Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It all turned to **** overnight!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bad crack all round @Martyn I don't understand why if there hasn't being any cases for a while why social distancing etc should have been stopped. 

A good many people ain't got a clue how to follow simple rules and be respectful of other people until every single person grasps the very simple thing of hands, face, space it will continue to be rife, people are touching stuff in shops without sanatising their hands after going in too many people are pawing stuff, same thing at the petrol pumps and card machines in shops it's spread by touch things that other people have touched. 

The self isolating is out the window for my wife with regards to work related infections, 3 staff members have had covid but if all the staff went into self isolation because another staff member tested positive the homes resident's wouldn't have anyone to care for them. 

Bad crack all round @Martyn I don't understand why if there hasn't being any cases for a while why social distancing etc should have been stopped.
There hasn't been any Covid in our community for many months, the only cases have been inward travellers who have been in mandatory self isolation so have not presented any real threat to the community, having said that a lot of people have been giving others more space than they might have in the past.

We don't yet know the source of the current outbreak but likely to have been from someone who arrived in the Island very recently.

The track & trace bods are working flat out in a rapidly worsening situation.

Last year we were down for six weeks.

I always thought the vaccine was just a piece of the virus so our immune system can build up resistance to it in the future. ?
Apparently it's not even that, its a set of "instructions" for cells to make a certain protein that is on the outside of covid-19 cells without the virus. When this protein is created the body doesn't recognise it and has to learn how to attack it,  and in doing so "memorises" how to attack the certain protein and rid it from the body without the risk of the virus infecting you. This means that when the virus does infect you the body notices the protein and because it already knows how to attack it, it can do it quick enough that it destroy the virus before any ill effects.
The side effects of the vaccination are not from the virus as is widely thought, but only from the body giving everything it's got to learn how to destroy the protein. 

That's my understanding of it anyway hahah 

Max 

(Not a doctor, but a window cleaner ?)

Apparently it's not even that, its a set of "instructions" for cells to make a certain protein that is on the outside of covid-19 cells without the virus. When this protein is created the body doesn't recognise it and has to learn how to attack it,  and in doing so "memorises" how to attack the certain protein and rid it from the body without the risk of the virus infecting you. This means that when the virus does infect you the body notices the protein and because it already knows how to attack it, it can do it quick enough that it destroy the virus before any ill effects.
The side effects of the vaccination are not from the virus as is widely thought, but only from the body giving everything it's got to learn how to destroy the protein. 

That's my understanding of it anyway hahah 

Max 

(Not a doctor, but a window cleaner ?)
That's the Pfizer vaccine, that's how that one works and is a completely new type of vaccine never tried before.  The Oxford vaccine works in the same way as a flu jab, whereby it takes a part of the virus and mixes it with another 'safe' virus to deliver it into your body for your body to then produce an immune response.

I always thought the vaccine was just a piece of the virus so our immune system can build up resistance to it in the future. ?
Also in the adverts in papers saying 1 in 3 have it and unaware, so 1 in 3 are now immune surely, and when they give out the daily tested numbers saying so many positive cases recorded, then every one tested positive now have the immunity surely?

Also in the adverts in papers saying 1 in 3 have it and unaware, so 1 in 3 are now immune surely, and when they give out the daily tested numbers saying so many positive cases recorded, then every one tested positive now have the immunity surely?
The problem is the many strains out there. Every time the virus passes from person to person it mutates slightly and the vaccine won't work. I read all about 1918/19 and its pretty frightening. That virus affected a humans nervous system and I hope this virus doesn't mutate to do the same or 4% of the population could die like 1919. ?

I quite like it. Never been a fan of being to close to people. Like to be able to queue up in a supermarket or bank without someone over my shoulder. And I’m an introvert so I don’t enjoy social gatherings. Not keen on wearing a mask but I like everyone else wearing them. Saves me getting spat on when they talk to me. 
Miserable git!??

Immunity has been shown to be short lived, a few months at best so the herd immunity plan is discredited.

The problem is the many strains out there. Every time the virus passes from person to person it mutates slightly and the vaccine won't work. I read all about 1918/19 and its pretty frightening. That virus affected a humans nervous system and I hope this virus doesn't mutate to do the same or 4% of the population could die like 1919. ?
This virus attacks through the vascular system, it can attack all organs including the brain, it's scary.

This virus attacks through the vascular system, it can attack all organs including the brain, it's scary.
This is true, my mrs (paramedic) has seen a sharp rise in bleeds on the brain recently, she had 5 in one month (youngest being 19) and they have now found a link between these and Covid. 

This is true, my mrs (paramedic) has seen a sharp rise in bleeds on the brain recently, she had 5 in one month (youngest being 19) and they have now found a link between these and Covid. 
What I fail to understand is why no one will read "The great influenza" by John Barry. It gives a detailed account of the last pandemic in 1918 and then we would have an idea what's ahead of us. ?

Immunity has been shown to be short lived, a few months at best so the herd immunity plan is discredited.

That's actually not correct.  The virus doesn't 'attack' the body, it's not trying to kill people, it's actually trying to live.  For a virus to exist it needs a host, if the host dies then the virus dies.  It's the body's reaction to the virus that does the damage.

They say the vaccine is shown to be effective against variants of the virus, which is good, but the way the virus has adapted makes me think that it will find a way to get around the vaccine.  It adapts very fast, so just have to see how it reacts to the mass vaccines.

On a positive note Israels cases are showing a very fast drop in cases for the last 4 days now, obviously a lot depends on how they report cases, weather conditions etc but if the UK follows the same path then we could see the virus near enough disappear by the end of February, assuming that the vaccines work and the virus doesn't dramatically alter itself.

Currently our hospital admissions have dropped by a quarter in the last 7 days, at that sort of rate we will be looking at end of February looking more 'normal'.

Currently our hospital admissions have dropped by a quarter in the last 7 days, at that sort of rate we will be looking at end of February looking more 'normal'.
While any reduction is good. The schedule for mid Feb is only top 4 groups of people vaccinated. So that still means another 3 weeks before they have any immunity - be that only about 60% of them!!! By end of March all over 50's should have been vaccinated (if they wish) then it's another 3 weeks for reasonable level of immunity. So that makes it more like mid/late April!!! 

Don't want to put a downer on this as it's bad enough as it is but I can't see end of lockdown till March at earliest if not after Easter term! 

If you look at figures (https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data-explorer?zoomToSelection=true&time=2020-03-05..latest&country=ITA~ESP~GBR~DEU~FRA~PRT~NLD~AUT~BEL~IRL~ISR&region=World&casesMetric=true&interval=smoothed&hideControls=true&smoothing=7&pickerMetric=location&pickerSort=asc) you will see when 1st lockdown ended we had about 500 cases a day. We currently have over 35,000 cases a day and dropping. At current rate of reduction (halving of cases each 14 days) to get down to near 500 cases a day will take till  5th April! 

I really do hope the vaccine helps and people follow rules and numbers come down quicker.

Sorry if this sounds all doom and gloom. There is light at the end of the tunnel but looking at the stats I fear the tunnel is a fair bit longer yet!

Stay Safe everyone and follow the rules.

A carpet fitter at my girlfriend's works has just tested positive and feels fine...no symptoms whatsoever....he just decided to have one when his teacher wife had one last Friday....anyway my missus has just had one...she tested negative thank God!?

A carpet fitter at my girlfriend's works has just tested positive and feels fine...no symptoms whatsoever....he just decided to have one when his teacher wife had one last Friday....anyway my missus has just had one...she tested negative thank God!?
It is effecting people in very different ways.

My inlaws - Wife had vaccine week last Sunday by Wed she had symptoms - tested +ve, she tried self isolating in house but husband caught it and he tested +ve on Sunday, daughter had symptoms on Friday and had test and put in post on Sunday - expecting it to be +ve. There son has no symptoms!! Both husband and daughter had lateral flow tests - both negative!! 

My partners uncle (who has same blood cancer as her) is in ICU and they are talking about turning ventilator off!!

Stay Safe everyone.

Back