Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Heavy duty degreaser stain

WCF

Help Support WCF:

NOONCS

So I use HDD (heavy duty degreaser) all the time, on first clean windows, conservatory roofs (glass or plastic) I use it for pressure washing and have used it for years.

I’ve just started a new shop and they asked for the sign work to be done, I got the HDD out and sprayed it on washed it and went, next week I came and noticed the splash marks so I just used water and they didn’t come off.
They have just asked for it to be done again and to see if some of the marks could come off as they saw it being left.

Have a completely screwed the pooch and wrecked the sign work??
Not sure if it’s plastic or metal but I’m unsure what to do.

I’ve got public liability but unsure to do through with it or if I can fix it some how

Any advice welcome
Thanks
J

Not sure how effective it would be but I would try out some pink stuff on the marks. Wet the sign down and apply the pink stuff with a cloth. The pink stuff will form a nice paste when it mixes with the water and is slightly abrasive so you might have a chance of getting rid of some or all of the marks.
Good luck!

So I use HDD (heavy duty degreaser) all the time, on first clean windows, conservatory roofs (glass or plastic) I use it for pressure washing and have used it for years.

I’ve just started a new shop and they asked for the sign work to be done, I got the HDD out and sprayed it on washed it and went, next week I came and noticed the splash marks so I just used water and they didn’t come off.
They have just asked for it to be done again and to see if some of the marks could come off as they saw it being left.

Have a completely screwed the pooch and wrecked the sign work??
Not sure if it’s plastic or metal but I’m unsure what to do.

I’ve got public liability but unsure to do through with it or if I can fix it some how

Any advice welcome
Thanks
J
You really need to know what the sign is made of before applying any chemicals it
Its sounds like this could be a pay out for damages it you can't provide evidence of the marks being there beforehand

In any instance I would also try and rectify the situation with a personal payment (cash) instead of hitting your PLI as you're policy will take a hit and in turn leave a claim note on your business and price rise on your renewal

Also your excess needs to be taken into account

Why didn't you opt for a test patch prior to cleaning?

Not sure why your using a degreaser - but never mind - sounds like the mix was far to strong
your best bet is (I'm afraid) to get up close and personal to the sign and hand scrub it with the chemical you originally used this will bring the whole sign unto the same standard ( thats assuming the splash marks look cleaner than the rest of the sign)

we had a chap caravan cleaning for us and he sprayed neat TFR down the side - when he had cleaned it you could read the word OXO where he sprayed directly on the van. - we then had to hand clean the whole side with neat TFR to buff out OXO - it worked - took us 1.5 hrs but no one could tell there was a f@@k up

Pink stuff is always a good shout

In the motor trade, new cars were delivered with a protective wax coating on the paintwork.
The Valeters used TFR to remove this protective coating. They never sprayed cars with it when the 'heat' of day and had to jet it off before the TFR dried.

I sprayed some on the first conservatory I ever cleaned. It dried. It left a yellow stain all over the UPVC which took me days of hard graft with Astonish paste to remove.

If the sign is acrylic, then you can't use Pink Stuff as it 'scratches'. (After all, it is an abrasive cleaner.) We know this from a shopfront we clean that has acrylic advertising panels. The only thing you can do is try a test patch with your HDD cleaner or Pink Stuff or CIF cream and see if any of those help.

At one time, we used to use UBIK degreaser by Clover, but haven't for years now.

Back