Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fort transit custom

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I will be ordering the facelift.  Now comes with an automatic option for just a couple of grand more. 

Got  a couple of friends down south that drive transit customs (A plumber and a roofer) both said next time they're getting the auto. 

Gonna order in Sept once holidays and summer is out the way. 

I will be ordering the facelift.  Now comes with an automatic option for just a couple of grand more. 

Got  a couple of friends down south that drive transit customs (A plumber and a roofer) both said next time they're getting the auto. 

Gonna order in Sept once holidays and summer is out the way. 
Will you be transferring your old system out of your old van?

I’m i now two minds whether to have two vans or a two man system in one van, I know working separately is more profitable, but have my son for the odd flat roof garage etc really benefits me plus I personally prefer the company lol.

I’m i now two minds whether to have two vans or a two man system in one van, I know working separately is more profitable, but have my son for the odd flat roof garage etc really benefits me plus I personally prefer the company lol.
Of all the true 'players' I know (lads that run 5 vans plus not just sit on a keyboard claiming 20 employees but actually doing it)  all of them have gone for one man to a van.  

The profit isn't a marginal difference it's 100% different. 

Say you decide (for tax reasons) your 'wage' is £80 per day.  Van does £300 in a day after a bit of fuel your wage etc let's say cost is £120 per day you got £180 in profit. 

Put a 2 man setup in a van and you can only add maybee £50 more work in a day as you can only drive so far so fast.  So for your two man van the profit is now £230 per day...... oh wait forgot his wage at ,£80 per day so profit only £150...... my bad. 

With him doing same in separate van profits are £360 for the day. 

Best way to make money on domestic windows is 1 man per van.  If it wasn't why would all the top ',players' only have 1 man to a van? 

Of all the true 'players' I know (lads that run 5 vans plus not just sit on a keyboard claiming 20 employees but actually doing it)  all of them have gone for one man to a van.  

The profit isn't a marginal difference it's 100% different. 

Say you decide (for tax reasons) your 'wage' is £80 per day.  Van does £300 in a day after a bit of fuel your wage etc let's say cost is £120 per day you got £180 in profit. 

Put a 2 man setup in a van and you can only add maybee £50 more work in a day as you can only drive so far so fast.  So for your two man van the profit is now £230 per day...... oh wait forgot his wage at ,£80 per day so profit only £150...... my bad. 

With him doing same in separate van profits are £360 for the day. 

Best way to make money on domestic windows is 1 man per van.  If it wasn't why would all the top ',players' only have 1 man to a van? 
It depends on the work you have also. When I’ve worked in a two on my round out of one van we almost doubled our takings for the day. If you spend more time driving than cleaning then your basically paying someone for company and will make your figures correct Green pro.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

There is no way 2 men in a van can 'double' the take. Just not happening.  

Perfect Windows, JRH, Pryors and many more all have done the math and all chose to put 1 man in a van.  These are all firms with £1m plus turnover. 

If they thought for a second that 2 men to a van could double the take then do you not think they would?    

Sorry Dave but in this instance I am going to follow the model of people that are running successful operations in the high six and seven figure markets and stick to one man in a van.  

Only exception to this is training periods.  

There is no way 2 men in a van can 'double' the take. Just not happening.  

Perfect Windows, JRH, Pryors and many more all have done the math and all chose to put 1 man in a van.  These are all firms with £1m plus turnover. 

If they thought for a second that 2 men to a van could double the take then do you not think they would?    

Sorry Dave but in this instance I am going to follow the model of people that are running successful operations in the high six and seven figure markets and stick to one man in a van.  

Only exception to this is training periods.  

Obviously they must do a lot of driving also which is becoming the norm these days. Like I said, you have to have the right work to do this. You’ll never be able canvass or build that sort of work from scratch in this day and age and is only achievable on work where your van only moves a few times in a day. I always worked as a two when I was an employee and although we never used the exactly double our takings we weren’t far off.

I honestly understand the one man in the van thing, but some days two of us can only do a hand full of houses as they are so big, also I have days that we have 12 out of 20 houses in cul de sacs I would say our work in general very group together or compact so a fair bit of time I'm cleaning one house while my son is cleaning another.

I knew there was a difference in earning but sitting here thinking what you have said Darren is as clear as day with regarding maximum profit. 

Just got to decide do I want keep growing or just both plod along together earning a decent living. 

True you don’t earn twice as much, but it’s nice having someone working with you.

Making money out of them and a bit of company.

Pub time. Have a good weekend fellow windies

2 employees working together will natter like fish wives all day and get a lot less done.

County Durham Lad

In my experience that’s far from the truth apart from when we are in the cab between jobs might have a natter then, have work together for the last couple of years. 

Then again im not a employee ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also depends how they get paid. On an hourly rate even a single operator will take their time chatting with custys and dawdling about. Put em on price work and it’s a different story. Only problem then is they may compromise quality for quantity to either earn extra cash or get home early.

In my experience that’s far from the truth apart from when we are in the cab between jobs might have a natter then, have work together for the last couple of years. 

Then again im not a employee [emoji3]
Two employees are totally a different to a father and son team who is have a passion for the business.

County Durham Lad

Going off greens forecast of £200 profit per week off 1 employee there’s no reason why you can’t take a lad with you in your van and get him to cover his wage and expenses plus another £200 for you. If not your really going wrong somewhere imo. Maybe trying to have 2,3 or 4 lads out the same van then maybe.

Going off greens forecast of £200 profit per week off 1 employee there’s no reason why you can’t take a lad with you in your van and get him to cover his wage and expenses plus another £200 for you. If not your really going wrong somewhere imo. Maybe trying to have 2,3 or 4 lads out the same van then maybe.

I know that’s true as that’s what I do ?

I'm new to this so excuse the ignorance. 

If you have a round that is big enough in a condensed area then why would one man per van be more beneficial than two man per van.

No doubt the numbers stack up when the rounds are in different areas but for example.

Your round consists of work in a 3 mile radius.

2 of you do the work, one front one back. Or one tops whilst the other does bottoms. In theory you get the work done in half the time (as long as both are at a high standard of training). 

With this example you pay 

1 x van insurance

1 x fuel for the day

1 x van payments finance 

1 x van setup

YES both of you are on downtime when traveling but if the distance is not that great then downtime is at a minimum. To the extent that I cannot see how you would benefit from paying for 2 x the above list to get the same work done maybe slightly quicker. 

But yes I understand if you want to go the route of pro green clean. If you have work in different towns and expand the business then it does not add up to have two people in one van as the travel time would eat away at the profits.  

Latest Posts

Back