Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Howdy from Bournemouth!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hey all

Potential newbie window cleaner here.

After giving up my reasonably paid employed job due to mental health reasons (there's a reason why call centres have such a high staff turnover!) I've been trying to figure out what to do going forwards.

After much deliberation I'm thinking of going into window cleaning, possibly diversifying to offer gutter/roof cleaning and pressure washing down the line.

I don't currently drive so am thinking of adapting my adult tricycle (a Pashley Tri 1 which has a luggage shelf between the two back wheels) to use whilst I start to build things up and can save enough money for driving lessons and such. Pretty much thinking of just making a basic wooden box to mount onto it - and work out how much water I can lug around.

Will be offering traditional cleaning to start (see above - not sure how much water I can carry!) - anyone got any suggestions for how to carry a ladder, or are the telescopic ones any good?

Cheers in advance :)

Hey all

After giving up my reasonably paid employed job due to mental health reasons (there's a reason why call centres have such a high staff turnover!) I've been trying to figure out what to do going forwards.

After much deliberation I'm thinking of going into window cleaning, possibly diversifying to offer gutter/roof cleaning and pressure washing down the line.

I don't currently drive so am thinking of adapting my adult tricycle (a Pashley Tri 1 which has a luggage shelf between the two back wheels) to use whilst I start to build things up and can save enough money for driving lessons and such. Pretty much thinking of just making a basic wooden box to mount onto it - and work out how much water I can lug around.

Will be offering traditional cleaning to start (see above - not sure how much water I can carry!) - anyone got any suggestions for how to carry a ladder, or are the telescopic ones any good?

Welcome.
If I remember correctly there was/is a lady on here (sorry can't remember her name), she started with a bike with a trailer and even had her child in a special seat. She posted some picture a few months ago I will see if I can find the thread.

Found the thread:
Any female window cleaners on here?
Have a read there (couple of pages as later she posts more picys and weights etc).
I know she was Water Fed Pole but it might give you some ideas?
Awesome! I've been trying to figure out if it's even possible but was struggling to find any links/photos of other peoples' set ups.

I'm thinking my set up doing a more "vertical" box on the back of the trike to convert it to more of an ice cream style "cargo trike" (something I had been meaning to do for a while anyway - I currently use an old motorbike top box for luggage, serves me fine for when I go fishing at least!).

Awesome! I've been trying to figure out if it's even possible but was struggling to find any links/photos of other peoples' set ups.

I'm thinking my set up doing a more "vertical" box on the back of the trike to convert it to more of an ice cream style "cargo trike" (something I had been meaning to do for a while anyway - I currently use an old motorbike top box for luggage, serves me fine for when I go fishing at least!).
I don't know how much research you have done yet but you can do traditional cleaning (squeegee and applicator) with a pole. So that might mean you don't need ladders! Just so you know, I have only been window cleaning for about 9 months but did about 6 months research before. I don't do ladders as I view the risk to me too high in the event of a fall. I just do Water Fed Pole unless absolutely necessary and I have to do trad.

Have a look at YouTube for 'Polzn Bladz' and 'TRAD-MAN THE WINDOW CLEANER' I'm not saying that either are perfect as both are biased on equipment but they do have good content (Trad man more so than Polzn Bladz). I think Trad man had a few on pole work specifically like this is one:

The first thing you really need to do is research your local area and find out home many window cleaners there are. Google 'window cleaners near me' and look on facebook for window cleaners advertising on groups local to you.

As for kit, don't go in B&Q etc and buy their kits, they are for people cleaning their own windows now and again and are generally poor. Go for Unger or Moerman (I prefer moerman as if you start with that and get a good technique you can reduce or eliminate detailing work (wiping edge of the glass as other squeegees miss it).

So with a 25lt barrel for your water, a bucket, couple of squeegees, BOB (Bucket on a belt), fairy liquid, some decent cloths, and a pole you should be fine on the bike. Remember it's advisable to have public liability insurance just in case you have an accident (some cover the glass you are working on others don't so be careful).

? We’re from Bournemouth,
Sunny sunny Bournemouth,
and if you can’t hear us we’ll sing a lil’ louder!! ?

Hope it goes well mate, I have no experience with starting up traditional, but keep asking the questions on here and people will answer

Hey all

Welcome , loads of great advice to be grabbed on here, enjoy the ride.

Well I've been out trying to practise on our own windows - or rather was just starting when a couple of chaps turned up for a house over the road and start pulling out their wfp - quick run and hide for me! The couple of windows I have done though are "ok" - few streaks and a heck of a lot of spider webs and sticky tape from birthday banners etc. Should be charging myself first clean rates!

Latest Posts

Back