Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Electric vehicle depreciation

WCF

Help Support WCF:

There's not enough safety around them.The battery only has to be dented and they can explode. This guy highlights a lot of safety issues with them -

This is actually not good for Ferries and the Euro Tunnel. I don't think if I was incharge then I wouldn't want any electric cars on my Ferry or Train incase one goes on fire.
Most courier companies won't transport lipo batteries as they believe they are just too dangerous!
These events are going to make transport companies very wary about moving vehicles and batteries from country to country. I bet the insurance premiums for transporting EV's is going to rocket.
The Gov should be pushing like mad to get battery production factories built in the UK.

While petrol is dangerous we have lived with it's use for many many decades and ways to transport, store and use it have improved safety wise. Battery tech is a long way behind - even though they think they have safety under control.
Watched a youtube vid recently on VW ID3 that had been crashed and even though it was only body work (non structural) as the air bags went off it blew the main battery fuse as a protection measure. To replace the fuse needs the entire battery pack removed and then opened!!!! Nice and safe with 400v DC kicking about in there!

Remember the Boeing Dreamliner batteries going on fire. Turned out the batteries were made from lithium phosphate instead of ion. They had to go back to lithium ion batteries. Might get to the stage that the batteries need to be encased in something non flammable. This would make the cars heavier and more expensive. I believe electric cars will go the same way as the 1980's when the US scrapped them all.

I am very surprised that Gov's didn't push Hydrogen as that way they its easy to control taxation. It's not like it's easy to create hydrogen at home but solar panels are easy although not cheap.
Batteries are great for some things but I'm not that convinced they are the best solutions for replacing combustion engines.

Dont know if its the same for EV batteries but lithium battery casing only needs to be pierced and air ignites them.

This guy puts a screw in a vape lithium battery..

I did it once on an old mobile phone battery to see if it did happen. Instantly went up after puncturing it with a screw driver.

Have you ever shorted a lead acid starter/leisure battery? They will generate enough heat to set fire to stuff. Admittedly they are usually easier fires to put out.
If you short out 'normally' nicad rechargeable batteries even just AA ones they can start fires.

Lithium is dangerous as it burns very hot, over 2000 deg C, so it's very difficult to put out. Plus pouring water on a lithium fire can cause hydrogen to be generated and that can explode!
While car manufacturers put lots of safety systems in their battery packs they are never going to be 100% safe, in the same way as a petrol cars aren't 100% safe!

Bottom line is Gov have decided they wont allow petrol or diesel cars to be sold after 2030, so we either go back to horses and carts or, until something better comes along, use battery powered vehicles. They will get better but I wouldn't bet on them becoming cheaper!

Have you ever shorted a lead acid starter/leisure battery? They will generate enough heat to set fire to stuff. Admittedly they are usually easier fires to put out.
If you short out 'normally' nicad rechargeable batteries even just AA ones they can start fires.

Lithium is dangerous as it burns very hot, over 2000 deg C, so it's very difficult to put out. Plus pouring water on a lithium fire can cause hydrogen to be generated and that can explode!
While car manufacturers put lots of safety systems in their battery packs they are never going to be 100% safe, in the same way as a petrol cars aren't 100% safe!

Bottom line is Gov have decided they wont allow petrol or diesel cars to be sold after 2030, so we either go back to horses and carts or, until something better comes along, use battery powered vehicles. They will get better but I wouldn't bet on them becoming cheaper!
Petrol and diesel cars can be sold after 2030 its just the manufacture of new ones that won’t be allowed, but I think this might be delayed anyway as there won’t be enough infrastructure in place to charge them and sales are dropping off rapidly for electric cars at the moment

I can see them backtracking because they are ballsing things right up, pishing about big British companies like Rolls Royce who are far ahead of others with their small nuclear reactors than anyone else then they start inviting foreign companies to see if they can save money after giving Rolls Royce £2million and then going back on a deal when they should have had a further £2 million for these reactors to really make a push to getting them operational ASAP

then Centrica who are so far through improving a storage facility for hydrogen to mix with gas to heat our homes then Grant Shapps turns around and says hydrogen isn't a viable alternative, just how are they going to power all these electric cars which need charging and heat homes with this insane plan of heat pumps when we were potentially going to have blackouts last winter, we have limited energy security in the UK we aren't heading in the right direction right now to reach any green targets the Gov has promised.

I can see them backtracking because they are ballsing things right up, pishing about big British companies like Rolls Royce who are far ahead of others with their small nuclear reactors than anyone else then they start inviting foreign companies to see if they can save money after giving Rolls Royce £2million and then going back on a deal when they should have had a further £2 million for these reactors to really make a push to getting them operational ASAP

then Centrica who are so far through improving a storage facility for hydrogen to mix with gas to heat our homes then Grant Shapps turns around and says hydrogen isn't a viable alternative, just how are they going to power all these electric cars which need charging and heat homes with this insane plan of heat pumps when we were potentially going to have blackouts last winter, we have limited energy security in the UK we aren't heading in the right direction right now to reach any green targets the Gov has promised.
It's utter madness not to select Rolls Royce to built the SNRs. UK jobs plus secure UK made power generation not to mention the export possibilities. RR have been building small nuclear reactors for decades, I just hope they are 'putting it out to tender' as they are required to do but I'm not sure as I have been at the wrong end of gov controlled tenders.

Back