Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiners taking on Univalve?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

That’s true Den I did. To use it with a swivel though, I had to operate the valve a little differently to Alex’s guide. I found the only way to operate it at height was to rest the brush on the window ledge before twisting the pole. It did work but required some pressure on the pole to prevent it flipping over. However, I found this placed unnatural stress on the pole at the joints and I broke a pole after just two month use. So I discarded it and went back to the Univalve. For me it was far more versatile than the Gooseneck valve. So expensive lesson learned.

I obviously can’t comment on the new version as I haven’t tried one. I would like to though because I liked the way it worked.

I had the version 1 myself and when I first got it I loved it, you could twist on in the top corner of the window and twist off in the bottom corner meaning very little water waste. Unfortunately mine only lasted 2 months before it stopped turning off properly so I bought a univalve instead. The only other slight issue I had with it was I sometimes found it tricky to turn it on when doing the awkward windows above conservatories extensions etc as it was difficult with the angle to twist.

That being said, I wouldn’t give up on it and if version 2 was much improved it would make a great bit of kit. I currently operate with a swivel gooseneck, universal brush and over the top rinse bar. So if this worked with that set up, I could pop the brush on the frame in the top corner, twist the gooseneck to turn it on, work my way to the bottom corner of the sill and twist off. All without taking my brush off the window ??

You can see it in this image, the smart clamps are not sitting straight on section 1.

Be a pain if your sections are worn...

F144A518-9749-45E6-84D1-C928DB0875D3.jpeg

I can’t see it challenging the univalve. 

I have 2 of the originals still with no issues 

personally I can't see this challenging the uni valve either, I did try peters valve a long while ago and found it awkward to use it didn't stay on the pole long enough to cause issues though ,the univalve is brilliant just put your foot over the hose and push up the pole an inch or so and its off so simple to operate, i use carbon goosenecks so see no reason at all to go back to the plastic gooseneck that these would only work on,its a step backwards for many potential users and while it is quite reasonably priced I could well lose that amount every day by it slowing me down by either weight or operation,

this is just my opinion of course but I can only see that valve causing further issues on the pole sections themselves given the pivoting action they receive daily and now rotational action too I can see poles wearing out so so quickly it would be cheaper not to buy one

Just got one of these on my new pole. First day out with it today. Always used univalves for years but thought I’d give it a go. First impressions wasn’t great but once I realised you can tighten the grip of the clamp on valve it seems a lot more usable. Proof is in the pudding so we will see. I can’t see gardeners supplying and fitting something to their poles that are going to prematurely damage them though. After reading their extensive maintanence and warranty issues with their extreme pole range I think they are keen on with their views on the matter and sure hope that the warranty’s work both ways. If they do cause premature damage by a product fitted by them I will be expecting a new pole in the post. 

Just got one of these on my new pole. First day out with it today. Always used univalves for years but thought I’d give it a go. First impressions wasn’t great but once I realised you can tighten the grip of the clamp on valve it seems a lot more usable. Proof is in the pudding so we will see. I can’t see gardeners supplying and fitting something to their poles that are going to prematurely damage them though. After reading their extensive maintanence and warranty issues with their extreme pole range I think they are keen on with their views on the matter and sure hope that the warranty’s work both ways. If they do cause premature damage by a product fitted by them I will be expecting a new pole in the post. 

Hi Cleanco

When using these it is important to get the #1 clamp on the pole tight enough so that it holds the Gooseneck Valve very firmly - then you can adjust the tension on the Gooseneck Valve adjuster so that it operates with the desired tension - usually it is best to start with the goosenck valve on a loose tension and tighten little by little if needed.

The only reason that this would cause premature wear on a pole is if the clamps on the pole were not correctly adjusted and kept tight enough. If in use you feel any section start to spin when using the Gooseneck Valve then take a moment to tighten up the pole clamps as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally I can't see this challenging the uni valve either, I did try peters valve a long while ago and found it awkward to use it didn't stay on the pole long enough to cause issues though ,the univalve is brilliant just put your foot over the hose and push up the pole an inch or so and its off so simple to operate, i use carbon goosenecks so see no reason at all to go back to the plastic gooseneck that these would only work on,its a step backwards for many potential users and while it is quite reasonably priced I could well lose that amount every day by it slowing me down by either weight or operation,

this is just my opinion of course but I can only see that valve causing further issues on the pole sections themselves given the pivoting action they receive daily and now rotational action too I can see poles wearing out so so quickly it would be cheaper not to buy one

Nor can I tbh. If Alex's new valve has the ability to also reduce flow rate like we could with the Aquadapter, then it has an advantage there as the Univalve is either on or off.

However, we seem to have numerous conservatories which we can only clean by poling from the 'front', as the gap between the neighbour's conservatory and the one we are cleaning is too narrow. I can see an issue trying to scrub the sills on one side as pressure on the brush head will rotate the valve to the off position.

Nor can I tbh. If Alex's new valve has the ability to also reduce flow rate like we could with the Aquadapter, then it has an advantage there as the Univalve is either on or off.

However, we seem to have numerous conservatories which we can only clean by poling from the 'front', as the gap between the neighbour's conservatory and the one we are cleaning is too narrow. I can see an issue trying to scrub the sills on one side as pressure on the brush head will rotate the valve to the off position.
My take on it is on big, high commercial work I do, where the windows are straight in front of you. If my pole is 40'+ in the air and I have to then move 10' to the next window I've found turning a univalve off to be slow and dangerous, so therefore I don't do it and waste a lot of water, I use brushes with 4 jets. Hopefully with this method it is relatively quick, simple and safe. 

Quick update after half a days use. It’s a great bit of kit but like anything new it takes a while to get used to. The trick is getting the tensioner on the valve tight  enough so it doesn’t spin when you don’t want it to but slack enough so it spins when you do want it to. The higher the pole is the more awkward it becomes. Problems do arise when cleaning lower  level sills and the bottoms of patios as you have more pressure at unnatural angles which cause the valve to spin when you don’t want it too. I think it’s more about getting used to working differently. I’ll be able to give a better review after a few weeks use but up to now it’s better than I thought it would be. 

I still say squeezing the pole hose is the best method works on any pole at any height ,doesn’t cost anything nothing to break or go wrong,  kiss is a good policy, we are cleaning windows that’s all I think a lot of these new guimicks are not needed , it’s just a way for manufacturers to try and get more money out of us , weather you use a univalve or a twist type of water switch off try using it over 45 feet none work very well .

agree with the above comment,folding the hose over is something I find myself doing most of the time even though I have univalves on all but the longer poles even standing on the hose reduces flow or can even stop it 

I purchased one recently and it's a very good product.

It does what it says it does.

Very easy to fit, smooth to operate, easy to adjust the tension and you won't even notice any extra weight on the end of the pole.

I adjusted mine right up and I couldn't even turn it on or off. Which means you can adjust it, spot on; just how you want it!

I use a Univalve and find the same problems as others, pull it once, pull it twice, nothing happens, get annoyed, blah blah blah.

However the Univalve is an excellent product and in general, it works very well.

And so is this. 

For me:

This is quicker than a Univalve to turn on or off.

Far less stress on your body than a univalve, to turn on or off.

Easy to fit, but takes a bit of getting used to.

Would I recommend it?

Yes.

But, I'm not sure about it yet as i've only had it a couple of days. 

I can be a bit splash and dash and all that quick movement, horizontal and vertical can cause the gooseneck valve to turn off, especially when using a heavier brush.

However:

This is one of those rare products that can actually change the way you clean. 

It will either speed you up, more money, less body strain, blah blah blah

Or

You won't like it at all and it goes on ebay!

Verdict:

For the money it cost, I would say get one and try it. 

It is a good product, it just depends whether you like it, or not.

I purchased one recently and it's a very good product.

It does what it says it does.

Very easy to fit, smooth to operate, easy to adjust the tension and you won't even notice any extra weight on the end of the pole.

I adjusted mine right up and I couldn't even turn it on or off. Which means you can adjust it, spot on; just how you want it!

I use a Univalve and find the same problems as others, pull it once, pull it twice, nothing happens, get annoyed, blah blah blah.

However the Univalve is an excellent product and in general, it works very well.

And so is this. 

For me:

This is quicker than a Univalve to turn on or off.

Far less stress on your body than a univalve, to turn on or off.

Easy to fit, but takes a bit of getting used to.

Would I recommend it?

Yes.

I'm not sure about it yet as i've only had it a couple of days. 

I can be a bit splash and dash and all that quick movement, horizontal and vertical can cause the gooseneck valve to turn off, especially when using a heavier brush.

However:

This is one of those rare products that can actually change the way you clean. 

It will either speed you up, more money, less body strain, blah blah blah

Or

You won't like it at all and it goes on ebay!

Verdict:

For the money it cost, I would say get one and try it. 

It is a good product, it just depends whether you like it, or not.
“Stress on the body pulling a univalve”.

If using p.u hose a small tug and done. 

Been using them since they came out on all three of my poles and honestly don’t think it puts any stress on my body whatsoever 

I suffer with rather painful tennis elbow, so I guess my level of stress is different to yours. 

And you're right, the univalve just needs a small tug. The Gardiners gooseneck valve is even easier to use.

stand on the hose and pull upwards that turns a univalve off, being honest and I've had that problem if the valve is not happy with turning off or on then its the pole hose at fault having too much stretch not the univalve 

When I first used the Univalve it definitely affected my elbow. But like any repetitive activity you often get used to it and it stops hurting. It did for me anyhow. I also occasionally have problems turning it off at height. If it does I just kink the hose instead. I’m still using the original one I bought when they first came on the market.

I still say squeezing the pole hose is the best method works on any pole at any height ,doesn’t cost anything nothing to break or go wrong,  kiss is a good policy, we are cleaning windows that’s all I think a lot of these new guimicks are not needed , it’s just a way for manufacturers to try and get more money out of us , weather you use a univalve or a twist type of water switch off try using it over 45 feet none work very well .
I’ve never used any sort of valve above 45’ as they don’t work properly and are designed more towards domestic window cleaning for lower levels. Also there’s the danger element, working at 80’ is hard enough in the first place. I have noticed a massive saving in water since using valves though. In the old days we used to crimp the hose in our hands but when your doing that you can’t do anything else so it’s more of a convenience thing. I remember the early set ups with no controllers/valves/taps or anything with our on/switch being croc clips on the battery. We used go through water like no tomorrow with 500 litres not even lasting half a day. Nothing worse than relying on refilling on site. 

Latest Posts

Back