd as our relationship for the past 3 or 4 years had been good, and the reasons for bumping them in the past werent this bad.

How would you proceed? We have a 50% late cancelation fee, should I send a bill followed by small claims notices? As always its about the principle as opposed to the money.
Does your reputation in the community effect your view of doing so? If your kids went same school or something like that?!
Ive never had to pursue this with any residential jobs, just on commercial one.

Thanks in advance for all the tips and thoughts.
I would be dancing a merry jig if I got out of doing the insides. I hate doing them. I don’t like last minute cancellations though and usually give the customer a couple of passes until I decide they are messers . But I’ll never complain if they say just do the outside this time ! I am too busy most of the time though

Just a quick word of thanks again to all you regular contributors here, I dont post much but have gleaned a lot from reading your guys experiences.

So got burned today by a customer. Think they had been unreliable in the past, so when they rejoined round a few years back I made sure that they were aware of all our T&Cs.
The numbers arent too important but for context its a three monthly job that we do in and out for £133+Vat £160. I always send out notifications weekend before due with date to expect us.
Last visit I surprised the wife as her husband hadnt passed on the message, same thing today. So we have a little chuckle about how hopeless he is and I mention that I can take her number as well to include her in future. She had to go out so was unsure about leaving us alone to do inside, her husband has often done so before but she seemed a bit nervy as I had my lad with me today. I didnt push.

She went away called husband and upon return she said outside only, I said we require 24hr notice when canceling or adjusting, but I wasnt strong, it was very measured and she seemed to understand and said I can message husband. We start front and do a few windows when I get a call from the husband, he says: "Its not going to work out, we are going to have to part ways", I was shocked and again meekly mention our cancelation policy, to which he says "well its my policy for you to give two weeks notice . . .".

Im not very good with confrontations and just kept silent as could feel myself getting mad and didnt think that was gonna help anything. So he hung up on me. We managed to last minute slot in a £65+Vat job from our waiting list, but still a bit out of pocket.

Im just so shocked by the sense of entitlement and lack of respect for you and your business that some people have. I console myself by the fact that for every bad egg theres likely 50/60 great customers out there. Its odd as our relationship for the past 3 or 4 years had been good, and the reasons for bumping them in the past werent this bad.

How would you proceed? We have a 50% late cancelation fee, should I send a bill followed by small claims notices? As always its about the principle as opposed to the money.
Does your reputation in the community effect your view of doing so? If your kids went same school or something like that?!
Ive never had to pursue this with any residential jobs, just on commercial one.

Thanks in advance for all the tips and thoughts.
Billing them for the late cancellation fee sounds like the right move. Stick to your policies. Best of luck!

Actually it would stand up in a court the fact that you can supply years of BACS payments is enough evidence as is a reply to an email accepting a quote , we keep all these on file and if we had any issues which is very rare we remind the client of said emails etc . I do however accept its not worth perusing a domestic job through the courts for £25-100 , however when it’s a commercial company and thousands of pounds that’s a different matter , I have ccj against a couple of companies but have never got the money but it has put one firm out of business as several of us got to gether and took legal action . The other one it wasn’t worth continuing with further action .
Exactly my point, your case is alot stronger than the ops and still didn’t get paid. Unless your a big company with alot of money to throw at it your chances are slim and even then most big company’s would just pass it over to a debt collections company. Like I said, I would like to see a court order a payment for incomplete work when cases like yours haven’t been paid when the work has actually been done. Better just to forget and move on although it can be very hard to swallow.

Back