Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

One near miss to many

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I am guessing this question is aimed at me, for me I want good fast flow of water, which is plenty enough and powerful enough to rinse down the glass fast leaving no debris behind, I find the larger the jet the slower the flow which means the pump has to be turned up a lot more and thus using more water,I want to work at a decent pace and not waste water,

I know a lad who has a 1000ltr tank in his van uses 2mm pencil jets with his pump running on a high setting and doesn't care how much water he uses, even with his high setting the flow from the brush is slower than using 1.4mm jets, I just think it's wasteful and careless to use more water than needed. 

I tried  the 1:4 and found it was like using a pressure washer ?? and splashed everywhere, I find the 2mm gives a nice curtain of water over the whole area at a lower pressure if that makes sense with no splash back . 

I tried  the 1:4 and found it was like using a pressure washer ?? and splashed everywhere, I find the 2mm gives a nice curtain of water over the whole area at a lower pressure if that makes sense with no splash back . 
I find if you keep the brush just off the glass you get very little splashing. Somewhere between rinsing on, not a huge fan of unless 40'+, and rinsing off.

This is the benefit of the new Gardiner brushes, you can try the different types of jets and fans without having to buy a new brush. Still think the new brushes aren't as good or last as long as the older ones.

The old brass jets cost £3 the jet capsule things are £7 all plus vat so quite a lot dearer , they do work well however , I have never be one to change jets I always use the same no mater what we are doing . 

I think you're getting 'flow' mixed up with 'pressure'.  'Flow' rate is the amount of water leaving the pole, 'pressure' is the power of the water leaving the pole.  So I think what you mean is you want more power (pressure) so use the 1.4mm jets, to get that same power (pressure) on 2mm jets you have to turn the flow up a lot higher which uses more water.

In short if the flow controller is on a set setting, let's say a setting of '50' then a 2mm jet will have a higher flow than a 1.4mm jet but it will have less pressure than a 1.4mm jet.  Thus the 2mm jet would use more water as it has the higher flow rate.
I know what I meant ? but thanks for the well written an informed explanation

You need to turn the flow down I have mine on 30 at the moment using cold, I found it's also a mind over matter thing, I was so used to using 1mm jets for year then switching to the 1.4mm jets was really strange yet I knew because I was used to hearing the sound water made hitting the glass from 1mm jets I was thinking to myself the 1.4mm jets weren't as good but after about 2 weeks all was good. 

As for the brass jets I am the same as you, I prefer the cheapest and use all the same jets in each brush as once you're used to something you know exactly were you are at with them. 

I know what I meant ? but thanks for the well written an informed explanation

I've not got round to getting any yet, been meaning to try them out all year.  I have a feeling that they will be better for first cleans and the frames / sills as they will blast the dirt off, however I have my doubts about the final rinse.  If there was a switch on the pole that could switch between 2 sets of jets then that would be my preferred option (in dream land), I'd use a high pressure 1mm or 1.4mm for the clean and a 3mm for the rinse.

Are the Gardiners ones now the best option or would you still go for the machine mart?  Also why did you switch to 1.4mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info on this thread lads. 

If I change from 2mm to 1.4, will I'll have to get 1.4 hosing to fit into the back of the brush? 

Back