Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Grippa tank, worth the money?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I agree with AdamAngler, If I was going to spend £5,000 I wouldn't spend it on expensive van mount really don't see the point, Tank frames can be bought or fabricated and fitted by a local fabrication firm this has been done by other lads over the years as for a pump and controller without any knowledege of how to fit them just buy a pump box for just over £300. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with AdamAngler, If I was going to spend £5,000 I wouldn't spend it on expensive van mount really don't see the point, Tank frames can be bought or fabricated and fitted by a local fabrication firm this has been done by other lads over the years as for a pump and controller without any knowledege of how to fit them just buy a pump box for just over £300. 

I am inclined to agree with you. But then I can (or could) do these things myself. A Wyedale tank isn't as sophisticated as the Grippa Tank but they have done us well over the last 10 years. They are also still good enough for companies like PureFreedom to still use.

Connecting up a pump and controller to a battery isn't exactly rocket science.

I am inclined to agree with you. But then I can (or could) do these things myself. A Wyedale tank isn't as sophisticated as the Grippa Tank but they have done us well over the last 10 years. They are also still good enough for companies like PureFreedom to still use.

Connecting up a pump and controller to a battery isn't exactly rocket science.

I am not great at all with diy so I went with a Pump Box 6 years ago with it been ready to go and simply connect water to box with hozelock fittings, I had to change controllers a few months back and it was a fairly simple task to do. Thought I would aim this @Spartan also as their is options that won't break the bank. 

Wyedale tanks are a solid build and mine has also served me well, If I ever decide to switch to a van I would go diy again with a wyedale tank.

I think unless you go out in a demo Grippatank van or have one you wont appreciate the actual design.

It has one of the lowest center of gravity's on the market and the system is installed for maximum stability and safety. 

I've been out in various vans over the years and the ionics system was the only one i felt the same in. I went out in a 650L ******** wont say the name and it was an upright tank. We had about 500L on board in the morning and the drive from one house to the next was something i hated. The ferry syndrome of slapping and rocking water.

I have an 850L system in my van from Grippa and it drives just like i am carrying no load. I even had to do an emergency stop yesterday at around 25mph. didn't even hear the water slosh.

I agree with everyone's comments in the fact its just pure water we need to clean windows however my business model is based around a different structure so it's a grippatank system for me and everyone else.

I am not great at all with diy so I went with a Pump Box 6 years ago with it been ready to go and simply connect water to box with hozelock fittings, I had to change controllers a few months back and it was a fairly simple task to do. Thought I would aim this @Spartan also as their is options that won't break the bank. 

Wyedale tanks are a solid build and mine has also served me well, If I ever decide to switch to a van I would go diy again with a wyedale tank.

Cheers iron giant

I think unless you go out in a demo Grippatank van or have one you wont appreciate the actual design.

It has one of the lowest center of gravity's on the market and the system is installed for maximum stability and safety. 

I've been out in various vans over the years and the ionics system was the only one i felt the same in. I went out in a 650L ******** wont say the name and it was an upright tank. We had about 500L on board in the morning and the drive from one house to the next was something i hated. The ferry syndrome of slapping and rocking water.

I have an 850L system in my van from Grippa and it drives just like i am carrying no load. I even had to do an emergency stop yesterday at around 25mph. didn't even hear the water slosh.

I agree with everyone's comments in the fact its just pure water we need to clean windows however my business model is based around a different structure so it's a grippatank system for me and everyone else.

Fair comment.

My son has a Wyedale 500 liter upright tank in his van. The water does slosh around as he wanted his tank fitted across the front rather than length ways when he comes to a stop. The 'baffle' doesn't stop the water from sloshing about. We fitted the same 500 liter tank to a Transit Connect but length ways and there was no such issue.

What I like is that we can clean a Wyedale tank out periodically. How do you do that with a tank that's got lots of small compartments?

I have been reading this topic with interest as I also have a Grippa system fitted. The customer service prior to getting the tank fitted was excellent, but after fitting not so good. A few things didn't go to plan and I had to do a fair amount of chasing to get things corrected. I think most of the materials and equipment are decent, although in my opinion the standard of the fitting is not as good as it could be. I say most of the equipment because I don't think the V3 controller is worth the extra money, the auto flush at the start of each fill is useful, but other than that the rest is just over complicated tech that I'm sure will be expensive to replace when it eventually goes faulty, and the remote control is next to useless as it has nowhere near the range it claims to have. 

I had the speedliner but I wouldn't have it again. It's good, but a colleague has his done out in protectakote uvr and that seems just as good and is wearing well and was considerably less expensive. I've had a couple of fittings blow (due to jubilee clip not being tightened enough) as well with 1/2 a tank of water pumped into the van, but I guess that's where the speed liner comes in handy. 

Would I go back for another one ??? I'm not sure, but then I have no experience of any other companies. I thought I had done my research fairly well and I was paying top dollar to get top quality. Maybe I was just unlucky as Grippa do seem to get good reviews, or maybe I am just to fussy. 
Good Morning Lennie,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your feedback.

Customer support is really important to us, and we do try our best to respond to support requests promptly, so if this was not the case in your situation, then we can only apologise.  We operate a support helpdesk system which logs all of our support requests which helps us review and improve various aspects of our system.

Please do take the time to call us on 01223 790049 or email [email protected] as we would like to discuss your feedback directly and help resolve any concerns you have. 

Fair comment.

My son has a Wyedale 500 liter upright tank in his van. The water does slosh around as he wanted his tank fitted across the front rather than length ways when he comes to a stop. The 'baffle' doesn't stop the water from sloshing about. We fitted the same 500 liter tank to a Transit Connect but length ways and there was no such issue.

What I like is that we can clean a Wyedale tank out periodically. How do you do that with a tank that's got lots of small compartments?

Hi Spruce, 

All of the compartments can be moved so that you can clean out the tank if required. 

You say over complicate but to most running a business time is money a system like that will save time.

Water production is fairly straight forward but how many people have been on here lately saying my TDS is rising is it my membrane or filter.When should I change my resin?didn't realise my TDS was 15 is it ok to use ,my tank is filling slowly what could it be etc,etc?

A system like that will identify any problems let you know when its time to change filters and resin before it's to late and speed up maintenance.

when going for a van mount system you will have 3 options all will do the end result the same but will appeal to different people for different reasons.

On a budget with good knowledge of a system and time on your hands then d.i.y it will be by far the cheapest option.

Don't know what your doing, don't really have the time but don't want to spend the earth go for a system by cleaning warehouse or k systems(or similar)

Money not the motivating factor in your choice and want a top quality product and service then go grippa or ionics.

What is right for some won't be for others but every one I have spoke to who spent good money on a Grippa set up never regretted their purchase.

I am sure their products are top notch, but what about flying lump hammer protection for the filters and computer screen lol?  

I guess I could build some sort of wooden cover for all the fragile bits.

Thought Ionics was overpriced and no one bought their stuff?    

I tend to look at price variations like cars, you might look smarter driving a Mercedes but does it get you there any quicker, or more reliably, than a Ford. The answer is no, it only makes you feel better. 

As I've said before when I set my company up I did a lot of research and found Pure Freedom to be the best, price and advice. 6 years later wouldn't go anywhere else. Don't know how they compare price wise to Grippa but were substantially cheaper than Ionics

I tend to look at price variations like cars, you might look smarter driving a Mercedes but does it get you there any quicker, or more reliably, than a Ford. The answer is no, it only makes you feel better. 

As I've said before when I set my company up I did a lot of research and found Pure Freedom to be the best, price and advice. 6 years later wouldn't go anywhere else. Don't know how they compare price wise to Grippa but were substantially cheaper than Ionics

i like your analogy Part Timer.

My friends Mercedes switches its windscreen wipers on when it starts to rain, switches the lights on when it starts to gets dark...

Me - I'm quite capable of noticing when its dark and wet and thus adjust the wipers & lights :1f602:

i just feel like its one more (or 2 in this case) that have the ability to pack up.

I feel the same with all this water fed pole business - keep it as simple as possible but as effective as possible - good quality engineered parts that will last a long time but without over complicating it  :1f44d:

I appreciate that if you're a firm running a fleet of vans and don't want the 'hassle' of doing much yourself or don't want to trust the employees to do the maintenance checks then fully auto is right for you.

Put it together yourself and you'll be able to sort it if something goes wrong or needs replacing.

One of the main attraction for me with the grippa system was the tank itself.It has a low centre of gravity it's not an upright or lay flat like a wyedale and being fully baffled it handles really well when driving you get no sloshing or surging.

Wyedale tanks aren't baffled the hole going through the middle will act similar to a baffle but it does not have chambers or dividers like a baffled tank does.The hole is actually there for strength to stop the tank collapsing in on its self when full.

Grippa tanks are also black and not transparent like wyedale tanks which if in sunlight will stop algae growing so you shouldn't have to clean them.

I have been in the van with @Damo with 850l of water on board and my kangoo sloshes about more with 200l in 

Even when it is half full you wouldn't know it had water in as it doesn't slosh about at all

don't think the V3 controller is worth the extra money, the auto flush at the start of each fill is useful, but other than that the rest is just over complicated tech that I'm sure will be expensive to replace when it eventually goes faulty, and the remote control is next to useless as it has nowhere near the range it claims to have

If I just get the flush through but  asked Grippa to not put in the computer screen and TDS alerts and asked for a cheap analogue flow controller (so easy to replace) but had Grippa fit the tank and plumbing and battery etc, wouldn't that be way to go?   Like you I am concerned that the more complicated things are if something goes wrong, the more hassle and money it will be to deal with.  They build me a Cleaning Warehouse set up, but use their better quality components.  I heard the Cleaning Warehouse use cheap Chinese parts, but they're cheap and their set ups aren't complicated  and does the job.   Basic system but long lasting.   Honestly who needs an alarm going off when your TDS rises over 5!   We are only cleaning windows.  If they build it though it hopefully it will last 10 years or more, which is the hope.

There is a large Commercial Company I know who were loyal to one company and the biggest bug with them was down time which cost him money paying wages. He went onto Purchase a number of Grippa tank systems and in a year will have saved money due to downtime. This is a key factor with Commercial companies. I know of a window cleaner who purchased a well known company's system and has lost over £2 in downtime going back and forth trying to get it sorted. And talking of knock off Chinese parts we had a customer bring in a new system which was leaking. Straight away I spotted the Shurflo parts were knock off and this was from a large well known company. 

There is a large Commercial Company I know who were loyal to one company and the biggest bug with them was down time which cost him money paying wages. He went onto Purchase a number of Grippa tank systems and in a year will have saved money due to downtime. This is a key factor with Commercial companies. I know of a window cleaner who purchased a well known company's system and has lost over £2 in downtime going back and forth trying to get it sorted. And talking of knock off Chinese parts we had a customer bring in a new system which was leaking. Straight away I spotted the Shurflo parts were knock off and this was from a large well known company. 

I didn't know this. On doing a search I see Chinese made Shurflo pumps on sale. How do we know that we are getting the genuine article as apposed to a fake one Doug?

My experience has told me that we should only ever buy wfp equipment from a recognised supplier such as yourself (which I have done.)  So this is a concerning twist if we can't even trust the scruples of "a well known company". At one time knock-off parts were cheaper than the original but price can't be relied on as a determining factor nowadays.

I don't know how the importation of Shurflo pumps from the USA works. Do Williamson Pumps have sale distributor status in the UK or can you also import the genuine article directly?

I'm not saying all knockoff parts are poor quality. In the years before Rhodesia declared UDI Samuel Osborn in Bulawayo had the Devilbiss spraygun agency. After UDI we sourced spares and product from Sagola in Spain whose sprayguns were a virtual copy of the USA Devilbiss spraygun. Fluid nozzles and needles, and aircaps where totally interchangeable and in all honesty, every bit as good as the originals.

In those days the only issue we had was dealing with the Spanish mañana culture. But we could live with that as our allocation for import licenses followed similar lines.

Shurflo has been bought over by Pentair and U.K. Importers are aware that there are fake pumps entering into the market. You kind of can tell if the product has been made in China is by the thread. They don't seem to get the thread right so when you are putting all things together it's starts leaking by the thread.

There is a compromise. I had GrippaTank install my tank and rollers, then I fitted my pumps, controllers etc at a fraction of the price you mentioned ?

How much did u pay.  I want a basic system ( the less complicated, the less can go wrong)  is the way I see it.  Think I will speak to Oliver about them doing  me a really basic RO and controller set up.

What are rollers by the way? 

How much did u pay.  I want a basic system ( the less complicated, the less can go wrong)  is the way I see it.  Think I will speak to Oliver about them doing  me a really basic RO and controller set up.

If you want a basic system do it yourself

Tank, pump, controller, reel and hose is all you need and obviously a battery

That's all there is to it

No need to pay a fortune

You can get someone to knock up a frame and still be quids in

For them to supply and fit the tank, supply and fit the rollers (4 sets) plus make and fit 2 custom made frames that hang my reels at chest level, was about £1500 I think. Plus, plus, I got 2 free EZ fit female connectors! ?

I could of quite easily installed the tank myself with industrial ratchet straps, plus install the reels etc, I've done it on two other vans. But, hopefully, this will be my last van before retiring, I have the money, so thought cobblers, let's treat myself ?

Back