Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric reels recommendations

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If have 2 hd power ups and also The proloc which is the manual version, yes easy to reel in, when buying the hd power up you get a reel handle included as a back up but never had a issue with with my hd power ups. 

Do they hold extra hose ? As I have only seen a couple of the PF reels, just out of curiosity why are the hd power up to narrow for you? 
the hose is a pain in the **** when it falls off the side on the HD reels according to the 2 window cleaners that i know who have them.....you can fit more hose on the PF reels comfortably and no chance of the hose coming off the sides....?....

the hose is a pain in the **** when it falls off the side on the HD reels according to the 2 window cleaners that i know who have them.....you can fit more hose on the PF reels comfortably and no chance of the hose coming off the sides....?....
Yes it as happen twice to me in three years so not a big deal, but that as nothing to do with being narrow IMO when it came off for me you learn very quickly not to make the same mistake twice or in my case it came or twice for me to learn lol.

The photo was a mod that I done in 2017 but the reel had overspin so sometimes the hose would go baggy so removed the roller but before waterworks introduced the overspin kit the hose could go baggy anyway, this thread has just remind me reinstall it. 

The other thing for new hd power reel users is to remember when reeling in is to hold the hose with a cloth taunt and the hose wouldnt  go over the reel discs plus cleans your hose each time you reel in. 

149EFE9F-7A9F-4B6D-A30A-202E6A327B52.jpeg

The Proloc reels will take 100m of microbore but 100m of minibore isn't recommended.
We used 100m 8mm plus 25m of pole hose no probs, simple mod by lowering the cross brace down one hole if you don’t lower the cross brace then the 8mm hose used to rub on the lower brace.

You can see in the photo that the 2 top bolts aren’t holding anything as they cross support as been lowered. 

Then an only problem to be honest is that 8mm is harder to reel in and work with compare to 6mm.

B0D0A310-7902-4BD1-B558-302D74B2C07E.jpeg

why would you work with 8mm hose when 6mm is just so much easier?
I use minibore. Only a manual reel too. I tried to find out if one was better than the other but from what i read they both seemed to be neither better in the end. I prob would've been better with micro but could not find that out, and looked for ages.

I use minibore. Only a manual reel too. I tried to find out if one was better than the other but from what i read they both seemed to be neither better in the end. I prob would've been better with micro but could not find that out, and looked for ages.
Ive just re-read some old posts. im happy with it, Prob if had electric reel micro (6mm) would've been the choice. What I have aint too heavy as id cut 30 odd metres off the 100 as i find I dont need it.

why would you work with 8mm hose when 6mm is just so much easier?
As when you buy the facelift compact the manual reel is preinstall with 8mm you don't get a choice.

my advise is anyone buying a facelift compact is too buy it with the electric reel in the first place and don't make the mistake I did as not long after having the manual I splashed out upgraded on the electric reel. 

Having used both the 6 mm is so much easier to use , pull round corners , lighter , and flow rate difference  is minimal I agree with @dazmond try it you will never go back to 8 mm the only people that have to use that are ones with concept 02 gas’s systems as the flow rate from 6 mm will not trigger the boiler so Ime told 

I have the stainless electric grippa reel, I did a fair bit of research and went with the grippa with a pure freedom swivel and had it mounted on top of my tank, it frees up space on the floor which is very handy.

I was put off both the power up and the pure freedom reel because of the chain drive, they can slip and it’s another thing to maintain, the grippa is chainless, so it’s one less thing to worry about, they also did a decent discount at the cleaning show last year. 

I have the stainless electric grippa reel, I did a fair bit of research and went with the grippa with a pure freedom swivel and had it mounted on top of my tank, it frees up space on the floor which is very handy.

I was put off both the power up and the pure freedom reel because of the chain drive, they can slip and it’s another thing to maintain, the grippa is chainless, so it’s one less thing to worry about, they also did a decent discount at the cleaning show last year. 

The Grippatank stainless is around £900 isn’t it ?. Have you had any problems with it many seam to have done ??? I don’t mind spending that amount we need two reels so best part of 2 k but Ime not prepared to spend that and have problems , I do like the look of the power up but will Waite until September to see what the new version is that they are doing .

The Grippatank stainless is around £900 isn’t it ?. Have you had any problems with it many seam to have done ??? I don’t mind spending that amount we need two reels so best part of 2 k but Ime not prepared to spend that and have problems , I do like the look of the power up but will Waite until September to see what the new version is that they are doing .

No problems at all, been perfect since it was fitted.

It is around £900 depending on options, not cheap but it’s built like a tank and I’m expecting mine to last longer than me! 

Any update on the reel yet ?? 
Hey Paul,

its sat on my dinning room chair atm. Im was waiting for a couple of bits, just got my pro26 fittings from Gardiner 

But annoyingly there weren’t any self tapping screws in the box, I emailed them but they didn’t reply. So went to screw fix yesterday to get some with big washer plates. 

But I can’t find any 2.5mm 2 core flex anywhere. It doesn’t come with a lot, I went to screw fix & tool station both don’t stock it. Then rang a local electrical supplier and they said “no mate, wouldn’t have anything like that, why on earth do you need that!?” His actual words.

A mate of mine today said I can use 3 core cable, I didn’t know that but makes sense so will probably do that.

long story short- fitting it Saturday ?

Hey Paul,

its sat on my dinning room chair atm. Im was waiting for a couple of bits, just got my pro26 fittings from Gardiner 

But annoyingly there weren’t any self tapping screws in the box, I emailed them but they didn’t reply. So went to screw fix yesterday to get some with big washer plates. 

But I can’t find any 2.5mm 2 core flex anywhere. It doesn’t come with a lot, I went to screw fix & tool station both don’t stock it. Then rang a local electrical supplier and they said “no mate, wouldn’t have anything like that, why on earth do you need that!?” His actual words.

A mate of mine today said I can use 3 core cable, I didn’t know that but makes sense so will probably do that.

long story short- fitting it Saturday ?

Ah ok 2.5 mm cable is common don’t understand that ?.. a friend of mine is a marine electrician so anything like that I get from him . Ime assuming the rectus 26 is to connect the supply to the reel ?? Is this what they recommend or can you use other fittings ???  . Ime seriously liking the look of theses reels and if I hear any more favourable posts about them I think I will order one and if I like it will then get a second one . Do they now come standard with the over run stop fitted ??? Let us know what you think to it when it’s up and running ?

Ah ok 2.5 mm cable is common don’t understand that ?.. a friend of mine is a marine electrician so anything like that I get from him . Ime assuming the rectus 26 is to connect the supply to the reel ?? Is this what they recommend or can you use other fittings ???  . Ime seriously liking the look of theses reels and if I hear any more favourable posts about them I think I will order one and if I like it will then get a second one . Do they now come standard with the over run stop fitted ??? Let us know what you think to it when it’s up and running ?
Yep over run/spin as standard.

Has normal barb in the centre of reel to connect micro bite, they provide a jubilee clip but @P4dstar  persuaded me to try the pro26. 

Have to admit its a solid well made unit. I’m sure it’ll work fine once it’s fitted and I’ll be saying “why didn’t I get this last year” 

Also it’s 2.5mm 2core Flex. The flex part seems to be the difficult part. But maybe not essential 

Yep over run/spin as standard.

Has normal barb in the centre of reel to connect micro bite, they provide a jubilee clip but @P4dstar  persuaded me to try the pro26. 

Have to admit its a solid well made unit. I’m sure it’ll work fine once it’s fitted and I’ll be saying “why didn’t I get this last year” 

Also it’s 2.5mm 2core Flex. The flex part seems to be the difficult part. But maybe not essential 
Just use conduit cable, automotive cable or artic flex. Like you say 3 core is more common so anything that’s 2.5mm or MORE. If you have some industrial rust inhibitor spray I’d highly recommend spraying that on all the nuts, bolts, chain - anything really. I’ve seen some rusty looking proloc reels in my time and mine are all as shiny as the day I brought them.

Just use conduit cable, automotive cable or artic flex. Like you say 3 core is more common so anything that’s 2.5mm or MORE. If you have some industrial rust inhibitor spray I’d highly recommend spraying that on all the nuts, bolts, chain - anything really. I’ve seen some rusty looking proloc reels in my time and mine are all as shiny as the day I brought them.
Ok I’ll get some of that spray thanks man! 

Latest Posts

Back