Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How cold is too cold?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

my water was frozen this morning and we didn't even have a frost last night!  It seems like it's not thawed out from the cold weather over the last week as it was left untouched for christmas week.

To answer the original question- If its hovering around zero I wait for it to get to +1 degree, but if it's like -4 or something I just go back to bed.

ill work down to around  -5......any lower than that even using a hot water system becomes dangerous!as you just end up making ice for your customers to slip on!
How many days a year do you have to deal with temperatures in  the negatives (-2 -5) in your area?

Last edited by a moderator:
How many days a year do you have to deal with temperatures in  the negatives (-2 -5) in your area?
I live quite close to Dazmond and in all honesty not many. Some years have been known to go all winter without having any complications due to the cold. That said I had to jack in yesterday as it was freezing up on the glass to quickly to be able to get a proper clean. Think I need a hot water but can’t justify the expense against only needing it fir a few days a year. Would be more financially beneficial to take a few days off here and there throughout the winter. A lad near me uses a 3kw immersion heater to slightly warm his water so that it takes the edge off for the first few hours until the temps get above freezing on the glass. Another actually fills his tank straight out the hot water tap in the morning before he sets off but says the higher TDS of the water out his heating system kills the resin but lets him work more so counter acts it. 

I live quite close to Dazmond and in all honesty not many. Some years have been known to go all winter without having any complications due to the cold. That said I had to jack in yesterday as it was freezing up on the glass to quickly to be able to get a proper clean. Think I need a hot water but can’t justify the expense against only needing it fir a few days a year. Would be more financially beneficial to take a few days off here and there throughout the winter. A lad near me uses a 3kw immersion heater to slightly warm his water so that it takes the edge off for the first few hours until the temps get above freezing on the glass. Another actually fills his tank straight out the hot water tap in the morning before he sets off but says the higher TDS of the water out his heating system kills the resin but lets him work more so counter acts it. 
Thanks for the information @Cleanco

a heating system is beneficial at times!?

For me working in minus temperatures is not the reason I invested in a hot water system....I just find it more comfortable to use all year round.....I hate using cold water for cleaning.....

For me working in minus temperatures is not the reason I invested in a hot water system....I just find it more comfortable to use all year round.....I hate using cold water for cleaning.....
I just think its a no brainer if you work for yourself. I can understand if one is running a company but if we are doing the work then we need to make it as easy as possible. I don't want to be lying on my death bed wishing I had went Hot. ?

Down here in the SE, we get (and I'm guessing here) around a month's worth of overnight temperature falling below 0C. Daytime temperatures of below 0C are very rare, possibly less than a week in an average year. I don't think last winter we experienced any days with temperature below 0C.

Today was 0C and it was just dandy working with a cold water system. 

Usually a few mornings less than a week a year normally and by 10-11 am it’s frost free yesterday and the day before it was below zero in parts all day , today was much better we had highs of 4 degrees ??

Usually a few mornings less than a week a year normally and by 10-11 am it’s frost free yesterday and the day before it was below zero in parts all day , today was much better we had highs of 4 degrees ??
That's not bad all. ?

Down here in the SE, we get (and I'm guessing here) around a month's worth of overnight temperature falling below 0C. Daytime temperatures of below 0C are very rare, possibly less than a week in an average year. I don't think last winter we experienced any days with temperature below 0C.

Today was 0C and it was just dandy working with a cold water system. 
Thanks for sharing!

We have at least 6 months of cold,miserable weather usually from the beginning of oct until the end of march.....hot water just makes my working day easier and more comfortable plus I dont have to worry about remembering to put a heater in my van on freezing nights....I also hate wearing gloves(I just wear thin nitrile ones in winter)....the hot hose keeps my hands warm plus the pole warms up too!

I have everything to keep my days comfortable.....

Hot water

Electric reel

Hi mod carbon poles

Heated drivers seat??

Heated windscreen 

We have at least 6 months of cold,miserable weather usually from the beginning of oct until the end of march.....hot water just makes my working day easier and more comfortable plus I dont have to worry about remembering to put a heater in my van on freezing nights....I also hate wearing gloves(I just wear thin nitrile ones in winter)....the hot hose keeps my hands warm plus the pole warms up too!

I have everything to keep my days comfortable.....

Hot water

Electric reel

Hi mod carbon poles

Heated drivers seat??

Heated windscreen 
You have hot, why haven’t you mentioned it? ??

Britain might be a small country, but the temperatures really vary.

London and the south east generally get the hottest temperatures (not a good thing mid summer), jockland generally get the coldest. 

It’s also a fact that the west is wetter than the east. 
Surprising variations for such a small island ?

Does anyone actually put isopropyl in there water? I hear even with hot water people struggling with freezing windows

Okay u must have it really hot it then.. it's rare but I find the problem is if it's really cold & no people don't have heating on just freezes and hard work scrubbing it off

Back