Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Perfect window cleaning weather

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I have a simple rule, with my "knowledge" of window cleaning would I be happy to pay for someone to clean my windows in the weather conditions. To me the last day and a half wasn't suitable. Nothing to do with personal conditions, worked in minus temperatures and poring down rain. Rain and wind doesn't work for me 
If the rain is rinsing the windows more than I am then it just doesn't seem worth it. A bit of rain is no problem but if it randomly starts coming down sideways or absolutely drenching you then it doesn't seem worth it. There comes a point where onlookers would think ''Look at this ??, he must be desperate for a bit of cash'' I know I would. I went out this afternoon with the intention of cleaning 5. 3 of them were on top of a hill where the wind was particularly strong so I didn't bother. I wonder if my mindset will be different when i'm full.

If the rain is rinsing the windows more than I am then it just doesn't seem worth it. A bit of rain is no problem but if it randomly starts coming down sideways or absolutely drenching you then it doesn't seem worth it. There comes a point where onlookers would think ''Look at this [emoji348][emoji773], he must be desperate for a bit of cash'' I know I would. I went out this afternoon with the intention of cleaning 5. 3 of them were on top of a hill where the wind was particularly strong so I didn't bother. I wonder if my mindset will be different when i'm full.
Ah don’t worry about the onlookers man. a few customers answered the door yesterday “you’re a bit brave to be out in this aren’t you”
My usual reply is either “it’s not gonna stop, it’s winter, all the way til april”
Or, “bills don’t stop for the rain & neither do i”
Then they have a think about it...nod, & see where i’m coming from. We actually picked up 3 new customers on the round which i was really surprised about, it’s nice to meet people who actually accept that rain is the norm, rather than messers who expect you to be a fair weather window cleaner.

Wind i agree with though as it just blows the water away from the jets, and the windows get crud blown all over them.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Nobody likes getting wet. End of.
But....... I think a lot of veterans with full rounds (like me and a good few on here ) just get on with it unless it's absolutely horizontal stair rods.
I've worked today until lunchtime until it went really bad, and when I collected tonight to the ones that aren't on direct debit ( don't tell the Gocardless police) a few of the houses were a bit mucky but no complaints (never really do)
But I don't really care, because when they sign up with me they buy into the "sometimes it rains doctrine" which is a two way street and something which is explained and they generally understand.
And to be fair they are fine with. It's only window cleaning not surgery.

Rain consistently lashing against windows is a no-no for me, I will try my best in most weather as once on some of the estates it can be more sheltered from the wind so I manage just fine a lot of the time, the weather was bad for 2 days last week and I just cracked on I will have to work 2 hrs tomorrow morning in the rain but that will mean all my planned work for this week will be complete and I had 5 full days of planned work this week. 

I haven’t had much option but to crack on as now the gutter clearances have started coming in again i need to get the windows done in order to move on to them. Very happy that the wheel is turning again to some degree as last week was the quietest week we’ve had all year. Tell ya something as well fellas i’ve been putting a teaspoon of honey in a cup of tea every day for the past few months, and I’ve had no hint of a runny nose, cold, sore throat or anything of the sort. It definitely works [emoji102]

Nobody likes getting wet. End of.
But....... I think a lot of veterans with full rounds (like me and a good few on here ) just get on with it unless it's absolutely horizontal stair rods.
I've worked today until lunchtime until it went really bad, and when I collected tonight to the ones that aren't on direct debit ( don't tell the Gocardless police) a few of the houses were a bit mucky but no complaints (never really do)
But I don't really care, because when they sign up with me they buy into the "sometimes it rains doctrine" which is a two way street and something which is explained and they generally understand.
And to be fair they are fine with. It's only window cleaning not surgery.

Same here. Did until dinner then sacked it off until collecting. . Many times I’ve cleaned windows on day Tuesday then gone back a couple of days later to collect payment and the windows look worse than before I did them. Not much you can do about it and it’s just one of those things and very very rare you will get pulled up on it. If everyone had the “no point as they will get dirty straight away”mentality then nothing would ever get done.

Before I started my window cleaner used to charge me £25, if he turned up in a storm I would have sacked him off. First time i'd ever stayed anywhere long enough to get a window cleaner. When I was a kid the chap used to come round fortnightly and charge a few quid, he would clean in most weathers no bother and no one would bat an eye. Like @Part Timer said, if I wouldn't be happy with someone cleaning my windows that day then I won't clean someone else's.

I haven’t had much option but to crack on as now the gutter clearances have started coming in again i need to get the windows done in order to move on to them.
I have been lucky enough to move onto those types of jobs and conny roof cleans when its raining but the add on stuff has dried up for me at the moment.

I don't see any benefit in being a ''clean in anything'' type of guy but then again I think it would be worse to be a ''rainy day stay away''. I cleaned in the snow earlier this year until the roads became unsafe. If there's a storm due I crack on but I really don't see the point of cleaning in the middle of it. I think you end up looking like a fool, just my opinion of course.

As soon as I can hear it on the roof of the car with engine running it's too wet in my eyes, I'll either sit in car and wait or sack it off for the day, depending on if it's a passing shower or its in for a while. With the wind when I can feel myself slightly pushing against it, that's me done. If it wet AND windy i stop a lot sooner, it's just not worth it sometimes

Before I started my window cleaner used to charge me £25, if he turned up in a storm I would have sacked him off. First time i'd ever stayed anywhere long enough to get a window cleaner. When I was a kid the chap used to come round fortnightly and charge a few quid, he would clean in most weathers no bother and no one would bat an eye. Like [mention=2712]Part Timer[/mention] said, if I wouldn't be happy with someone cleaning my windows that day then I won't clean someone else's.

I have been lucky enough to move onto those types of jobs and conny roof cleans when its raining but the add on stuff has dried up for me at the moment.

I don't see any benefit in being a ''clean in anything'' type of guy but then again I think it would be worse to be a ''rainy day stay away''. I cleaned in the snow earlier this year until the roads became unsafe. If there's a storm due I crack on but I really don't see the point of cleaning in the middle of it. I think you end up looking like a fool, just my opinion of course.
Yeah the contrast between summer and winter is massive, the phone went off twice last week [emoji53] and didn’t go off til friday! We had 3 days off through lack of work which is the first time that’s happened in i don’t know how long. Thankfully rain has arrived now and the gutters are coming in [emoji122]
Should keep us occupied til christmas

Yeah the contrast between summer and winter is massive, the phone went off twice last week
emoji53.png
and didn’t go off til friday! We had 3 days off through lack of work which is the first time that’s happened in i don’t know how long. Thankfully rain has arrived now and the gutters are coming in
emoji122.png

Should keep us occupied til christmas

It's been my quietest week since going full time. I remember from the last time I worked outside retail that Black Friday week usually is because people start thinking christmas presents and are too busy shopping so it may not just be the weather.

I haven’t had much option but to crack on as now the gutter clearances have started coming in again i need to get the windows done in order to move on to them. Very happy that the wheel is turning again to some degree as last week was the quietest week we’ve had all year. Tell ya something as well fellas i’ve been putting a teaspoon of honey in a cup of tea every day for the past few months, and I’ve had no hint of a runny nose, cold, sore throat or anything of the sort. It definitely works [emoji102]

A teaspoon of Elderberry syrup every morning works best, costs about a tenner for a small bottle in the shops, but my wife makes ours.

County Durham Lad

That’s interesting- I take honey in my coffee anyway instead of sugar. 

Just something I’ve done for a few years now just to cut out sugar, but didn’t think of the other health benefits from it. 

I hardly ever ever get colds either come to think of it.  Cannot remember the last time I was ill. 

That’s interesting- I take honey in my coffee anyway instead of sugar. 

Just something I’ve done for a few years now just to cut out sugar, but didn’t think of the other health benefits from it. 

I hardly ever ever get colds either come to think of it.  Cannot remember the last time I was ill. 
Interesting. I have real honey on toast every morning.

The reason for this is, I suffer very badly with hay fever.

If you take LOCAL honey to you all year round, it really helps.

Since I started taking it, I still get bad hay fever, but not in my eyes, which anyone that suffers with it will tell you is the worst part.

Luckily I have a customer with his own hives so it works out well.

Any of you near the Bromley area interested, pm me and I’ll give you his number ?

Anyway, enough about honey, time for some hops!

Have a good weekend fellow windies ?

Interesting. I have real honey on toast every morning.

The reason for this is, I suffer very badly with hay fever.

If you take LOCAL honey to you all year round, it really helps.

Since I started taking it, I still get bad hay fever, but not in my eyes, which anyone that suffers with it will tell you is the worst part.

Luckily I have a customer with his own hives so it works out well.

Any of you near the Bromley area interested, pm me and I’ll give you his number ?

Anyway, enough about honey, time for some hops!

Have a good weekend fellow windies ?
https://www.fullers.co.uk/beer/explore-our-beers/organic-honey-dew ?

Another thing - every time I've had a slight hint of an cold/flu/sore throat coming on I take a tspoon of turmeric mixed with honey, and so far, trying it 3 times, it's definitely worked and I've woken up with no illness.

Fish oil capsules every morning and turmeric tablets every night that’s for my arthritis but apparently both are good for the immune system too. 

Another thing - every time I've had a slight hint of an cold/flu/sore throat coming on I take a tspoon of turmeric mixed with honey, and so far, trying it 3 times, it's definitely worked and I've woken up with no illness.
I opened my kitchen cupboard yesterday and loads of omega 3 capsules fell on me!

Im ok though, just some super fish oil injuries ?

I opened my kitchen cupboard yesterday and loads of omega 3 capsules fell on me!

Im ok though, just some super fish oil injuries ?
What a load of old cods wallop lol

Definitely. And if you can afford it - Krill Oil is the best of the best fish oil you can buy.
Sounds like something off Star Trek lol seriously I will look into that in approx 1 years time as I just bought a years supply. 

Back