Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Diy Brush

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Its really a choice between the Black Nylon Monofialment brush and the Red Polyester Monfilament brush.

Nylon Filament is thicker and absorbant – final rinse with this monofilament is recomended. Nylon has better scrubbing ability than the Polyester Filament. Overall use of this brush is slower to use than the Polyester Filament.

Polyester Filament is thiner and absorbs little water/dirt – final rinse can be reduce up to 70%. The Red Polyester filament brush is fastest brush to use for regular maintence cleans.

Trim finish can be Full trim or Double trim.

An alternative brush is a Double Trim Hybrid Brush - aprox 85% Red polyester filament with the centre part of the brush Black Bours Hair. Fast brush with the extra scrubbing ability fron the Bours Hair and reduced final rinse.

A 100% Bours Hair brush is another option, but as you may be aware you will need to increase the water flow rate to speed up the use by reducing the drag these brushes can have. You can have this brush in longer length bristles, medium length or if you are adventurouse short Double Trim. (I don’t recommend these types of brush for regular maintence cleans, your choice though)

Alternativly on this occasion I don’t mind making a one off brush with any configuration of bristles/monofilaments, trim finish you want (within reason)

Richard

Well I'm thinking the Polyester monofilament which sounds like it would be best for me and think as we're going to be reviewing it a brush that would suit most buyers looking for a good all rounder as well so any thoughts chaps.

Do I get it second as I live near dodger?

I agree,the maintenance clean brush is favourite, I would go for dual trim, but don't care really.

Oh it may get lost in the post after I get it! /emoticons/smile.png

I'm sure it's going to be compared against just about every brush on the market as theres a few members that will no doubt want to try it, vikan, gardener etc diy brushes as well.

I want to try it because I'm going to be buying one and I will be reviewing it against ionics, brodex and gardiners and also my tooth brush /emoticons/biggrin.png

So what are you going to compare it against?

I always compare against the stopwatch, as well made as my brushes are if they didn’t clean faster – I wouldn’t be interested in them.

You can just compare the brush to the brush you are currently using or any brushes you have used, and see how you get on with it. Hopefully it will save you more time and require less effort to use.

Richard

I'm sure it's going to be compared against just about every brush on the market as theres a few members that will no doubt want to try it, vikan, gardener etc diy brushes as well.
Dodger - when you do a comparison, you have to have something that you can compare one against the other.Take Top Gear for example. They evaluate a model and then pitch it against its rival/rivals to see how it performs against them on the day. Does it have a better ride, better handling, less body roll in a corner, bigger boot, more sex appeal, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance and RFL etc. Where it doesn't feature strongly, are their other redeeming features that will make up for the deficit.

So how are you going to compare the cleaning ability of the Aerial brush against what you already have considering that glass changes from window to window, house to house. How do you evaluate the performance of one against the other. If you use your current brush first and the Aerial brush second on the same piece of glass, is that a fair evaluation, especially as the first brush did the hard work - and vice versa?

Also, how can you compare a new Aerial brush against your worn brush? So are you going to buy a new brush?

Richard says he would use a stop watch - OK. Hence the reason for asking how you would appraise both brushes fairly. In all due honesty, we all accept the Richard's appraisal of his own brush would be biased toward his product - that's human nature. You challenged that and that is why you now have this evaluation to do.

Spruce

Meant to add - Richard states that he wouldn't be interested in something that didn't save him time and effort. Again, a perfectly reasonable statement. How are you going to quantify expended effort using each brush? If the Aerial brush is heavier than a Superlite for example, how are you going to evaluate the effort involved against lifting the pole and brush up to the glass against the reduced effort of less scrubbing effort and time?

Dodger - when you do a comparison, you have to have something that you can compare one against the other.Take Top Gear for example. They evaluate a model and then pitch it against its rival/rivals to see how it performs against them on the day. Does it have a better ride, better handling, less body roll in a corner, bigger boot, more sex appeal, better fuel economy, cheaper insurance and RFL etc. Where it doesn't feature strongly, are their other redeeming features that will make up for the deficit.

So how are you going to compare the cleaning ability of the Aerial brush against what you already have considering that glass changes from window to window, house to house. How do you evaluate the performance of one against the other. If you use your current brush first and the Aerial brush second on the same piece of glass, is that a fair evaluation, especially as the first brush did the hard work - and vice versa?

Also, how can you compare a new Aerial brush against your worn brush? So are you going to buy a new brush?

Richard says he would use a stop watch - OK. Hence the reason for asking how you would appraise both brushes fairly. In all due honesty, we all accept the Richard's appraisal of his own brush would be biased toward his product - that's human nature. You challenged that and that is why you now have this evaluation to do.

Spruce

Meant to add - Richard states that he wouldn't be interested in something that didn't save him time and effort. Again, a perfectly reasonable statement. How are you going to quantify expended effort using each brush? If the Aerial brush is heavier than a Superlite for example, how are you going to evaluate the effort involved against lifting the pole and brush up to the glass against the reduced effort of less scrubbing effort and time?

Well Spruce thing is we're window cleaners not engineers, I'm no expert in fact I'm far from it but there are lads going to be trying the brush that I'd class as just that, very experienced wfp users that know their gear, anyone using tools enough knows their tools.
For instance I'm also a DJ and can tell well in advance just from the feel and glide of the volume slider on my mixer that the slider is on it's way out because it's my main tool and I can tell just from the sound in the room that theres even just a slight fault with the system.

An experienced window cleaner using his tools day in day out will have the same feel for his tools and WILL know instinctively if this brush is better or faster.

Well Spruce thing is we're window cleaners not engineers, I'm no expert in fact I'm far from it but there are lads going to be trying the brush that I'd class as just that, very experienced wfp users that know their gear, anyone using tools enough knows their tools.

For instance I'm also a DJ and can tell well in advance just from the feel and glide of the volume slider on my mixer that the slider is on it's way out because it's my main tool and I can tell just from the sound in the room that theres even just a slight fault with the system.

An experienced window cleaner using his tools day in day out will have the same feel for his tools and WILL know instinctively if this brush is better or faster.
Interesting analogy. I look forward to your findings as I'm sure Richard will as well.

Spruce

Interesting analogy. I look forward to your findings as I'm sure Richard will as well.

Spruce
lol I just use what I know mate, I get where ya coming from by the way but just think it's simpler than that.
As sex appeal goes though I reckon Richards brushes as brushes go are up there with the Aston Martins.

Personally as well obviously I can only compare to a couple of diy brushes but I'm sure other newbies like myself plan to invest at first in just one brush and if I'm doing that I want the best I can afford, I'll only give it a quick try out and I'll know if I want it and I think other newbies that wouldn't necessarily go for a brush this expensive might like to know if it is in fact worth it which is mainly where the other lads findings will matter.

As i said I'll only give it a quick try, on my own windows and a couple of houses I have in mind and it'll go on to someone more experienced. The houses I have in mind by the way are identical, next door to each other and I'll only use Richards brush on one.

Spruce, Dodger very good post, with lots of great points for consideration.

Dodger is right it is very simple to see if you like the brush - initially it should take only a few seconds when you clean the first window with the brush to make your mind up. It is really that simple. After this you need to speed up. The hard work of making the product has been done - or you have to do is use it.

Spruce, brush weight or the weight at the end of a wfp is important; some Aerial brush stocks are light and can weigh as low as 210g, when making a wfp brush after the simple issue of deciding the weight of the brush stock – the most important thing is how that brush performs, not if the brush is 30grams lighter or heavier. There are many more things to consider for a wfp brush maker.

Richard

Its really a choice between the Black Nylon Monofialment brush and the Red Polyester Monfilament brush.

Nylon Filament is thicker and absorbant – final rinse with this monofilament is recomended. Nylon has better scrubbing ability than the Polyester Filament. Overall use of this brush is slower to use than the Polyester Filament.

Polyester Filament is thiner and absorbs little water/dirt – final rinse can be reduce up to 70%. The Red Polyester filament brush is fastest brush to use for regular maintence cleans.

Trim finish can be Full trim or Double trim.

An alternative brush is a Double Trim Hybrid Brush - aprox 85% Red polyester filament with the centre part of the brush Black Bours Hair. Fast brush with the extra scrubbing ability fron the Bours Hair and reduced final rinse.

A 100% Bours Hair brush is another option, but as you may be aware you will need to increase the water flow rate to speed up the use by reducing the drag these brushes can have. You can have this brush in longer length bristles, medium length or if you are adventurouse short Double Trim. (I don’t recommend these types of brush for regular maintence cleans, your choice though)

Alternativly on this occasion I don’t mind making a one off brush with any configuration of bristles/monofilaments, trim finish you want (within reason)

Richard
Well no one else seems to want to throw there 2 penneth in so I'll go with the boys that have and say the double trim hybrid brush then if you're still willing Richard.
And Belfast I think you should be one of the first by the way.

That’s fine, good choice of brush.

I will sort that out; as mentioned before give me a little time arrange this, in the mean time keep me informed on how many forum members are interested in trying the brush.

Richard

Back