Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How cold is too cold?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I just posted this in the other thread about working in the snow, it works for this thread also lol!....

This is the last week of the year. I've worked in the snow and cold 5-6 days a week for years it's all about layering up and being very thoughtful of your steps and working efficiently so your time in the elements is minimal. 

2021- ongoing, will be a breeze the schedule will only be 2-3 days aweek all ground floor work with only a couple jobs that a have 12ft windows that need a some pole work.

Just remember this business can be anything you make it. 

Heres what the next 10 days look like here in our area in the US.

View attachment 22877
What part of the USA are you in ? America is a big place ??? we have friends in Arkansas, and key west Florida .

no need to put a heater in the back of your van....just leave your batteries connected to your charger plugged in.....the frost stat will do the rest......thats one of the reasons i went with the grippatank heater....no faffin about......no remembering to put a heater in the van,etc......
My main pump is playing up and I sometimes need to hit it with a hammer to get it going. Bought two new one's but I can't be bothered changing the dud one because its too cold and I still have a few jobs to finish. I also need to swap my underfloor rollers to Grippatank one's so may do bother jobs together. 

What part of the USA are you in ? America is a big place ??? we have friends in Arkansas, and key west Florida .
I'm in the Pacific Northwest.."Washington State "

It just looks big on maps and stuff !?

remember a couple of years ago , went out all ready for days work,    washed window   ready to rinse  .    no no    water left on glass started to freeze on the window.    Home time .

remember a couple of years ago , went out all ready for days work,    washed window   ready to rinse  .    no no    water left on glass started to freeze on the window.    Home time .
When I first went wfp I did this conservatory and the water froze on the glass so I upped the flow and tried to melt it and get it to run down the glass at the bottom the ice was about 1/2 inch thick !,,, ended up getting out an inch wide scraper and scraping the whole window to get it off took me about 45 muinits ???? you live and learn ????

When I first went wfp I did this conservatory and the water froze on the glass so I upped the flow and tried to melt it and get it to run down the glass at the bottom the ice was about 1/2 inch thick !,,, ended up getting out an inch wide scraper and scraping the whole window to get it off took me about 45 muinits ???? you live and learn ????
At least that was a simple lesson learned! ?

Get a smaller map. "and stuff". ?
I'm half blind. I need big maps and stuff ?

I remember being trad soaping up patio doors and 3 seconds later totally frozen up and being stood there like an idiot with a scraper whilst the home owner is sat on the sofa watching me scrap the ice off ?

We did a big office block, had to be done on weekends, turned up in November at 7am got the 47 out and started to wash in the dark. It felt very rough but it was 40' up and we couldn't see so we disconnected the hose reels and turned the van lights on the windows, they were frozen.

We had to sit around till the sun came up, round the other side and started to wash there. Fortunately the windows had thawed when we got back to them. Cost us an hour and a half.

I remember being trad soaping up patio doors and 3 seconds later totally frozen up and being stood there like an idiot with a scraper whilst the home owner is sat on the sofa watching me scrap the ice off ?
Be there done that back in the early days too! ?

Maybe in hindsight I shouldn't have bothered yesterday.. It took half hour before setting off defrosting the van and hose to fill it. Then when I got to work the pole was frozen solid which I didn't realise before so that took around 45 mins to get working.

The last house I did yesterday just as it was getting dark froze over. I glanced at the front on the way to the van and the front windows were sheets of ice! ?

The other houses seemed to be OK. They mustn't have had the heating on at that one. 

Ended up getting a fair bit of work done though. 

We see this all the time at this time of year. If you are in this business full-time and don't undertake any other work then hot water is a no brainer and such a pleasure to work with. Here is Scotland we can have 3 months of this type of weather so it makes sense to go down the hot water route and means you can work all year round. ?

We see this all the time at this time of year. If you are in this business full-time and don't undertake any other work then hot water is a no brainer and such a pleasure to work with. Here is Scotland we can have 3 months of this type of weather so it makes sense to go down the hot water route and means you can work all year round. ?
If I ever move to Scotland I think I'll jack in Window cleaning ?

This one might have had A+ double glazed windows. They really keep the heat in so if freezing outside then they're very prone to freezing.

This is something we will start to see more of as I think new builds have to have them.
Yep can be. I think though on this one, they just haven't had the heating on. There doesn't seem to be anyone there much at the minute (they've had a bit of a domestic and half the furniture has dissapeared...) A bit sad but kinda worried about getting paid tbh ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I ever move to Scotland I think I'll jack in Window cleaning ?
Its strange up here, we call it the West of Scotland Culture. They don't like change and they certainly don't like folk succeeding in life. I still see many old windies going about in pairs with ladders on their shoulders unwilling to change and even small companies doing it. When they do eventually grasp the thistle and get a resin cold water system they moan about it being wet and cold. Then they begin to ask questions about hot water systems. I on the other hand always jump in at the deep end when I read about what's happening down south or over the pond. I always get a hard time from family and anyone else that doesn't understand the windie game like you paid £10k for a tank of water that sprays hot water? you must be mad. Told one person my pole cost a grand and he nearly fainted so I don't say much now and take the money. I don't even look for customers now because of the add-ons coming in.

The strange thing is this:- In Scotland we don't have water meters so you can take as much as you like. This means its a no brainer, one must go down the RO route and our tds is under a hundred so a bag of resin will last a lifetime cause the RO takes it down to 002. The commercial windies quickly understood this and were making a fortune till the virus struck and will probably resort back to domestic in the future.

No reason to be sorry @Pjj  ?

Washington State the Pacific Northwest! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back