Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hot Water Systems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I wouldn't use an unvented heater in my van, a hole for a flue pipe in your van is better than getting poisoned any day lol, mine is a Spanish made Cointra heater, cost more than the L5 but are far more robust, ive been caught out with the van freezing over night twice now and the heater shrugged it off no bother ,didn't even miss a beat even though the system had been frozen solid and I had to thaw it out with a heater the following morning, quality kit

There no much if any dirt on maintenance cleans. How can hot water make it cleaner? How does it make it shine' date=' Pleases explain.[/size']
Your comparing window cleaning to washing dishes? lol. Windows are not covered it grease and sauce... although you may get the odd egg on a window lol. No ons saying hot waters not good. Just a marketing gimmick
Traffic film??

So Damo I take it you would never use a gas barbeque or gas patio heater in your back garden?

Those L5 hot water heaters by the way chaps are really outdoor showers so are safe and only intended to be use outside. Also may I add ce approved for outdoor use only and not suposed to be fitted into a van. :Image13:
Thought about this,legality and all that,is it allowed,safe etc.

Put it this way Ady no gas fitter worth his salt would install an L5 type heater in a van for sure....

Put it this way Ady no gas fitter worth his salt would install an L5 type heater in a van for sure....
Really ,have just been thinking about doing this as rc been helpful,I've got a mate who works for British gas,will have a word.

There no much if any dirt on maintenance cleans. How can hot water make it cleaner? How does it make it shine, Pleases explain.

Your comparing window cleaning to washing dishes? lol. Windows are not covered it grease and sauce... although you may get the odd egg on a window lol. No ons saying hot waters not good. Just a marketing gimmick
depends on areas really, at the moment our window are getting dirty with traffic dust within a week, then there is the pollen coming off the trees that sticks to everything.hot water can remove any grease or films on the windows caused by traffic. not sure how it makes it shine more but i have noticed it more since ive been using it for the last 6 months especially on the upvc frames.

windows can get greese on them, from hands, birds flying into them, animals rubbing up against, trafic etc, so i only said about washing dishes as everyone uses hot water to clean them quicker and soaks the muck off quick.

saying that some of the shop fronts do get the odd burger etc from the drunken lot round here! lol

So Damo I take it you would never use a gas barbeque or gas patio heater in your back garden?

Those L5 hot water heaters by the way chaps are really outdoor showers so are safe and only intended to be use outside. Also may I add ce approved for outdoor use only and not suposed to be fitted into a van. :Image13:
i used gas bbq's and gas heaters in my bak garden, but they was my own. if any professional brings any gas appliance onto our property then i would expect them to have all the right gear to go with it. when we do plumbing in customers houses we have to have a fire extinguisher near where we are working to comply with the H&S and insurance policys that we have to cover use. and there is a fire extinguisher fitted next to the drivers seat too!

Fire extinguisher fitted next to the drivers seat too!
Not saying you shouldn't have one in the car, but I have heard they are pretty useless in a car, and should wait till fire engine comes along!

If a car is on fire and going to explode a little fire extinguisher isn't going to do much! lol

Not saying you shouldn't have one in the car, but I have heard they are pretty useless in a car, and should wait till fire engine comes along!

If a car is on fire and going to explode a little fire extinguisher isn't going to do much! lol
i know what you mean, if my van catched fire im not going to try to tackle it with it, im just going to run for cover! lol gas and fuel dont mix well with heat! lol

but the insurance says that i need to have one to be covered.

do you use a hot water system? if so what do you use??

as for what you have said its pritty much wrong, the warmer the water the quicker it is to clean, in the winter everything stayed soft even the bristles.

so hot water dissolves the dirt which is good, but why wouldnt you want to dissolve the dirt on maintenance cleans??

the hot water gives a better and cleaner finish than cold water, gives the windows a good shine to them too! i have found that i have done the same amount of work in less time due to hot water so making you more money.

My running cost of £1.30 a day 7am-5pm on a good day is nothing when you earn over £200-£300 in that time!

if hot water wasnt good at cleaning then no one would use it to do the washing up in or just wash full stop!!!!!
Hi rcpropety, I had to do a lot of test when making brushes; every hot water test on maintenance cleans took longer or you risk having loads of spotting if the cleaning time is the same when compared to using ambient temperature water (cold water in laymen’s terms). Technically the glass has been cleaned, but customers don’t like spotting.

You want to wash/clear most of the dirt away, not dissolve it into the water. Heated water also has a lower surface tension so more (dirty) water will stay/cover the glass, a longer final rinse is always recommended with heated water, regardless of the brush bristle type you use.

Heated water has its huge benefits same a using a detergent, but definitely not needed for regular maintenance work, which may only have a few weeks of weathered dirt on.

If you do clean to the same standard as ambient temperature water - the difference in time, water usage and money is huge over a single week. This would only apply to window cleaners who aren’t slow i.e. poor technique or using a slow brush etc; if ‘they’ used heated water they probably won’t notice the loss of time, water or money.

Richard

i might have a cold shower that might get me cleaner and save on the gas bill, twiddle twoddle your equipment for sale must be of no use with hot water systems else why would you slate something when you are so obviously wrong.

hot water cleans better quicker ....its a fact.

if water is 0ppm it will leave no spots, spotting has nothing to do with hot water or cold water its to do with the impurities in the water which is why we use water filtration systems as there are dissolved solids in the water which we dont want being in there, so whether the water is 0degrees or 100 degrees the simple fact is if its not pure it will leave spots.

i use hot all the time and find alot of equipment out there for sale needs to be improved to take the hot water, more cost to suppliers and manufacturers. oh well everyone will be using hot water sooner or later.

Hi rcpropety, I had to do a lot of test when making brushes; every hot water test on maintenance cleans took longer or you risk having loads of spotting if the cleaning time is the same when compared to using ambient temperature water (cold water in laymen’s terms). Technically the glass has been cleaned, but customers don’t like spotting.

You want to wash/clear most of the dirt away, not dissolve it into the water. Heated water also has a lower surface tension so more (dirty) water will stay/cover the glass, a longer final rinse is always recommended with heated water, regardless of the brush bristle type you use.

Heated water has its huge benefits same a using a detergent, but definitely not needed for regular maintenance work, which may only have a few weeks of weathered dirt on.

If you do clean to the same standard as ambient temperature water - the difference in time, water usage and money is huge over a single week. This would only apply to window cleaners who aren’t slow i.e. poor technique or using a slow brush etc; if ‘they’ used heated water they probably won’t notice the loss of time, water or money.

Richard

Richard
spotting is only cause by poor rinsing, when you rinse with the pure water it being cold or hot it get rid of all the dirt from the glass leaving you a spot free clean!

pure water hot or cold dissolves the dirt and absorbs it as it trys to get back to its normal state.

like you say you only test with it, and only took longer because you are not used to it or maybe your brushes cant take the hot water????

you dontclean with it from day to day like a few of us!! 6 months of cleaning with warm water, not a single dirt spot left on windows or even a call back from any of my customers!

i have a block of 78 flats with 2 of us using 2 vans with cold water took both of us 4 hours to do it, as soon as we turned to using hot we managed to get the time down to just over 3 hours!

another good thing with hot water that they dry a lot quicker too!

window cleaners that leave spotting is done because they dont know what they are doing and rush through it!

All my vans use cold water and been cleaning WFP for a few years. Will stick to cold.

Useless gimmick IMHO.

spotting is only cause by poor rinsing, when you rinse with the pure water it being cold or hot it get rid of all the dirt from the glass leaving you a spot free clean!

like you say you only test with it, not clean with it from day to day like a few of us!! 6 months of cleaning with warm water, not a single dirt spot left on windows or even a call back from any of my customers!

window cleaners that leave spotting is done because they dont know what they are doing and rush through it!
I think the point he was trying to make is you need to rinse more with hot water as dirt is harder to get off as its dissolved more.

I think the point he was trying to make is you need to rinse more with hot water as dirt is harder to get off as its dissolved more.
dont need to rinse more at all, just rinse the same, if anything i use less water when on hot than i do when i was cold!

Conflicting or what but see both points.

I've been on wfp for 11 years with firms and myself and never had a problem even with old brush,all about the method.

I can see the advantage of hot water though especially on first or one of cleans and like the idea of it.

Who is right,sell it to me!

dont need to rinse more at all, just rinse the same, if anything i use less water when on hot than i do when i was cold!
Too true, continuous use is ace, it's much quicker with hot water. You and I just talk from experience not experiments.

The longer everyone stays cold water system the more money we will make.

Conflicting or what but see both points.

I've been on wfp for 11 years with firms and myself and never had a problem even with old brush,all about the method.

I can see the advantage of hot water though especially on first or one of cleans and like the idea of it.

Who is right,sell it to me!
there is no right or wrong really,

you are hearing from a guy that only used hot water to test his brushes and had poor results and there are 2 guys that use it day in day out and never has a problem with it! lol

Latest Posts

Back