Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Grippa tank, worth the money?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

waterproof your van, strap a tank down, fit some pumps and batteries. Away you go! You're only pumping water from a tank out through a hose or two. Super simple.

Horses for courses I guess.

what are you getting for your £5k+ ?
Good Morning,

The quotations are not just for a "pump and controller" but include the on board industrial filtration system with/without booster pump which gives the ability to produce 200-300 litres of water per hour, so thus giving a rapid 2 hour fill up time. The package is crash tested and designed in partnership with Gardiners.

The specification also includes Auto Flush, Auto Shutoff, TDS Alerts, System Service Alerts, & Pump Remote Control.

Our package includes 5 years tank and frame warranty, 1 years on site warranty callout, & a lifetimes guarantee on the speedliner.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Good Morning,

The quotations are not just for a "pump and controller" but include the on board industrial filtration system with/without booster pump which gives the ability to produce 200-300 litres of water per hour, so thus giving a rapid 2 hour fill up time. The package is crash tested and designed in partnership with Gardiners.

The specification also includes Auto Flush, Auto Shutoff, TDS Alerts, System Service Alerts, & Pump Remote Control.

Our package includes 5 years tank and frame warranty, 1 years on site warranty callout, & a lifetimes guarantee on the speedliner.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Thanks.

The linked PDF's give a nice breakdown of what you get for your money.

Also sounds like your aftercare is second to none. :1f44d:

Once I get a few various quotes I'll know how to proceed.

waterproof your van, strap a tank down, fit some pumps and batteries. Away you go! You're only pumping water from a tank out through a hose or two. Super simple.

Horses for courses I guess.

I am going to get my van speedlined anyway.  Decided that 100%.   There's place near Bristol which will do it for under £400 for my van,  the decision has been made with them or Grippatank, I am doing that.

With the tank- Aviva have recorded down on my file that if my tank isn't bolted down my insurance is invalidated.  I cant bolt a tank in myself  Working out of barrels currently.   I have my DIY pump/battery.   It works but leaks a bit  and sits in a flexiub and all my stuff is disorganised all over the van.  If Grippatank or Bladeright or another professional fits it, it will all be up near the bulk head out of the way mounted on the cage.  It wont move so won't leak like my DIY stuff.   I would like an RO system and battery wired to alternator.   I can't do this!    I am currently buying my water (from a 9-5 self service machine) or using a twin DI.    

The compromise could be that I get one of these guys to fit the tank, RO, pump battery (the minimum) basic controller etc.  I don't need TDS warnings or anything flash like that, do I?   Something else, which no one has answered is, can the whole system be taken out and put into another van?    If you get a top notch system, it lasts 10 years- used in 3 vans and that money spread over that time is a good investment rather than buying cheap and cheerful. 

Going to use van for wood, hedgecutter etc  as well so the system could take a battering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this question.

The system is fully transferable so your investment is not limited to the life of your vehicle.

If the transfer required was within the warranty period, this should be done by a GrippaTank authorised engineer.

We hope this helps!

Firstly please don't think I am being negative about grippa tank I know they are very good but obviously you pay a premium that alot allot of us couldn't pay. I just want to point out the only other option isn't a diy system there are a number of very good companies out there who can supply ans fit for you at a very reasonable cost. After a number of reccomendations from local Windies and guys on here I had a cleaning warehouse system fitted including bolted into van. To date it's been excellent and the service from there mechanic when I had a query was great just phone up and he talks you through anything. 

Where do you buy your water @slippy
There are two places open now- one is behind Castlepoint- you put in your PIN and fill up (open 9-6).   There's another one near my house which is more expensive which is also 9-5. I haven't used that one yet, but it's there and I think these kinds of places will soon make it easier to buy your water for window cleaners.   If you want the address I can look it up for you?

I think because these machines are popping up and you can always twin DI it if desperate- an expensive RO system might not be worth it.   There's a communal tap outside my flats which I wanted to plug into my van and I think no one would say anything if I didn't do it every night.  I also only work 3 days a week so currently don't need lots of water.   I want an RO but don't want to pay the earth for it.    

I do lots of handyman work as well have other tools in van.  I think Grippatank have a  computer screen built into the system which worries me- do I need to pay lots of money for this- is it necessary?    And if a lump hammer for example comes flying forward from the back of van and smashes the screen, that isn't going to be great.  Wouldn't a cheap one do so when it gets smashed I can cheaply replace it.  Still want to get solidly built tank, frame, controller all well plumbed in and organised though which I cant do myself.

slippy said:
There are two places open now- one is behind Castlepoint- you put in your PIN and fill up (open 9-6).   There's another one near my house which is more expensive which is also 9-5. I haven't used that one yet, but it's there and I think these kinds of places will soon make it easier to buy your water for window cleaners.   If you want the address I can look it up for you?

I think because these machines are popping up and you can always twin DI it if desperate- an expensive RO system might not be worth it.   There's a communal tap outside my flats which I wanted to plug into my van and I think no one would say anything if I didn't do it every night.  I also only work 3 days a week so currently don't need lots of water.   I want an RO but don't want to pay the earth for it.    

I do lots of handyman work as well have other tools in van.  I think Grippatank have a  computer screen built into the system which worries me- do I need to pay lots of money for this- is it necessary?    And if a lump hammer for example comes flying forward from the back of van and smashes the screen, that isn't going to be great.  Wouldn't a cheap one do so when it gets smashed I can cheaply replace it. 

Still want to get solidly built tank, frame, controller all well plumbed in and organised though which I cant do myself.   Once I have all this I can use it for years so might be worth paying for.

With Grippatank, do we need TDS alerts, flush through (what is this by the way) and the other technical equipment?

I do lots of handyman work as well have other tools in van.  I think Grippatank have a  computer screen built into the system which worries me- do I need to pay lots of money for this- is it necessary?    And if a lump hammer for example comes flying forward from the back of van and smashes the screen, that isn't going to be great.  Wouldn't a cheap one do so when it gets smashed I can cheaply replace it.  Still want to get solidly built tank, frame, controller all well plumbed in and organised though which I cant do myself.

With Grippatank, do we need TDS alerts, flush through (what is this by the way) and the other technical equipment?
Good Morning,

Do feel free to call us on 01223 790049 and we can go through the quote with you to explain the different versions of system available.

The "System Upgrade: V3 AutoFlush with Service Alerts" on the quote uses this controller found here: https://www.grippatank.co.uk/liquid-logic-v3-vehicle-pump-ro-autoflush-system-controller.

This system controller does the following:

• Controls a WFP delivery pump with digital precision - twin user settings
  • Mulit-Line Text Display for accurate information and programming at a glance
  • Controls the filling facility for vehicle mounted RODI systems - Automatic water shut-off when tank is full
  • Auto-Flush - Flushes the RO membranes on the hour, for every hour that the system is filling. This keeps the RO membrane healthy and gives it a longer life as contaminates are removed from the membrane fibres.
  • Flow Meter - shows water production rate and total water processed for accurate filter replacement.
  • Programmable Notification alerts for filter changes.
  • Water Pressure reading - shows input water pressure. Audible alarm notification if mains water is disconnected, along with automatic shut down of booster system if mains is not reconnected.
  • Monitors and displays twin TDS readings whilst processing water. Audible alarm if TDS levels hit a preset level and require a filter or resin change. You can also program this to automatically shut down the system after a period of prolonged high TDS reading from either the RO or DI.
  • Monitors and displays output water temperature
  • Controls a frost prevention system and a hot water supply system (where fitted). At the programmed temperature, the Controller will energise the heater and pump hot water through the delivery side of the system for 10 minutes and then automatically shutoff and on as required. This prevents the system from freezing overnight.
  • Battery voltage display and low battery alerts and shutdown.
  • Radio Control Remote - Allows up 120m remote switching and control of delivery pump
The above controller is an optional recommended upgrade to the standard RODI systems quoted, hence why its an additional cost. The standard controller comes with less features as shown below:

• Controls the filling facility for vehicle mounted RODI systems - Automatic water shut-off when tank is full
  • Monitors and displays twin TDS readings whilst processing water. Audible alarm if TDS levels hit a preset level and require a filter or resin change. You can also program this to automatically shut down the system after a period of prolonged high TDS reading from either the RO or DI.
  • Controls a frost prevention system and a hot water supply system (where fitted). At the programmed temperature, the Controller will energise the heater and pump hot water through the delivery side of the system for 10 minutes and then automatically shutoff and on as required. This prevents the system from freezing overnight.
With regard to the screen display - it is impact proof, and not a "tablet" style glass screen and as yet we haven't had a customer smash a screen with a hammer :)

Good Morning,

Do feel free to call us on 01223 790049 and we can go through the quote with you to explain the different versions of system available.

The "System Upgrade: V3 AutoFlush with Service Alerts" on the quote uses this controller found here: https://www.grippatank.co.uk/liquid-logic-v3-vehicle-pump-ro-autoflush-system-controller.

This system controller does the following:

• Mulit-Line Text Display for accurate information and programming at a glance
  • Auto-Flush - Flushes the RO membranes on the hour, for every hour that the system is filling. This keeps the RO membrane healthy and gives it a longer life as contaminates are removed from the membrane fibres.
  • Flow Meter - shows water production rate and total water processed for accurate filter replacement.
  • Programmable Notification alerts for filter changes.
  • Water Pressure reading - shows input water pressure. Audible alarm notification if mains water is disconnected, along with automatic shut down of booster system if mains is not reconnected.
  • Radio Control Remote - Allows up 120m remote switching and control of delivery pump
The above controller is an optional recommended upgrade to the standard RODI systems quoted, hence why its an additional cost. The standard controller comes with less features as shown below:

With regard to the screen display - it is impact proof, and not a "tablet" style glass screen and as yet we haven't had a customer smash a screen with a hammer :)

:1f632: Gulp! Can it also send texts and make phone calls?

That's more than my van's worth and that's before the VAT is added.

:1f632: Gulp! Can it also send texts and make phone calls?

That's more than my van's worth and that's before the VAT is added.

Lol it makes me chuckle, what a way to over complicate the simple process of purifying some water and pumping it to a brush head. It does everything but clean the windows for you, now if it did that i might be interested...

You say over complicate but to most running a business time is money a system like that will save time.

Water production is fairly straight forward but how many people have been on here lately saying my TDS is rising is it my membrane or filter.When should I change my resin?didn't realise my TDS was 15 is it ok to use ,my tank is filling slowly what could it be etc,etc?

A system like that will identify any problems let you know when its time to change filters and resin before it's to late and speed up maintenance.

when going for a van mount system you will have 3 options all will do the end result the same but will appeal to different people for different reasons.

On a budget with good knowledge of a system and time on your hands then d.i.y it will be by far the cheapest option.

Don't know what your doing, don't really have the time but don't want to spend the earth go for a system by cleaning warehouse or k systems(or similar)

Money not the motivating factor in your choice and want a top quality product and service then go grippa or ionics.

What is right for some won't be for others but every one I have spoke to who spent good money on a Grippa set up never regretted their purchase.

You say over complicate but to most running a business time is money a system like that will save time.

Water production is fairly straight forward but how many people have been on here lately saying my TDS is rising is it my membrane or filter.When should I change my resin?didn't realise my TDS was 15 is it ok to use ,my tank is filling slowly what could it be etc,etc?

A system like that will identify any problems let you know when its time to change filters and resin before it's to late and speed up maintenance.

when going for a van mount system you will have 3 options all will do the end result the same but will appeal to different people for different reasons.

On a budget with good knowledge of a system and time on your hands then d.i.y it will be by far the cheapest option.

Don't know what your doing, don't really have the time but don't want to spend the earth go for a system by cleaning warehouse or k systems(or similar)

Money not the motivating factor in your choice and want a top quality product and service then go grippa or ionics.

What is right for some won't be for others but every one I have spoke to who spent good money on a Grippa set up never regretted their purchase.

I believe that when Gardiners started they target us 'minions' of the window cleaning world with quality products we could afford. But it appears the Grippa are targeting the upper section of the market that Ionics revolve in.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Grippa product or sales target policy, its just they far too expensive for me.

For example, why should I pay £400 for a smart battery charger when I can buy a Sterling BB1230 for £200.00?

Is that a like for like comparison?

The grippa smart battery charger & the Sterling BB1230?

Yes. They are both 30amps and achieve the same result. I have a long association with Sterling that goes back to my early motor trade days in 1999. (I have no connection with Sterling btw.)

They got a contract with the NHS to replace alternators and split charge relays on all the ambulances to combat the continual flat battery issues the ambulance crews were having.

The result wasn't perfect but it was 100% better than ordinary relays they were using before.

We want a battery that can be very quickly fully charged every time we start the van that is also affordable. A battery that can be charged as quickly as a battery used in F1 would be good. :1f609:

Cant see how it saves time to be honest, all those things is basic maintenance tasks that take a few minutes. 

Like you say everyone is different, im of the mindset that i wont pay for anything i can do myself, but i can appreciate some people will pay a handyman to change a lightbulb or bleed a radiator etc.

Yes. They are both 30amps and achieve the same result. I have a long association with Sterling that goes back to my early motor trade days in 1999. (I have no connection with Sterling btw.)

They got a contract with the NHS to replace alternators and split charge relays on all the ambulances to combat the continual flat battery issues the ambulance crews were having.

The result wasn't perfect but it was 100% better than ordinary relays they were using before.

We want a battery that can be very quickly fully charged every time we start the van that is also affordable. A battery that can be charged as quickly as a battery used in F1 would be good. :1f609:

I use a challenge £15 charger from argos lol to charge my leisure battery, i appreciate it probably all wrong but it does the job.

I have been reading this topic with interest as I also have a Grippa system fitted. The customer service prior to getting the tank fitted was excellent, but after fitting not so good. A few things didn't go to plan and I had to do a fair amount of chasing to get things corrected. I think most of the materials and equipment are decent, although in my opinion the standard of the fitting is not as good as it could be. I say most of the equipment because I don't think the V3 controller is worth the extra money, the auto flush at the start of each fill is useful, but other than that the rest is just over complicated tech that I'm sure will be expensive to replace when it eventually goes faulty, and the remote control is next to useless as it has nowhere near the range it claims to have. 

I had the speedliner but I wouldn't have it again. It's good, but a colleague has his done out in protectakote uvr and that seems just as good and is wearing well and was considerably less expensive. I've had a couple of fittings blow (due to jubilee clip not being tightened enough) as well with 1/2 a tank of water pumped into the van, but I guess that's where the speed liner comes in handy. 

Would I go back for another one ??? I'm not sure, but then I have no experience of any other companies. I thought I had done my research fairly well and I was paying top dollar to get top quality. Maybe I was just unlucky as Grippa do seem to get good reviews, or maybe I am just to fussy. 

Back