Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Customers perceptions!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Potta81

Some of u guys have gave me some advice recently on my future change to wfp. I’m still cleaning trad for now. I was cleaning today & a lady walked past & shouted ohhh you’re a “proper window cleaner”!!! I said what do u mean? She replied, u don’t just spray the water on & leave it! Im going to have comments like this when I change over next year no doubt, so I thought I’d use the opportunity to practice educating people. So I came down the ladder & tried to educate her as best I could without the experience of doing wfp. She explained she recently moved from London where she had someone clean her 3rd story flat & didn’t like wfp. Why do people have this negative perception about wfp?!! I haven’t even changed over yet & I was really annoyed by her. Lol

It's usually the elderly, they're like that about anything that's not from their era.

You get the odd younger one, but their opinions are based on their elderly influences.

It's the same as saying "they dont make it like they used to" which roughly translated means "I'm stuck in my comfort zone and dont like new things".

Then there is the ones who've had a bad experience from the window cleaner who either doesn't know any better or couldn't care less.

I have successfully converted a few of these over the years, you have to be very confident in your cleaning ability to persuade them to try it, then you have to back that up in order to clean the windows to perfection.

That 1-2 punch combo will straighten them up.

i’ve given up trying to educate the ignorant. Some people are just so set in their ways its often best just to leave them to their own devices as they will not be told ?‍♂️
Good luck getting someone to clean a 3rd storey flat Trad lol

Had two older customers this week that said to me that, thought they understand and accept why many of us are switching over to WFP, they preferred it when I did it the 'old' way. When I questioned them about why, it appears it's not the finished result that bothers them, it's fact that they don't see instant results and they don't like waiting for them to dry off.

However, I have also had customers seek me out on the basis that I clean them with WFP and not traditionally.

Everyone is entitled to their preference at the end of the day

Yeah I'm willing to wager that the woman was of age. They are just stuck in their ways and see WFP as completely alien to what they know. I got an elderly couple who I tried my best to fully explain the pure water system. Cleaned them the other day and the fella said 'I thought you were using tap water' ?‍♂️ I explained in detail again but who knows if it sunk in. ?

Some people just can't get it and will never like it. Other people think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Others just couldn't give a **** if you clean their windows with newspapers and vinegar!

I was out trading today on new flats with those juliet balconies. A lot easier rather than trying to get the brush through the bars but one is still up a ladder. We seem to live in a world where people want instant results and that's where trad has the edge. Wfp good for speed and most of all, safety. I wonder if we will see a hot soapy wfp where you finish it off by rinsing with pure?

Q

I was out trading today on new flats with those juliet balconies. A lot easier rather than trying to get the brush through the bars but one is still up a ladder. We seem to live in a world where people want instant results and that's where trad has the edge. Wfp good for speed and most of all, safety. I wonder if we will see a hot soapy wfp where you finish it off by rinsing with pure?
Extreme 26cm brush for Juliet rails ?

Make your own rules guys. Use the methods that suit you. 

Don’t, for heavens sake let the customer dictate. If they want things done "the old way", let them do their laundry with a wash-board, tin bath and mangle. I've been known to let them have a slice of it (politely) when put to it. ?

Why would we do that, SCS? We only want to "kill" the dirt once. ?

I think it’s a blend of what you’ve all said, some people just doing a bad job, customers thinking it’s just tap water sprayed on the window & the fact that the results aren’t instant, The older generation set in their ways etc....I currently have someone working for me but when I change over to wfp I’ll be a one man band so losing the odd few customers won’t matter at all as I’m swamped with work for 2 people now! I’ll assess what I’ve lost over the first few months of the change over & either try & sell part of my round that I don’t need or may even just let it go!

Some of u guys have gave me some advice recently on my future change to wfp. I’m still cleaning trad for now. I was cleaning today & a lady walked past & shouted ohhh you’re a “proper window cleaner”!!! I said what do u mean? She replied, u don’t just spray the water on & leave it! Im going to have comments like this when I change over next year no doubt, so I thought I’d use the opportunity to practice educating people. So I came down the ladder & tried to educate her as best I could without the experience of doing wfp. She explained she recently moved from London where she had someone clean her 3rd story flat & didn’t like wfp. Why do people have this negative perception about wfp?!! I haven’t even changed over yet & I was really annoyed by her. Lol

There are  wfp cleaners that do a very poor job , we pick up loads of work by people saying they want a window cleaner that doesn’t use the garden brush , I tell them I will clean there windows for free with my garden brush and walk away , every single one has always phoned asking why don’t my windows look like that when the other guy did the job , we always get the person as a new customer , over the years I bet we have picked up over 100 new jobs this way 

I've got a few custys who were previously traded and are now sold on WFP since i've been along to them. Last one was a few days back said i do it so much better than the other bloke used to and his windows always look excellent afterwards. All of these customers had previously been serviced by a tradder and were cautious about trying WFP.

I got a lady who had done them herself for years, then got a tradder, lost him and then called me. She really wasn't impressed by the idea of a set of bristles scrubbing her glass and frames... got a text the day after saying she was definitely impressed and they were so clean on the outside she went round the house doing them all inside to match it and definitely wants to keep me lol

Q

Extreme 26cm brush for Juliet rails ?
I have used every brush I have owned for these even on the top floor of 3 storey town houses, never had an issue, apart from an awkward one were it got stuck once or twice not fun with a 25ft pole fully extended ?

"Educating people"? if some of your prospective customers want their windows cleaned Traditionally it is their choice (they are the employer). They do not meet your customer profile if your wfp, so you say sorry and move on.

I have used every brush I have owned for these even on the top floor of 3 storey town houses, never had an issue, apart from an awkward one were it got stuck once or twice not fun with a 25ft pole fully extended ?
Just have to go carefull.. I do quite a few blocks with juliet balconies and they have a tendency to not be shut properly and open inwards while cleaning.

As for the brush any one will do if using a swivel as it's so much easier to manoeuvre between the bars.

Just have to go carefull.. I do quite a few blocks with juliet balconies and they have a tendency to not be shut properly and open inwards while cleaning.

As for the brush any one will do if using a swivel as it's so much easier to manoeuvre between the bars.
I used to use my ultimate brushes but the extreme are some much easier ?

"Educating people"? if some of your prospective customers want their windows cleaned Traditionally it is their choice (they are the employer). They do not meet your customer profile if your wfp, so you say sorry and move on.
By educating I meant explaining that there’s a little more to it than spraying water on the window! (As she put it!!)

Ive had a few this week that contacted me asking for specifically trad cleaners after bad experiences with, i can only assume, dodgy wfp providers. On explaining to them the multitude of reasons why I don't use trad anymore (safety/longer lasting clean etc) I have converted 3 out of the 4 with the 4th saying he had no issue with wfp but liked the finish from trad more... Still trying to figure that out as both provide essentially the same finish haha (I'm assuming he's either an old guy stuck in his ways or had a **** experience again)

Back