Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot Water Systems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

How did you tune it up Kevin?
hi smurf on the outlet of the heater insert a tap washer(these have a smaller hole in them and create backpressure within the heater)and on the inlet install a flow restrictor -i'll source that link today and connect to the flow switch inside the heater-its a clever thing and allows the heater to turn on and run on a low flow.

I've found warm/hot water does help on some ad-hoc & filthy first cleans. After saying that though I have no real need to use it on every job. Not only that it's a waste of money running a water heater when not realy needed.

In my area many now use hot window washing as a branding gimmick. I know a lot of local lads with theropure and gas water heater system fitted in thir vans which they too also don't use hot on every job.

That was my thinking to,costs etc,you more savvy than me but for those first really mucky cleans it must be more effective.

Thanks Kev....looking forward to you posting the links

hi smurf on the outlet of the heater insert a tap washer(these have a smaller hole in them and create backpressure within the heater)and on the inlet install a flow restrictor -i'll source that link today and connect to the flow switch inside the heater-its a clever thing and allows the heater to turn on and run on a low flow.

Smurf, have you any pics of your set up? I seen a pic where it was on someones patio.. Do you just plug it into the customers tap? Or use from the tank in van?

Be great for first cleans and canvassing. When you ave 10 first cleans in a day it ain't fun lol

For regular maintenance work, the warmer the pure water means it takes a bit longer to clean each window; i.e. in the winter the water is colder & brush bristles will remain stiffer, summer the water is warmer and the same brush bristle will be softer

Hotter water has a lower surface tension and dissolves dirt, not what you want for maintenance cleans, it cost more to use, its not needed on over 98% of the windows and much slower to use on those windows.

Richard
do you use a hot water system? if so what do you use??

as for what you have said its pritty much wrong, the warmer the water the quicker it is to clean, in the winter everything stayed soft even the bristles.

so hot water dissolves the dirt which is good, but why wouldnt you want to dissolve the dirt on maintenance cleans??

the hot water gives a better and cleaner finish than cold water, gives the windows a good shine to them too! i have found that i have done the same amount of work in less time due to hot water so making you more money.

My running cost of £1.30 a day 7am-5pm on a good day is nothing when you earn over £200-£300 in that time!

if hot water wasnt good at cleaning then no one would use it to do the washing up in or just wash full stop!!!!!

how come you didnt use the screw that they have fitted to change the flow to be able to use on a low pressure??

on my L5 just turned the screw on it and can use mine down to a running flow of 20psi, this meaning you can turn the gas flow down and save even more gas!

from the rs compnents website source water flow switches and scroll half way down they are about £24

how come you didnt use the screw that they have fitted to change the flow to be able to use on a low pressure??

on my L5 just turned the screw on it and can use mine down to a running flow of 20psi, this meaning you can turn the gas flow down and save even more gas!
what screw?????????? do tell

As I mentioned before it's not permantly fixed to the van so I have the option to either use it mounted on the door of the van or pf trolley just inside the van door when using pure. Or portable mounted on a tripod works rather well when I want to use it connected to a customers outside tap.

View attachment 2399

Smurf, have you any pics of your set up? I seen a pic where it was on someones patio.. Do you just plug it into the customers tap? Or use from the tank in van?

what screw?????????? do tell
On the L5 there is one screw just inside, can access it without taking cover off, on the water inlet fitting, just screw that and that will reduce the internal pipe size to allow the flow to work on low pressure, its free to do and wont void the warranty with adding parts to the boiler!

another make i have fitted for someone has 2 screw on the inlet pipe, access to them you had to take cover off.

As I mentioned before it's not permantly fixed to the van so I have the option to either use it mounted on the door of the van or pf trolley just inside the van door when using pure. Or portable mounted on a tripod works rather well when I want to use it connected to a customers outside tap.

attachicon.gif
IMG_3522.JPG
looks good, but to much hassle to carry all that about, plus dont the wind keep blowing the flame out??

why not just have it fitted into the van and fit diffrent ports to the inlet pipe that you can either run the pure water from the tank or have a port that you can run hose from house to the heater then out like normal?

If you don't find hot water cleans better then I am afraid that you are doing it wrong. How can you possibly be serious to say that cold water cleans better than hot.

Use a stiffer brush if your other one too soft.

If you read any information about hot water systems then it does say to pick a stiffer brush than you are used to using with cold water.

I use hot every time, why have it and not use it.

But with a name like hot wash I can't really go backwards and use cold water to clean.

Yep RC you could also run a normal garden hose connected to an outside tap back to the van inlet of the water heater if you wanted to. Then you would have to run another hose from the outlet of the heater back to the work area.

On that one to be honest was just as quick to set it up in the back garden. Also young kids were playing out the front so I did not want the van unlocked with the back doors open. Also the risks of kids messing about near the gas heater that was out of sight from me.

Sod that, not even secured or a fire extinguisher.

If you turned up at my house with that set up, you wouldn't be stepping on my property. :Image4:

do you use a hot water system? if so what do you use??

as for what you have said its pritty much wrong, the warmer the water the quicker it is to clean, in the winter everything stayed soft even the bristles.

so hot water dissolves the dirt which is good, but why wouldnt you want to dissolve the dirt on maintenance cleans??

the hot water gives a better and cleaner finish than cold water, gives the windows a good shine to them too! i have found that i have done the same amount of work in less time due to hot water so making you more money.

My running cost of £1.30 a day 7am-5pm on a good day is nothing when you earn over £200-£300 in that time!

if hot water wasnt good at cleaning then no one would use it to do the washing up in or just wash full stop!!!!!
There no much if any dirt on maintenance cleans. How can hot water make it cleaner? How does it make it shine, Pleases explain.

Your comparing window cleaning to washing dishes? lol. Windows are not covered it grease and sauce... although you may get the odd egg on a window lol. No ons saying hot waters not good. Just a marketing gimmick

So Damo I take it you would never use a gas barbeque or gas patio heater in your back garden?

Those L5 hot water heaters by the way chaps are really outdoor showers so are safe and only intended to be use outside. Also may I add ce approved for outdoor use only and not suposed to be fitted into a van. :Image13:

Sod that, not even secured or a fire extinguisher.

If you turned up at my house with that set up, you wouldn't be stepping on my property. :Image4:

So Damo I take it you would never use a gas barbeque or gas patio heater in your back garden?

Those L5 hot water heaters by the way chaps are really outdoor showers so are safe and only intended to be use outside. Also may I add ce approved for outdoor use only and not suposed to be fitted into a van. :Image13:
No to both of those! If I did ever replace my BBQ with a gas one I would make sure I have the proper H&S in place.

NOW I know why you wear a hard hat........ It's in case the gas bottle explodes and the house lands on your head lmao.

To be honsest there would be much more risk of you burning your burgers than having a gas bottle explode outdoors. If it did then don't think a hard hat would do much good do you? :Image13:

No to both of those! If I did ever replace my BBQ with a gas one I would make sure I have the proper H&S in place.

NOW I know why you wear a hard hat........ It's in case the gas bottle explodes and the house lands on your head lmao.

Back