Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Going full time

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Craig smith

Hi, I am about to start window cleaning in my spare time, ie weekends, I’m just wondering the best way to transition to doing it full time when you only have weekends spare as I work full time, how many regular customers before you make the jump? Thanks

Set up a sales funnel. This needs to be simple to operate so you can milk it easily to get a steady regular flow of new enquiries /fresh work coming thru. I like posting regular FridayAd /Locanto ads but a sales funnel can be as simple as just putting out flyers /or door knocking regularly. Whats important is keeping the funnel going - regularly putting out 50 flyers week on week as you go about your day is a whole lot better than putting out 1000 and then doing nothing rest of year.

Hi, I am about to start window cleaning in my spare time, ie weekends, I’m just wondering the best way to transition to doing it full time when you only have weekends spare as I work full time, how many regular customers before you make the jump? Thanks
Personally, I think unless you're fully committed then you're going to struggle. Weekends only and working full time you're going to be knackered before you've got going.

It's your call but I cut back my hours as the business grew but at some point you have to bite the bullet and take risks. For me I just did a bit of evening part time work because it didn't interfere with the business but gave a little bit of guarantee for income going into the winter and shortly after all the covid lock down stuff.

I know other people who have either tried and failed or are trying but not quite making the jump from employment to working for yourself like you are doing. In my opinion there isn't a better motivation than having the pressure on your back to get money in to pay your bills. When you're working full time, it's too easy to sack off the effort of doing extra work for yourself because you know you've got money coming in from your job.

Half hearted effort will produce half hearted results. Just my opinion but I've seen it happen time and time again.

I started doing Saturdays, the occasional Sunday and sometimes after work in the spring and summer months.
It wasn't to bad for me I had no wife and kids to support. It got to the stage where I thought I'm just going to go full time. I had a substantial amount saved so was on a safe position.
I had an hgv license so did some temping to bolster my income where I could. I also signed up with checkatrade. This really helped pick up alot of work. I also did some subcontracting for another window cleaner. It was no way near as stressful as I thought it would be.

When I first started, I was working shift work 40 hours a week. So had the mornings/afternoons to book a few jobs in. As things started building up my plan was to reduce my shift work gradually. Unfortunately other people left so my hours started going up, not down.
In the end I had to make a choice and hand my notice in. As I couldn't maintain the bills on the customers I had I ended up cleaning in Wetherspoons 5-8 in the mornings to keep some regular income. With the onset of spring I went for it, 6 months fully self-employed.
My point is, you'll know when the time is right.

I'm the same as @Pjj - you really need to go for it pretty quickly - otherwise your just dabble - then hate it.

I personally had no choice - made redundant - less than 1k in the bank - wife + 2 kids - hit the door knockers cleaned everything I picked up and knocked again - by the end of month 3 I was earning more than full time employment
but it was hard - long hours - and you need to be determined

Latest Posts

Back