Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customer cancelled direct debit?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ashley1337

So I've just had a payment failed due to customer cancelling their mandate for direct debit on their side. They're not replied to any messages and not answered the phone, other than going around and physically door knocking and potentially causing chaos, what can you do about this?

So I've just had a payment failed due to customer cancelling their mandate for direct debit on their side. They're not replied to any messages and not answered the phone, other than going around and physically door knocking and potentially causing chaos, what can you do about this?
If they arnt replying to any other communication then it’s time for a home visit , tea time is best .

If they arnt replying to any other communication then it’s time for a home visit , tea time is best .
My only issue here is if they still refuse to pay, what can I do? I've not actually met this customer, she contacted for a quote via Facebook, wasn't in when I went round so i called and gave her it over the phone, then she signed up with gocardless instantly when i sent the link.

If it comes to an argument is it really worth my business looking bad with my sign written van outside someone's house arguing? Or do I walk away if she says no and get some kids to egg the windows in a few weeks time haha

My only issue here is if they still refuse to pay, what can I do? I've not actually met this customer, she contacted for a quote via Facebook, wasn't in when I went round so i called and gave her it over the phone, then she signed up with gocardless instantly when i sent the link.

If it comes to an argument is it really worth my business looking bad with my sign written van outside someone's house arguing? Or do I walk away if she says no and get some kids to egg the windows in a few weeks time haha
I wouldn’t go arguing with then just say the job has been done and no payment recurved and I have noticed you have cancelled tge dd is there a problem?., see what they say , worse case scenario it’s a walk away and dump job .

Last edited:
I wouldn’t go arguing with then just say tge hib has been done and no payment recurved and I have noticed you have cancelled tge dd is there a problem?., see what they say , worse case scenario it’s a walk away and dump job .
I'll give this a try tomorrow if they don't reply by then. I think either way if they pay or not ill dump them as customers, I'm not looking for any drama lol

I have too many customers now to worry about it. All I would do is cancel them and forget about payment, they obviously have money problems and better to dodge them. That's all I do now, 2 cleans and they haven't paid then I don't go back, don't need the hassle but I'm very busy with good paying work. When I started window cleaning I would text and call them for payment but not anymore, those days are finished. I put the cost down to finding good paying customers.

I'll give this a try tomorrow if they don't reply by then. I think either way if they pay or not ill dump them as customers, I'm not looking for any drama lol
Walking away if they refuse to pay is a bitter pill to swallow. They broke the trust you afforded them. But on a positive note, they have let you gain window cleaning experience.
You picked the customer up from social media. You didn't have the expense of door knocking to find them, because door knocking costs you time and money. Unfortunately, you are going to find these dishonest people using social media to get things done for free. It's the nature of the beast. You have just weeded out a messer.

Perhaps next time you might suggest a time when they are there to do the clean, so you can get cash payment then and there. While you are there, you could then send the go cardless link for the next clean. If they don't want to work on those terms, which aren't unreasonable, then their property doesn't get cleaned. I will always tell the customer that this is the way we work because we have been shafted in the past. We have to earn the trust of the customer in the same way they have to earn ours. I've often told new customers this to their faces.

Then there are just some areas we will not do business in. The house you put photos up with all the junk in a pile in the back garden would be a house we wouldn't consider doing. If you are targeting areas like that, then maybe you would be better off getting cash first or looking for work in better areas.

I`d pop round there if I was you. Find out what the problem is. Its amazing how nice people can be when you catch them off guard. Don`t worry about your van being sign written. i don`t see why they should get a free window clean.

I just knock on the door and hand them this letter, edit as necessary,

Dear Customer,

This is a final request for the £25 outstanding since January 19th. On February 13th you said you would pay me my bank transfer and took my bank details. If payment is not received by March 3rd 2017 an administration charge of £40 will be added to your current bill and a claim will be filed in the Small Claims Court, which will incur a further £25 charge.

Just in case you have misplaced my bank details, they are

Account Name,

Sort Code

Account Number

I am no longer able to provide any future services due to lack of payment.

Regards

Don't know what they'd do if they called my bluff but in 4 letters have achieved 100% success. As you can see never had a problem for a few years.

If you are unable to contact the customer to discuss the failed payment, you may want to consider other methods of communication such as email or post. You could also include a clear explanation of the payment error and how the customer can resolve the issue. If all else fails, you may have to consider legal options such as small claims court or debt collection agency involvement.

Back