Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is gas powered hot water any good?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’m considering adding a portable gas shower system to our cold water van. Not for use every day of the year but for use on days like today, we ended up a van down as it just kept freezing up. Looking for some kind of review from someone who uses one. Recommendations for a good one would also be greatly appreciated.

@steve garwood might be your man as he used one for quite a few years
I used a ‘fogwash’ from Peter Fogwell who’s sadly dead now. It was a good machine and lasted 10 years!
Although I did only use it when conditions were icy.
I always used the red bottles of gas as they don’t freeze and had stickers on the van for legal reasons to let people know there was gas on board.

You're probably already aware of the risks so I won't harp on, but be careful!
I think the risks are overstated by most mate. People use portable showers and transport gas in campers and caravans all the time. I do think controlling the emissions is an issue and it doesn't seem worth installing a vent in the roof for a system only used when it's at or near freezing.

I used a ‘fogwash’ from Peter Fogwell who’s sadly dead now. It was a good machine and lasted 10 years!
Although I did only use it when conditions were icy.
I always used the red bottles of gas as they don’t freeze and had stickers on the van for legal reasons to let people know there was gas on board.
Thanks Steve. What's the score with the gas emissions from the machine? From what I can see they're meant to be used outside. Every install you find on YouTube etc doesn't have a vent to the roof but they do seem to be near the door of the van, I assume this is the way of venting the gas emissions away.

I think the risks are overstated by most mate. People use portable showers and transport gas in campers and caravans all the time. I do think controlling the emissions is an issue and it doesn't seem worth installing a vent in the roof for a system only used when it's at or near freezing.
If you lad who has your 2nd van can get electricity out to the van then I'd just do what I do mate, oil-filled rad and an aquarium heater a decent extension lead with rcd you might spend £100-150 to get this sorted.

Thanks Steve. What's the score with the gas emissions from the machine? From what I can see they're meant to be used outside. Every install you find on YouTube etc doesn't have a vent to the roof but they do seem to be near the door of the van, I assume this is the way of venting the gas emissions away.
I had mine bolted to the back door so used to leave it open.
I mainly do big private gated houses, so this was fairly secure

If you lad who has your 2nd van can get electricity out to the van then I'd just do what I do mate, oil-filled rad and an aquarium heater a decent extension lead with rcd you might spend £100-150 to get this sorted.
I may be misunderstanding but the problem is the water freezing while he’s working. It’s apparently -7 here today but the van has been reading between -11 & -9. The vans are all at my house overnight, I can stop them freezing overnight just not while we’re working.

I may be misunderstanding but the problem is the water freezing while he’s working. It’s apparently -7 here today but the van has been reading between -11 & -9. The vans are all at my house overnight, I can stop them freezing overnight just not while we’re working.
Ahh gotcha, they do know not to stop water flow?

I have an inline tap so can reduce the water flow in between walking from one house to the next to avoid water in the hose freezing

If it's freezing on the glass on jobs whilst cleaning then it's going to freeze once they walk away and the customers won't be able to see out of the windows not good if it doesn't melt for 1-2 days

If you have a few vans have a look at Hot Boxes, used by pressure washers, that can heat the water while you transfer it to the van. Something like this, but fairly sure there are cheaper and better options.

You probably know but legally a gas bottle should be in a compartment sealed off from inside the van with gas drops etc. Plus heaters in motorhomes/campers are designed to be used in vehicles and so are made to withstand vibrations etc.
You are a sensible chap so you are probably aware of the risks and know what you are doing.

If you have a few vans have a look at Hot Boxes, used by pressure washers, that can heat the water while you transfer it to the van. Something like this, but fairly sure there are cheaper and better options.

It's on the shopping list but I'm about to buy another van which will be leaving the coffers bare for a while haha. The gas heater is sorting the problem for less than £300

You probably know but legally a gas bottle should be in a compartment sealed off from inside the van with gas drops etc. Plus heaters in motorhomes/campers are designed to be used in vehicles and so are made to withstand vibrations etc.
You are a sensible chap so you are probably aware of the risks and know what you are doing.
I barely know how to dress myself in the morning so don't be so sure haha. I've had a good look and decided I'm going to mount the heater and bottle to a sack truck. This way the install will be able to be used outside of the van. From what I can see, much like a plumber carrying gas for a job, if the install isn't a permanent feature and just used on the job site I'm ticking the legal boxes.

I barely know how to dress myself in the morning so don't be so sure haha. I've had a good look and decided I'm going to mount the heater and bottle to a sack truck. This way the install will be able to be used outside of the van. From what I can see, much like a plumber carrying gas for a job, if the install isn't a permanent feature and just used on the job site I'm ticking the legal boxes.
Do us a favour and post what you come up with. Interested to see this!

There was a cleaner on here by the name of Smurf. (I think he got banned from here, I believe, but he never applied to come back. It was a pity because he was a very knowledgeable and helpful chap giving plenty of good advice. I liked him.) This is how he operated his hot water system, according to his posts. He wasn't a fully fledged window cleaner, as his core business was gutter clears. If he was doing anything such as conservatory roof cleans, soffits and gutter cleans, having a portable gas water heater allowed him to heat water from a customer's outside tap.

These tankless water heaters have to be drained down. If the water in their heat exchanger freezes, then it's a new heater.

Last edited:
There was a cleaner on here by the name of Smurf. (I think he got banned from here, I believe, but he never applied to come back. It was a pity because he was a very knowledgeable and helpful chap giving plenty of good advice. I liked him.) This is how he operated his hot water system, according to his posts. He wasn't a fully fledged window cleaner, as his core business was gutter clears. If he was doing anything such as conservatory roof cleans, soffits and gutter cleans, having a portable gas water heater allowed him to heat water from a customer's outside tap.

These tankless water heaters have to be drained down. If the water in their heat exchanger freezes, then it's a new heater.
This is true. Easy to do though, just a little screw next to the water connectors ?

Yeah but it's literally freezing to the floor as you go. I'd rather we were down a van than making puddles all over peoples gardens.
Hot water isn't going to stop this though it will delay the freezing, those puddles will still be there and turn to ice whether it's within 10 seconds or 10 minutes, I get why you want hot water as this will enable you to get through your work but you aren't removing the risk of those puddles freezing.

The weather is back to normal as off tomorrow with daytime temperatures above freezing looks like it's getting above 10c down your way next week if I was you I'd still consider aquarium heaters safe, simple and less of a clart on because it only takes some clown to start messing on with a heater on a trolley when your away from the van and ?

Latest Posts

Back