Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How to stop tank lid leaking

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Aqua

I've got a 500 litre upright tank, generally I only need to put around 400 litres in for the day. But at times like today I have some big jobs which mean I like to fill it up to the brim. Add to this the fact that they at times are a bit of a drive and I would end up getting there with quite a bit of water having spilled out the breather on the lid. 

I found the best solution up to now was to put some polythene over the opening before screwing the lid in then taking this out when I got to the job. 

So I did this today get to the job after about 45mins drive and see water running out the side door. What a mess it had made inside the van. 

Getting a bit fed up with it so just wondered what everyone else does? 

@Aqua

Smear a thin layer of Vaseline around the seal inside the lid and the lip of the tank and tighten the lid down. I do this. The only leak I have occasionally is through the vent. If I brim the tank I put a towel around the lid to catch any water escaping through the vent. Its very little.

Its the same procedure a mechanic uses when changing a spin on oil filter when servicing your car. They lubricate the seal with fresh engine oil.

We fitted a 500 liter tank to my son in laws van about 9 years ago. He stopped cleaning 5 years ago and gave me the tank back as he sold his van.

His tank lid always leaked. I made this Vaseline suggestion and he ignored it.

I took his tank and smeared the lid seal with Vaseline, I turned this tank on its side and filled it with water up to the vent through the outlet. Water never leaked from the seal. He just shrugged his shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a piece of polythene larger than the hole and screw the lid down on this.......just put a few perforations in the polythene to let the tank breathe....it doesn't leak anywhere with this not even the breathe hole on the lid.

I've got a 500 litre upright tank, generally I only need to put around 400 litres in for the day. But at times like today I have some big jobs which mean I like to fill it up to the brim. Add to this the fact that they at times are a bit of a drive and I would end up getting there with quite a bit of water having spilled out the breather on the lid. 

I found the best solution up to now was to put some polythene over the opening before screwing the lid in then taking this out when I got to the job. 

So I did this today get to the job after about 45mins drive and see water running out the side door. What a mess it had made inside the van. 

Getting a bit fed up with it so just wondered what everyone else does? 
I would look at putting something like a sponge on the inside of the lid, allows air flow but stops water coming out the breather

Thanks for the replies. 

I will give the vaseline a try first as it sounds the easiest option. 

I must admit I'm not really sure exactly which part of the lid the water is coming from as it's hard to tell. But when I fill it right up it leaks an awful lot. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back