Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My First Full Year As A Windy!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Richard' date=' great post, I finished up today now self employed owner of a window cleaning business and I feel brilliant[/quote']

Keep that feeling going about your business; don’t let the window cleaning drag you down to feeling bored. (Your) business is exciting, keep it that way. Refine your cleaning method, refine customers, and refine your prices.

Richard

Well its been my first full year as a traditional windowcleaner. I started in October 2012 after 28 years of working in a court!. There was a degree of cynicism from some friends, family and colleagues when I announced my intentions to become a windy. It just made me more determined to make a success of it.
I have been looking back in the work diary for last year...some days were very sparse in terms of houses to clean. I remember, sometimes, wondering whether I would ever get enough customers (I imagine that this can be a dark time for some new windy`s). The truth is, it didnt take so long. By mid Jan 2012, I no longer had to do any canvassing. I had concentrated on doing a quality job, taking my time and ensuring the whole window unit was cleaned. It does pay off because you soon start to get recommendations. By mid Feb of this year there were no longer gaps in my diary and I have been super busy ever since. The books are full and I only take new customers if they are really close to other customers. That is the aim now...to condense my patch. Took six new ones on this week...all neigbours of existing customers.

Without doubt, the most frustrating aspect of the year has been the weather. I still find it hard to get used to the unpredictability. The second most frustrating aspect has been living with some of the bad quotes that I initially gave in my first few months. It always happens...we are all so keen to get our first few customers. But even some of the bad quotes have helped me get more customers...at least it gets you out there and seen. Other than that, its been all good. Still lots to learn and I still need to speed up....but I am not going to get hung up about the speed. I am not earning anything like some of the guys on here....nor getting through as many houses!

Thanks for reading.

ps...so glad the shortest day is nearly here.....cant wait for the days to stretch out again.
Very well done so far, you are on the right track, and the weather has been worse than average this year.

Back