Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie from Northumberland

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I started in a Nisan micra a number of years ago, I’d flatten the seats down had a plastic pole, trolley system and barrels in there. now I have a full round and a van mounted system set up how I like.
there were day though when building the round that were disheartening and if I’m honest depressing but if you can ride the lows the work is there to earn a good living. Chip away and graft and you’ll do good.
Best of luck.

I started in a Nisan micra a number of years ago, I’d flatten the seats down had a plastic pole, trolley system and barrels in there. now I have a full round and a van mounted system set up how I like.
there were day though when building the round that were disheartening and if I’m honest depressing but if you can ride the lows the work is there to earn a good living. Chip away and graft and you’ll do good.
Best of luck.
Thanks for the encouragement mate, I guess nothing comes without sacrifice eh.

What sort of kit did you start off with when you were doing it from your car? Not sure on what pole or starter kit I should buy.

For advice I would say you are in the very best place. There is so much great info here. I spent weeks on here before I started reading everything and making notes as there is just so much great info.
My first tip read, read and make notes.
I started in my car last June with a Gardiner Backpack, an SLX27 (bit heavy for all day use but great pole), 6 barrels, and a trolley, with a small 150GPD RO at home processing into a water butt.
I did 6 months in the car then bought a van with a system in and it's so much easier but you really need to test yourself and the local market before investing big time.

Good luck and keep us informed how you get on.
There is a thread on here by @HWCS about his first 50 customers that is a great inspirational read Upto 50 customers

INewbie in Northumberland here,looking to start out of my car with WFP in next few months. Hoping for some good craic and solid advice (ill need it)
I started April/May part time as I’m still working full time. Im working out of my car using a Purefreedom Nano trolley, Gardiner pole and 25ltr barrels. Got various brushes too. I’m building slow and steady as I want to have a solid decent paying round, I’m not looking to undercut other guys or underprice myself just to get the work in which is one of the benefits of being part time - if you don’t win a quote then not to worry (there’s also down sides to being part time as well though!). Although I’ve only been going a few months I’m already looking at vans, obviously it benefits yourself but it also looks a hell of a lot more professional. But the main things is though is as long as you do a good job then the customer isn’t really bothered what you rock up in. I’ve only got about 40 customers at the moment but tbh I havent really done any door knocking or leafleting. Not sure if gaining an average of 10 customers a month is classed as good or bad in this profession but like I said, I’m only part time so I don’t really feel that much pressure to get as many customers as possible (that pressure comes when I transition to full time!). I absolutely love the job though, wish I’d done it years ago, it’s a complete polar opposite to what I currently do, just wish I was in a better place to do it full time. Best of luck though!

I started April/May part time as I’m still working full time. Im working out of my car using a Purefreedom Nano trolley, Gardiner pole and 25ltr barrels. Got various brushes too. I’m building slow and steady as I want to have a solid decent paying round, I’m not looking to undercut other guys or underprice myself just to get the work in which is one of the benefits of being part time - if you don’t win a quote then not to worry (there’s also down sides to being part time as well though!). Although I’ve only been going a few months I’m already looking at vans, obviously it benefits yourself but it also looks a hell of a lot more professional. But the main things is though is as long as you do a good job then the customer isn’t really bothered what you rock up in. I’ve only got about 40 customers at the moment but tbh I havent really done any door knocking or leafleting. Not sure if gaining an average of 10 customers a month is classed as good or bad in this profession but like I said, I’m only part time so I don’t really feel that much pressure to get as many customers as possible (that pressure comes when I transition to full time!). I absolutely love the job though, wish I’d done it years ago, it’s a complete polar opposite to what I currently do, just wish I was in a better place to do it full time. Best of luck though!
Building slowly with quality customers is the best way rather than taking on everything and ending up with loads of pita customers/jobs

Thats what im looking to do mate, I work part time in the evenings so looking to build slowly with no pressure. My dad does it aswell and has a pretty big round so im thinking any work that he turns away he can point in my direction. I agree that theres no point in under selling your labour because those are the types of customers who will probably be trigger happy in sacking you off whenever they feel like it.

Thanks for the encouragement mate, I guess nothing comes without sacrifice eh.

What sort of kit did you start off with when you were doing it from your car? Not sure on what pole or starter kit I should buy.
Keep it simple to start with I had a trolly with built in DI resign and a car battery , it was too heavy and awkward by far!
if I was to do it again I’d get a Gardiner back pack, Gardiner 22 clx ( 22slx if you can afford) both good and workhorse poles that won’t let you down couple of 25ltr barrels and an Affordable water purification system to fill up at home.

Keep it simple to start with I had a trolly with built in DI resign and a car battery , it was too heavy and awkward by far!
if I was to do it again I’d get a Gardiner back pack, Gardiner 22 clx ( 22slx if you can afford) both good and workhorse poles that won’t let you down couple of 25ltr barrels and an Affordable water purification system to fill up at home.
Thank you mate, great advice.

Back