Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

For those that use Gardiner swivel

WCF

Help Support WCF:

We do manufacture clamps like this for an overseas company that we make poles for. They do work, but we have found in long term testing the locating part tends to be the weak point and can break off. I might have some kicking around somewhere.
Thanks Alex. Perhaps on a next evolutionary development if you do one the locating part could be made wider and shallower like a half moon. That should be very robust and also very good for self locating.

Thanks again. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi PJJ - I cannot imagine you being heavy handed!

This part should last longer than 3 months whichever brush it is used with  - if you click on this link it will open up our warranty form to get the process of replacements started.

https://gardinerpolesystems.typeform.com/to/y4oVnS
Thanks Alex , as always excellent customer service ?? 

This post wasn’t trying to get a replacement it was seeing if others had had the same thing happen or if my experience was unique to me ???

Yeah it would be nice to be able to order a swivel option online

I didn't know it was even possible to order gardiners stuff by phone?

I found a phone number but nobody answers it.  not unusual these days though,  It's just a curse of the 21st century.

I had to phone an ambulance 999 for someone last week- it was engaged!!!

Maybe a hot water issue causing the fail?  I find when I use hot water my normal JG fittings fail a lot.  I've been using cold all summer n everything is not falling apart.

Yeah it would be nice to be able to order a swivel option online

I didn't know it was even possible to order gardiners stuff by phone?

I found a phone number but nobody answers it.  not unusual these days though,  It's just a curse of the 21st century.

I had to phone an ambulance 999 for someone last week- it was engaged!!!
Hi Daft

Any of our goods can be ordered over the phone - email your name & telephone number to [email protected] requesting a call back to place an order and one of the team will call you back and talk you through your order placement.

Cheers Alex, can you do specific times as I never seem get to the phone in time when I'm working.
On your phone call request email you can put something like "could someone ring me at 3.30 today" and the team will try and fit in with that. It is best to email such a request early in the day as this will give them the best chance to achieve your time.

You could also put that you are not quick to answer your phone - this will mean that they will keep trying you for longer - generally the team will not try ringing you just once but at least two times.

We've been running this call-back system now for about 3 years and it generally works very well for clients.

Same as part timer, ours have never failed. One is a year old the other, probably 2+. How tight do you have them?
I don't have mine particularly tight however when it arrived (and even now when flicking the bristles) I have noticed that it tightens up when the head moves to the left putting pretty substantial strain on the centre part of the swivel hinge.

Hi PJJ - I cannot imagine you being heavy handed!

This part should last longer than 3 months whichever brush it is used with  - if you click on this link it will open up our warranty form to get the process of replacements started.

https://gardinerpolesystems.typeform.com/to/y4oVnS
Hi @Alex Gardiner

As above when i got mine it has always got very tight on the left side - i took it apart and can't see a threaded hole in the middle part just a plain hole which leads me to believe that the upper and lower part of the swivel (or top and bottom) have a slight gradient inside making it tighter to turn to the left and looser to the right. This would explain the strain put on the middle part causing it to break.

I noticed it as soon as i got it out of the delivery packaging. I never bothered saying anything until now as i didn't even know that breaking was a problem but having now seen this thread I am convinced that mine will also go the same way eventually - but i'm not a very busy windy so it will last longer than 3 months. I can make you a video of my swivels tightness if that helps?

Not strictly on topic but if you keep on having to tighten your clamps try checking the small spring in the clamp. I've been having to tighten section #1 a lot the last week. Today it totally came apart. The spring had broken and had split metal cylinder. A quick on the job change of shim, spring and cylinder and it was like new again.

I don't have mine particularly tight however when it arrived (and even now when flicking the bristles) I have noticed that it tightens up when the head moves to the left putting pretty substantial strain on the centre part of the swivel hinge.

Hi @Alex Gardiner

As above when i got mine it has always got very tight on the left side - i took it apart and can't see a threaded hole in the middle part just a plain hole which leads me to believe that the upper and lower part of the swivel (or top and bottom) have a slight gradient inside making it tighter to turn to the left and looser to the right. This would explain the strain put on the middle part causing it to break.

I noticed it as soon as i got it out of the delivery packaging. I never bothered saying anything until now as i didn't even know that breaking was a problem but having now seen this thread I am convinced that mine will also go the same way eventually - but i'm not a very busy windy so it will last longer than 3 months. I can make you a video of my swivels tightness if that helps?
Hi Tango

This is the first I have ever heard of the swivels being tighter to one side than the other so I went and checked some from our stock.

The ones I checked had even freedom of movement both to the left and the right - there was also no taper or gradient present on the part moulding.

Perhaps your swivel has worn slightly in use - most of us work with the pole to one side of the body or another meaning that the swivel will be subjected to uneven wear pressure in use - this may have worn a slight taper or gradient on to your swivel part?

The good news is that it would appear that PJJ's breakage problems are limited in nature as no one else has reported such premature breakages of this part in recent times.

Perhaps your swivel has worn slightly in use - most of us work with the pole to one side of the body or another meaning that the swivel will be subjected to uneven wear pressure in use - this may have worn a slight taper or gradient on to your swivel part?
As I said, mine was like it from the moment i got it out of the package that was delivered - before actually using it. Although it does work when i'm out, i can't help but think it will put wear on it.

As I said, mine was like it from the moment i got it out of the package that was delivered - before actually using it. Although it does work when i'm out, i can't help but think it will put wear on it.
Hi Tango

Unusual and not noted previously. Could you send me a PM with your order number and I can look at getting a replacement sent to you so that I can have your item back to examine?

Alex

Well done @ched999uk. This is a good way to reduce waste and help things evolve which helps us all. Ahem! You can make that two who agree with you. ?

While we're on this discussion about details, I'd still like to see a way of lining up the pole clamps without having to look at them incorporated into the next evolution of the poles. A half moon cut-out on the bottom of each clamp and a corresponding rounded spur on the top of the clamp bellow it, I reckon... Collapse each section, give it a slight back and forward twist and it would drop into position perfectly in line. Sorry to hijack your thread. ?
I too would like to order new poles with the swivel option. I have several new fixed necks in the van that I'll never use from previous purchases.

And yes to your second point too. It would stop the sections spinning when collapsed

Back