Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting Paid - How to & Options

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yeah, I hear what you are saying, mate, I would say my opinion is based on being in the game for so long and going through all the various payments options from only cash over 18 years ago up to around 8 years or so ago to offering bacs and Paypal without the newer options really taking off at any point as most people had the mindset that a window cleaner would always call back because they always have so 6 hrs plus a week doing evening cash collections really sickening me off just over 4 years ago I wanted my life back.

GoCardless was the godsend I had waited for, as once it really took off for me it meant no more cash collections at all and for years now I have been able just to come home and for me and my wife to enjoy going out for a drink or a meal or just be able to go out for a walk with the dog, big bonus for us both and got 7kg of blackberries these past 2 weeks so loads of crumble and custard after a cold day at work [emoji12]
We took worldpay method for other aspects of the business we thought it would complement not external windows.

Been paid for a few carpets and internal cleaning jobs on it

I bloody love crumble and custard

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

We took worldpay method for other aspects of the business we thought it would complement not external windows.

Been paid for a few carpets and internal cleaning jobs on it

I bloody love crumble and custard
Knock it on the head mate, assuming you didn't sign up for a contract.

A sum up card reader is £15 and if a customer wants to make a remote payment Stripe has a virtual terminal. Its really easy to access...

Click payments

Click the + button

Fill in the details

No monthly fee. 20p per transaction and 1.4%. Its actually only a few pence more than GC.

I’ve got a question about go cardless. I’ve just set it up but I’m not sure which is the best way to use it.

When you add customers to it do you sign them up to a monthly payment plan for a fixed date or is there a way of triggering the payment when you have completed the work?

I’ve got a question about go cardless. I’ve just set it up but I’m not sure which is the best way to use it.

When you add customers to it do you sign them up to a monthly payment plan for a fixed date or is there a way of triggering the payment when you have completed the work?
A payment is triggered when you send an invoice. You can use Cleaner planner, Squeegee, Quickbooks or just GoCardless itself. This way the customer knows they will only be billed when you have cleaned the windows.

On the GoCardless dashboard, select a customer from the list. Click create. From drop down menu select payment. Fill in the details (amount, date ect.) And submit. That will create a one off direct debit.

View attachment 15031
That’s great mate! Cheers.

On the GoCardless dashboard, select a customer from the list. Click create. From drop down menu select payment. Fill in the details (amount, date ect.) And submit. That will create a one off direct debit.

View attachment 15031
That’s great mate! Cheers.

Hi all,

Quick question regarding the card readers (Sumup and iZettle).

I work rurally and a couple of the villages (down in dips) don't have a mobile phone signal. Most people there rely on Whatsapp.

I was wondering - I can see that they both use your mobile phone to get a connection. What would happen if I don't have a 3G/internet connection? Would the payment go through once I manage to obtain a signal i.e. back on the main road, or would I be standing at the customers door for ages whilst the phone was trying to connect but couldn't?

TIA

Wez

Hi all,

I work rurally and a couple of the villages (down in dips) don't have a mobile phone signal. Most people there rely on Whatsapp.

I was wondering - I can see that they both use your mobile phone to get a connection. What would happen if I don't have a 3G/internet connection? Would the payment go through once I manage to obtain a signal i.e. back on the main road, or would I be standing at the customers door for ages whilst the phone was trying to connect but couldn't?

TIA

Wez

Best ask their techies on their support page for that. 

I'd imagine you would need a connection but sure those that use them will be able to enlighten us or take a look at the sites and see what it says about the connection requirements. 

You would need an internet connection. You can always ask to use the customers wifi. I have some work in a small village like you’ve described, no signal at all, using the customers WiFi is the only alternative option to tethering the card reader to your phone. As all transactions are live you need to know the customer has funds available in order to process it.

Much better to get them signed up on GoCardless in those circumstances 

I've just started doing this, I didn't realize how much faster it is! Only takes maximum of 2 days to clear. Not sure what to do with the cheques though.. Put them in my records I suppose.

You are supposed to write deposited on the back of the cheque and keep hold of them, I just have a separate envelope and keep them with my accounts, great thing banking cheques via banking app client paid 12 months in advance last week I deposited it 5 minutes later.

I refuse to accept this advanced payment as I find it demoralising turning up and not getting paid 
I try not to take money until the job is finished. The only exception is when the customer is going out.

A roofer I worked with when I first left school taught me never to take payment for work until it has been completed... With the exception of large jobs where it is acceptable to take payment in stages, but for small one day efforts. 3 reasons behind it. Firstly it builds trust with the customer. Secondly if the customer becomes an ar5ehole halfway through the job its much easier to walk. Lastly when someone pays you the job is complete in your mind, subconsciously you may not give it the same level of effort once you've been paid.

Customers do look at me funny sometimes though when I ask can I collect at the end.

@

I try not to take money until the job is finished. The only exception is when the customer is going out.

A roofer I worked with when I first left school taught me never to take payment for work until it has been completed... With the exception of large jobs where it is acceptable to take payment in stages, but for small one day efforts. 3 reasons behind it. Firstly it builds trust with the customer. Secondly if the customer becomes an ar5ehole halfway through the job its much easier to walk. Lastly when someone pays you the job is complete in your mind, subconsciously you may not give it the same level of effort once you've been paid.

Customers do look at me funny sometimes though when I ask can I collect at the end.
In this instance it's his second time of paying a year in advance, he is a retired a guy who I have known for quite a few years through his son as his son lived in the house then moved away and his dad moved in, in my mind the job ain't complete and I put in as much effort as all my other jobs and make sure the job is done as it should be the client is paying for a service that I promised to deliver and he expects no less same as any other client. 

Thank you for the advice WRT the SumUp v iZettle readers. 

If there's no difference between the two, then I'll order the SumUp when I get home on Monday.

Cheers.

Hi all,

TIA

Wez
You can get paid via whatsapp mate if you look it up 

Thank you for the advice WRT the SumUp v iZettle readers. 

If there's no difference between the two, then I'll order the SumUp when I get home on Monday.

Cheers.
SumUp takes a slightly lower %.. I mean like 0.01% less or something. I've had SumUp for ages.

If its any help the referral code below will get you a machine for £15. I've had 12 people use the code before from the site and yes they give me £10 fo every one. Before anyone jumps on me for that, I have been giving the money to charity.

http://fbuy.me/iMsxB

Latest Posts

Back