Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

how much should I aim to earn per day as a wfp cleaner?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Yep I get that. But after 2 months ,that's doing great I say. Give it time n it will build !  If I'm half way to that after 2 months ,I'll be more than happy. 
No Ime not being critical you have done very well , but earning £140 per day as an employee is one thing ,earning that as self employed is a totally different kettle of fish but Ime sure you will do well as ones in the spring will be more inclined to think about having cleaning done . 

Interesting thread.

in reality; you can earn as much as you set your mind to AND as much as you can sell your ‘perceived value’ to clients.

As some have already said, don’t under estimate the hidden costs. Equipment wears out. Vans and cars require servicing and repairs. Brushes need fairly regular replacement if you’re getting through good volume. Insurances, taxation, wear and tear, holiday allowance.

you need to factor this all in. 

We must have costs of about £10k a year including fuel so that's £200 a week.

I would say we need to make Above £700 a week just to tick over. I'm out tomorrow clearing a gutter for £50 which is good for a few hours work but I'll be a tenner on fuel so not that great when you think about it but its a windy customer.

We must have costs of about £10k a year including fuel so that's £200 a week.

I would say we need to make Above £700 a week just to tick over. I'm out tomorrow clearing a gutter for £50 which is good for a few hours work but I'll be a tenner on fuel so not that great when you think about it but its a windy customer.
At £50 for a few hours work and £10 fuel expense clearing gutters I'd have thought you are very underpriced. To be using £10 on fuel you must be driving a significant distance. I imagine that's an hour or two driving time to be added to the working time. I'd be aiming for £50 an hour on the tools per person. At a driving distance of no more than about 10 miles, probably much less. Slightly further would be acceptable if it tied in with other work on the same day.

At £50 for a few hours work and £10 fuel expense clearing gutters I'd have thought you are very underpriced. To be using £10 on fuel you must be driving a significant distance. I imagine that's an hour or two driving time to be added to the working time. I'd be aiming for £50 an hour on the tools per person. At a driving distance of no more than about 10 miles, probably much less. Slightly further would be acceptable if it tied in with other work on the same day.
Our prices start from £65-75 for any gutter work and at that price would expect it to take  no more than 20-60 muinits 

Aye its a half hour drive. Was meant to do it last week but the gutters were frozen. I have a compacted round about 10 miles away that I do once a month which makes it worthwhile. Like to be reliable so I do jobs that are not worthwhile at the time but become worthwhile when they fit into my rota. My van passed its mot today so only one job tomorrow in the afternoon.

Aye its a half hour drive. Was meant to do it last week but the gutters were frozen. I have a compacted round about 10 miles away that I do once a month which makes it worthwhile. Like to be reliable so I do jobs that are not worthwhile at the time but become worthwhile when they fit into my rota. My van passed its mot today so only one job tomorrow in the afternoon.
Well done on the MOT pass. ?

Less circa £5k a year costs, if you're frugal, no holiday or sick pay, no pension contributions. All of these will really equate it to a gross wage of £400 a week, not much above minimum wage.
What about tax and NI and payment on account?£5k at the very least for  business expenses and another 5k  or so on tax and NI....so that 30k(if he does work 5 days a week at £140 a day for 11 months of the year)is down to £20k already.....doesn't sound that great now does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
How were your existing customers when you switched over from trad to wfp? I've read on FB groups people moaning about wfp leaving water on the windows and how they only want trad ?

Last edited by a moderator:
How were your existing customers when you switched over from trad to wfp? I've read on FB groups people moaning about wfp leaving water on the windows and how they only want trad ?
Try it for yourself and see the benefits. If you look most people use wfp. When done correctly it gives a superior clean. Speaking from an ex traditional window cleaner. You have to educate your customers. The hardest part people don’t get is that you walk away and leave them wet. When they dry with no marks and all the frames cleaned, they are impressed. If you haven’ t done them thorough enough. Go back and reclean if you have complaints. The biggest hurdle that’s stops conversion is usually yourself, holding back. Not the customers. 

The amount of work I've picked up in the last 11 years since I switched to WFP is amazing.....all with zero advertising(apart from a sign written van)...

Its BECAUSE I use WFP and im not a ladder monkey anymore......??

I'm still new to wfp, only been doing it 2 months (after 5 years of trad). I'm only making £140 per day atm (10am-4pm) which is terrible. 
There been some good replies here in this thread...

My questions @Amazinwith the workload you have currently, how long did it take you to do the same amount of work during the same hours (10-4) doing it trad?.

(10-4) how many wfp jobs are you currently doing in that time?

(10-4) how many trad can you complete in that allotted time, with 5 years doing trad?

How many days are you working (10-4)?

The reasons in me asking these questions is not to be nosy, I think there's many ways to increase your revenue...

Try it for yourself and see the benefits. If you look most people use wfp. When done correctly it gives a superior clean. Speaking from an ex traditional window cleaner. You have to educate your customers. The hardest part people don’t get is that you walk away and leave them wet. When they dry with no marks and all the frames cleaned, they are impressed. If you haven’ t done them thorough enough. Go back and reclean if you have complaints. The biggest hurdle that’s stops conversion is usually yourself, holding back. Not the customers. 
wfp is all i do, i only started being a windy in November. i was asking the OP how his customers were when he switched over.

explaining that the windows will dry naturally and smear free is something I've had to explain on some of my jobs

Yep I see that. Would still be nice to know  how many jobs he does a day ,after 2 months on wfp to get 140 quid
Hey @Ian Dockseysince you're just starting out.

Let me get give you some advice that was given to me 30+ years ago when I started my first business.

Marketing and consistency is the key to growth.

You can have that much work easily, you have to go get it if wait for it to come to you you will starve to death in the beginning.

Everyday you go with out growth in your business, is a wasted business day.

Hope this helps you. 

Back