Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric reels recommendations

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yep over run/spin as standard.

Has normal barb in the centre of reel to connect micro bite, they provide a jubilee clip but @P4dstar  persuaded me to try the pro26. 

Have to admit its a solid well made unit. I’m sure it’ll work fine once it’s fitted and I’ll be saying “why didn’t I get this last year” 
Happy to accept full responsibility for this, Pro26 fittings are great.

2.5mm 2 core flex is readily available on eBay. 

Id also check out the wiring join in the junction box, I had problems with a loose connection and the wiring was bit of a mess. Although mine was secondhand so might have been bodged by someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.5mm 2 core flex is readily available on eBay. 

Id also check out the wiring join in the junction box, I had problems with a loose connection and the wiring was bit of a mess. Although mine was secondhand so might have been bodged by someone else.
That’s where I had issue’s with mine, same with someone else’s. Every one I’ve had I’ve re-wired and made sure every connection is tight and secure - even the switch.

Fitted the reel yesterday. I’m pleased with it. Took ages to fit. A few fiddly bits had a mate help. But solid as a rock!

Had to take a few metres off my hose though as it was rubbing. So got about 93 metres of micro on there now. We managed to just squeeze on the micro bore onto the barb in the middle, why do the put a 8mm barb on? Surely there should be a choice 

Someone was saying I think it was on hear that the swivel connection leaked badly we use hot water , and that will find the slightest leak , every reel I have looked at seams to have issues , I have got the red ash 460 hand wind reels now nearly 5 years old never had so much as a drip from them still working faultlessly and only cost £150 each  , I want to go electric but want to make sure that I buy the right reels the top end ones are around 1k each that’s a lot of money to then find you have made a mistake ????
Hi like the idea that you don't get drip from your hand reel. iam relatively new,the swivel on my reel leaked so I bought anewun, but that still leaks a bit.ive seen other hose atacchments on peoples fixed inside reels that look somehow sturdeyer tan mine the hose fitting looks crimped,unlike my hoselock type.My reel can be used in, or out as its connected to my tank buy long hose.I haven't fitted van ports yet.can you throw any light please.

Hi like the idea that you don't get drip from your hand reel. iam relatively new,the swivel on my reel leaked so I bought anewun, but that still leaks a bit.ive seen other hose atacchments on peoples fixed inside reels that look somehow sturdeyer tan mine the hose fitting looks crimped,unlike my hoselock type.My reel can be used in, or out as its connected to my tank buy long hose.I haven't fitted van ports yet.can you throw any light please.

Not sure what the fitting attached to the reel is called , they came with the reels when bought new ,maybe @spruce will know , but as I said they are nearly 5 years old and never had so much as a drip from either and they get some serious use always with very hot water , and that will find the slightest leak , they have never been serviced either 

7AD32D31-F80F-4572-BB73-DEF1DA43F352.jpeg

036E28E0-F97D-43C0-B274-52D0B7C2D4D4.jpeg

Not sure what the fitting attached to the reel is called , they came with the reels when bought new ,maybe @spruce will know , but as I said they are nearly 5 years old and never had so much as a drip from either and they get some serious use always with very hot water , and that will find the slightest leak , they have never been serviced either 

View attachment 16740

View attachment 16741

Its called a hose reel connector swivel. The Americans seem to have a number of sources for these, but the only ones that are freely available for us in the British market are these;

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/hozelock-type-brass-hose-reel-fitting-swivel-elbow.html

Some cleaners complain about these. When I kitted my son's van out I bought 2, one as a spare. The original is about 10 years old. His reel doesn't get used every day but when it is used it doesn't leak at all.

well the D.I.Y reel i made a few years ago for 50 quid of parts gets used everyday and works perfectly well

so i wouldnt spend 600-800 quid on one 

Its called a hose reel connector swivel. The Americans seem to have a number of sources for these, but the only ones that are freely available for us in the British market are these;

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pump-hose/hose-fittings-adapters/garden-hose-couplings/hozelock-type-brass-hose-reel-fitting-swivel-elbow.html

Some cleaners complain about these. When I kitted my son's van out I bought 2, one as a spare. The original is about 10 years old. His reel doesn't get used every day but when it is used it doesn't leak at all.

I feel I may have spoken to you 12 or18 mths ago about this when I changed mine,because this is a dead ringer for the one I have now and changed.Alass though the new one leaks abit.As the reel I have is not permenatly fixed to the floor or whatever,when I take out the reel to use outside the attached hose sometimes seems to put a sideways forse on the swivel then   it leaks,also the hose puts a sideways force sometimes in the van making a puddle,i can mop it up no prob,arange the hose a bit better and with luck it will not leak,untillThe Next Time! Jigaling definatly not to be encouraged.What about the one on your reel pleaseThanks for your help

I feel I may have spoken to you 12 or18 mths ago about this when I changed mine,because this is a dead ringer for the one I have now and changed.Alass though the new one leaks abit.As the reel I have is not permenatly fixed to the floor or whatever,when I take out the reel to use outside the attached hose sometimes seems to put a sideways forse on the swivel then   it leaks,also the hose puts a sideways force sometimes in the van making a puddle,i can mop it up no prob,arange the hose a bit better and with luck it will not leak,untillThe Next Time! Jigaling definatly not to be encouraged.What about the one on your reel pleaseThanks for your help

The one we purchased are the ones Gardiners have on their site. In fact we purchased them from Gardiners.

There is another cleaner who ordered a couple of swivels directly from Sealey

https://assets.sealeyb2b.co.uk/PDFs/Parts/GH80_V2_P.PDF

He had to phone them and ask for the part GH80 -V2 01. They call it a valve assembly. You will need to find a way to modify it to fit your hose reel as the Sealey reel has a female thread.

ABB0655E-8952-45DE-8F1C-B681AD547286.JPG

They are called banjo connectors I believe.

The Gardiner ones, have done me well.

Noticed one was dripping the other day so got two new ones delivered, but they have done 8 years work.

The electric reels seem to come with the fancier looking ones, I'm not sure why they should need them as the reel doesn't get turns any more than a manual reel. Just a way to justify the price i imagine

The one we purchased are the ones Gardiners have on their site. In fact we purchased them from Gardiners.

He had to phone them and ask for the part GH80 -V2 01. They call it a valve assembly. You will need to find a way to modify it to fit your hose reel as the Sealey reel has a female thread.

View attachment 16742
Ibelive I orderd mine from gardiner also.Do you think the one pictured above would leak less.thanks so much for help on this.

Ibelive I orderd mine from gardiner also.Do you think the one pictured above would leak less.thanks so much for help on this.

I honestly don't know. It just looks better made IMHO.

I see that the suppliers of electric reels don't always sell the swivel that is fitted to their reels as a spare part.

I'm thinking of the Prolok and Purefreedom swivel.

I had that connector on my grippa tank reel for the whole time I owned it (about 5yrs) never leaked until a couple of months ago. Then bought my new reel later anyway. 

View attachment 16742

These are also available from Waterworks Window Cleaning. https://waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk

Not on the website so call and ask. 

Where your thumb is in this picture above is a retaining clip. Remove this to dismantle the assembly. Inside are two rubber O rings. One of these has most likely perished and needs  replacement. Jordan on the link above can supply them or most likely any local hardware store. 

Once replaced that should be problem solved. 

We have a leaky connector at present on one of our reels so just waiting for the rings to arrive then will do a quick video on it. 

These are also available from Waterworks Window Cleaning. https://waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk

Not on the website so call and ask. 

Where your thumb is in this picture above is a retaining clip. Remove this to dismantle the assembly. Inside are two rubber O rings. One of these has most likely perished and needs  replacement. Jordan on the link above can supply them or most likely any local hardware store. 

Once replaced that should be problem solved. 

We have a leaky connector at present on one of our reels so just waiting for the rings to arrive then will do a quick video on it. 

Thanks for the info on this. Its good to know. Someone asked WCW about a swivel replacement and they were told it wasn't available as a spare.

I went to see Jordan, Nikki and Matty at Waterworks, am so chuffed I did,  absolute diamond bloke,  had a tour around his workshop and a great laugh with them all, I obviously saw the reels in action and the build of them, and all my questions were answered, Try before you buy! That I did and ended up buying 3 electric reels and guides, I personally can’t see how much can go wrong with them, even if the chain does fall off it is a quick fix, I love the simplicity of the electric reel, perfect for me, and I got them for a steal! 

Back